Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,428 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to New Mexico but like so many, know little about areas within the state.

Our dream is about 40 acres wher we could have my horses, a mini farm for Dad and a stream/lake/river for irrigation access.

Dad is in his late 70s so medical care is important as is weather. He does not think he could handle snow or very cold climates.

Any areas that you may know that fit this discription would be appreciated.

Thanks

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 09:27 PM

215 posts, read 839,725 times
Are you set on New Mexico? I love it here, but you might also consider far west Texas, in the Big Bend region. Most of NM gets snow and cold at some point, and the areas where you can get 40 acres are often far from medical care. West Texas is the boonies too, but there is a hospotal in Alpine, which is surrounded by tons and tons of land. Water is less of an issue there too. In parts of NM, there are dire problems. Heck, you could get 400 acres along the Rio Grande in southwest Texas (Presidio County) for cheap. OK, so you'd be getting farther from hospitals there, but if you choose your region carefully you could do it. Look near El Paso (if you don't mind being so close to the border) or father east, like around Alpine, Marathon, Fort Stockton, or even Sanderson. Most of those places will put you an hour or less from a hospital with endless acreage around you.

I'm not saying there are no good places in NM. I just don't know any offhand. The places I know of where there are water and land are also in regions with snow and cold. Anyone else have some ideas?

Old 11-04-2006, 09:38 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Hmmm...

people outside of Clovis have horses and cattle and crops that are irrigated..there are medical facitilites but the city itself has issues and is not a place I would recommend for everyone without knowing what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. You would live out of the city of course, but if you have school aged kids it is not for you! It is a quiet life, nothing really scenic about the place.

Down towards the east side of Cloudcroft there are pastures, probably some water too - you know Ruidoso is a big horse area..I don't know how much a ranchette would go for down there as it is a resort area.

Other than that, I would venture to say maybe Tijeras area and up towards Las Vegas..I will write back if I can think of others.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:04 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
Well, for no snow and warm weather plus lots of land and great medical, I would look in Texas too. You might check around San Angelo, plus you can go down to San Antonio for even more stuff to do and excellent medical. San Angelo, though, has great medical, nice area, lots of ranches in the area and virtually no snow. It does get real hot in the summer and it is hot a long time, but if that doesn't bother you, a place to look into.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 AM

215 posts, read 839,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Down towards the east side of Cloudcroft there are pastures, probably some water too - you know Ruidoso is a big horse area..I don't know how much a ranchette would go for down there as it is a resort area.
I know this area. It's fairly high -- 8,500 to 7,000 -- so it's definitely snow country in good years. Water is iffy during times of drought. Some areas are fine, but others are not. Ruidoso is 7,000 feet. Also snowy, though not too much unless you're up at the ski area. Not sure about water there.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:13 AM

265 posts, read 873,484 times
Default Capitan area

You might check out the Capitan area north of Ruidoso. I know there are horse farms in the area and it is lower elevation than Ruidoso so warmer climate. Not sure about 40 acres though. My impression is that they are more like 5 acres or so. Haven't been to the area yet, but I plan to make a trip early next year.

Jim

Old 11-07-2006, 08:24 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
I know this area. It's fairly high -- 8,500 to 7,000 -- so it's definitely snow country in good years. Water is iffy during times of drought. Some areas are fine, but others are not. Ruidoso is 7,000 feet. Also snowy, though not too much unless you're up at the ski area. Not sure about water there.
I am actually thinking further out - about 40 miles east on that back highway that goes towards Artesia..before you start winding up the foothills of the mountains..there is prarrie like land out there but lower in elevation.

Saw a few farms out that way the few times we drove it, but I would be concerned about water either way, and no hospitals in the immediate area.

But it is sooo peaceful and heavenly.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 AM

15 posts, read 150,972 times
Default Tall Order!

That's a tall order for New Mexico. If you did find a place with all those amenities, it would cost a fortune!

Bob

Old 11-14-2006, 06:32 PM

105 posts, read 147,075 times
Almost all of new mexico gets snow. I lived in El Paso which is right south of NM in the center. West Tex can get cold but Alpine,like one poster suggests, is pretty nice but isolated. Ilike the texas coast Rockport area but theres something to be said for the desert.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 7,428 times
Default Thank you

Thank you for all that answered our questions. I believe we will take your advise and turn our search attention to Texas or possibly some of the area in New Mexico that were mentioned.

I'm still hoping for NM.

Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico