Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 12:33 PM
CII

152 posts, read 223,909 times

Advertisements

Breaking Bad was irrelevant. Most Americans cannot tell you where Albuquerque is. For that matter they can't tell you where New Mexico is. Miami Vice, The Wire, Bosch, Luther, MI 5, Fargo and so on for dozens of series depict certain locals as high crime locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 06:17 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
They do a lot of drugs in New Mexico also Breaking Bad did not help.
Who is "they" you are talking about?
And by "drugs," do you mean alcohol, marijuana, opiates or just what?
These kind of generalities bug the heck out of me.
If you're going to make this kind of general statement you should back it up with facts.

I think there's a lot of "they's" in a lot of places that do all sorts of drugs. But there are a lot more folks that don't.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:45 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
If you're going to make this kind of general statement you should back it up with facts.
According to this study, NM ranks 21st from the worst. Not that bad.

https://wallethub.com/edu/drug-use-by-state/35150/

Old 08-04-2017, 08:20 PM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CII View Post
Breaking Bad was irrelevant. Most Americans cannot tell you where Albuquerque is. For that matter they can't tell you where New Mexico is. Miami Vice, The Wire, Bosch, Luther, MI 5, Fargo and so on for dozens of series depict certain locals as high crime locations.
The title of the thread is about reputation, and Breaking Bad is quite relevant. if you travel around the U.S and places outside the U.S., many people are unsure of where Albuquerque is or know that it is in NM. But they all know about Albuquerque because they all watched Breaking Bad. Despite the economic benefit to ABQ of the show production, Albuquerque is inevitably linked to meth production, sale and use because of the show. That is not helpful to ABQ's reputation.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:41 AM

136 posts, read 141,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The title of the thread is about reputation, and Breaking Bad is quite relevant. if you travel around the U.S and places outside the U.S., many people are unsure of where Albuquerque is or know that it is in NM. But they all know about Albuquerque because they all watched Breaking Bad. Despite the economic benefit to ABQ of the show production, Albuquerque is inevitably linked to meth production, sale and use because of the show. That is not helpful to ABQ's reputation.
Sorry I disagree.
A reasonable person would realize that Breaking Bad is fiction. I liked Breaking Bad and I liked how it dumped some money into the economy and to see lots of local businesses featured in a major TV show was great. It is helpful to ABQ reputation because it made people realize that stuff happens here and is an important place. Again it is FICTION and should be enjoyed as such. The state badly needs the economy brought by film. I want to see more gritty films set it New Mexico.

Maybe as an antidote you can binge-watch "New Mexico True" tourism ads on youtube.

Also I hope the next mayor will invite COPS or similar shows here.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CII View Post
And of course most realize it is fiction (I hope).

Old 08-05-2017, 02:46 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbus View Post
Sorry I disagree.
A reasonable person would realize that Breaking Bad is fiction. I liked Breaking Bad and I liked how it dumped some money into the economy and to see lots of local businesses featured in a major TV show was great. It is helpful to ABQ reputation because it made people realize that stuff happens here and is an important place. Again it is FICTION and should be enjoyed as such. The state badly needs the economy brought by film. I want to see more gritty films set it New Mexico.

Maybe as an antidote you can binge-watch "New Mexico True" tourism ads on youtube.
I dont see how a show portraying ABQ as a major drug area is helpful to the city's reputation.It is good that the economy was helped but I would not be too proud of having your city as the setting of a tv series about meth.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I dont see how a show portraying ABQ as a major drug area is helpful to the city's reputation.It is good that the economy was helped but I would not be too proud of having your city as the setting of a tv series about meth.
Seriously, do you think "Better Call Saul" represents lawyers in this state too. If people can't separate fictitious shows on TV with reality than there really is no hope for them. Remember it is a "TV setting" not some slanderous documentary.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Seriously, do you think "Better Call Saul" represents lawyers in this state too. If people can't separate fictitious shows on TV with reality than there really is no hope for them. Remember it is a "TV setting" not some slanderous documentary.
I dont watch Better Call Saul.....I just know the Duke City is a high-crime city with lots of meth and other drugs

Old 08-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico