Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 01:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,000,731 times

Advertisements

I have done some research regarding getting to public land via crossing a private road and it seems in NM that one cannot cross "any type" of private land to get to like: BLM/state lands?

The land owner will not let anyone cross his road like at an intersection to get to the public land for like hunting/fishing! the only other access is to drive about 10 miles around

Does anyone have the rule in NM re: this...I also looked at the Fish and game rules but not able to find any definite rule.

Thanks,
HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Does anyone have the rule in NM re: this...I also looked at the Fish and game rules but not able to find any definite rule.
I say this without the knowledge of law but I believe as long as the road is truly private, the landowner has every right to have a locked gate across it and prevent trespassing. If there is a history of use by the public, there may be legal redress if one is suddenly denied access. Another factor is whether the road has ever been maintained by the county (ie; taxpayer funding).

Old 11-05-2011, 06:22 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
I have done some research regarding getting to public land via crossing a private road and it seems in NM that one cannot cross "any type" of private land to get to like: BLM/state lands?

The land owner will not let anyone cross his road like at an intersection to get to the public land for like hunting/fishing! the only other access is to drive about 10 miles around

Thanks,
HW
I never quite understood this logic. There is a 5500 acre ranch near where we live and it used to be hunting grounds open to the public (but private owned). It changed hands and the new owner put up a big fence (he is a true conservationist) and banned everyone from trespassing and hunting. Believe it or not, he got sued (he won naturally). But I don't get the logic though - it is private land, if the owner says you are out, you are out (unless there is an easement of some sort in the books). I am not a lawyer but I would say, drive the 10 miles

On the other hand, there was a similar case in Florida and the public won...
OD

Old 11-05-2011, 06:28 PM

49 posts, read 129,390 times
Quote:

Thanks,
HW
HW, yes that is the law. My friend in Alamogordo was challenged with this, and he is in the right. He does not have to let anyone cross his properity to get to the BLM land - there are other ways to get in. He and the neighbors are tired of getting all the trash left around.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilegal1 View Post
He and the neighbors are tired of getting all the trash left around.
There was a time when it wasn't a problem crossing private ranch lands. But as time wore on, ranchers got tired of having their windmills and watering tanks shot full of holes, fence wire cut, gates left open, and other acts of negligence or outright vandalism. Just another case of a few bad apples spoiling it for everyone else.

In my area in recent years the BLM and Forest Service have both tried to shut down side roads that were being used for off-roading by people who have no regard for what their ATVs do to the land. But just closing roads doesn't always prevent continuing abuses and enforcement is a real challenge.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
HW - Have you tried asking the landowner for permission for you and selected guests to use the road for access? The owner may be willing to give permission for a few but not for the general public.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,000,731 times
Well actually, after further investigation the landowners land is between BLM land and state land.
So, he blocked the BLM road as it is the first road in, then the road gets to private land then a little further on the road becomes state land.
The Landowner is a real no a very nasty person. So NO Way he would give a billy goat permission to travel over his part of the road. Seems like a really weird way to divide up property with a 100 feet strip between the BLM land and the state land.

I don't need the hassel of this situation.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
If it is that important check with the county clerk (whoever keeps the registry of deeds) and see if the State or the BLM has a right of way across the 100 ft piece of private property. If they do and the owner still refuses use complain to the owner of the ROW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico