Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 06:25 AM

356 posts, read 506,338 times

Advertisements

If you like lava and are ever in central Oregon, here is a Youtube I did a couple of years ago of McKenzie Pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWJBqWC6rVg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 05:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,181,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
If you like lava and are ever in central Oregon, here is a Youtube I did a couple of years ago of McKenzie Pass.
I doubt that most people who have never visited the NW states realize the extent of the basaltic formations known generally as the "Columbia River Basalt Group." I am fascinated by the "columnar basalt" formations in cliff faces of the area. Here is a good introduction for anyone who is curious:

http://hugefloods.com/Basalt.html

A word of warning...for anyone passing through the Valley of Fires on US-380 and thinking about making a quick stop and hike into the lava. It's an extremely dangerous lava that can cut to the bone in an instant if putting down a hand to brace oneself - or to break a fall. It will rip right through a good pair of leather hiking boots if not careful. And a good sturdy pair of boots is a must for walking around on the lava.

Last edited by joqua; 10-03-2017 at 05:51 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 08:06 PM

887 posts, read 1,218,721 times
By far the spookiest hiking I ever did was in the malpais up by Grants. The cairns blend into nothing.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:33 AM

El Malpais is yet another destination on my list. There is so much to see in New Mexico!
Unrelated, but for those who have experienced these flows, it is easier to imagine the terror of the Army soldiers during the Modoc War near Tule Lake, California, in 1872-73 when the Modocs ambushed a company at what is called the Thomas-Wright Battlefield and sent them fleeing in terror over the rough lava to return to the main camp.
If anyone is interested, this is a fine account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv3NSN-8b3o

Old 10-04-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
1872-73 when the Modocs ambushed a company at what is called the Thomas-Wright Battlefield and sent them fleeing in terror over the rough lava to return to the main camp.
There are similar accounts about the Valley of Fire lava field and fleeing local Indian bands that knew a "secret" passageway through the flow. Chasing troopers were chagrined when they showed up on the far side of the flow, thumbing their noses (or whatever they did in those days).

Old 10-07-2017, 03:03 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,167,265 times
I've enjoyed reading this thread and watching the videos, thanks to all that posted.

:-)

Old 10-22-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
A word of warning...for anyone passing through the Valley of Fires on US-380 and thinking about making a quick stop and hike into the lava.
I found this old photo of US-380 crossing the lava flow at Valley of Fires. The view is looking east. The town of Carrizozo can be seen on the other side of the lava field, with the Sacramento Mountains beyond that.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunspot, New Mexico-malpis2a.jpg  

Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 AM

16,136 posts, read 10,814,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
By far the spookiest hiking I ever did was in the malpais up by Grants. The cairns blend into nothing.
I shredded a good pair of hiking boots at Malpais. It is an amazing place but it will take a toll on you.

Lava field...Malpais

Old 10-22-2017, 12:57 PM

887 posts, read 1,218,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I shredded a good pair of hiking boots at Malpais. It is an amazing place but it will take a toll on you.

Lava field...Malpais
Last trip out I let the grand daughter pick the next hike. Of all the places we have hiked she picked The Malpais again! So anyway besides the tarantula we got to watch some guy take off for the cairns in flip flops.

[IMG]Cell service. Nope. by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Tarantula! by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 10-23-2017, 06:01 AM

Great post, Threecats. It looks like a lot of the lava at Valley of Fires is pahoehoe. It is the aa lava that is nearly impossible to traverse safely. Wonder how quickly the guy in flip-flops bled out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico