Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2006, 10:46 AM

8 posts, read 45,332 times

Advertisements

We like the notion of Mountainaire, but it is really small, and are worried there will be too few services (healthcare, petsitting, veterinary, etc.) there, so are checking out Belen. It seems easy enough to get 2-3 acres there, which we want. Appears it has population of 7,000-8,000. Can anybody give information on:

Crime rate
Shopping
Health care availability
Veterinary services

Thanks much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 12:26 PM

22,925 posts, read 28,298,223 times
Belen is one of the worst towns in NM. Crime is really, really bad there.

Check out City Data's list of Least Safe cities in the US. Belen makes the list.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:50 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,291,578 times
Property crime seems to be really high. Probably due to the drug and gang problems they have. Illegals probably have something to due with it also.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:38 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,471,934 times
Also an area for internet-sales land scams. Be very careful where you invest your real estate money. Ebay is no substitute for a qualified realtor or land-use attorney.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:51 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,349,683 times
My boyfriend's mom has lived there for 15 or more years and although she is careful about leaving things out ect... she seems to think it is OK. He has visited several times over the years and he likes it for the golf course community where his mom lives and the mountain views. She lives out away from town across the Rio Grande so it's not like she lives downtown. They have a Walmart and she is happy with veterinary services as she has wild cats she feeds and has spayed or nuetered when she catches them. All in all I don't think it's a terrible place unless maybe you live downtown. There is not much shopping there but Albuquerque is just up the road for that. Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:50 PM

68 posts, read 355,686 times
Default some belen info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmross105 View Post
We like the notion of Mountainaire, but it is really small, and are worried there will be too few services (healthcare, petsitting, veterinary, etc.) there, so are checking out Belen. It seems easy enough to get 2-3 acres there, which we want. Appears it has population of 7,000-8,000. Can anybody give information on:

Crime rate
Shopping
Health care availability
Veterinary services

Thanks much!
go to www.nmbiz.com (broken link) there is a write up on belen under the community focus section..

Old 11-04-2006, 09:21 AM

35 posts, read 103,951 times
Although above is an older post, the www.nmbiz.com, denies access ~permission not granted etc., to bad, as Belen is on our list of towns we're very interested in moving to.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 11,052 times
Default Ebay Scams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Also an area for internet-sales land scams. Be very careful where you invest your real estate money. Ebay is no substitute for a qualified realtor or land-use attorney.
Steve or Anyone else- Do you have any specific instances of particular e-bay land scams in Belen? Also what types of scams- are they people just trying to dump land with hidden easements, undevelopable land, problems with uninsurable title, or "ocean front property" in New Mexico? I'm curious because one of my friends (no, this isn't code speak referring to myself , it is actually one of my friends) has bit the bullet on buying some land in Belen for a few hundred dollars on ebay and it sounded way too good to be true. Just wondering if you or anyone had any specifics or information on these types of scams they are running so I can point my friend in the right direction. I've read some articles on these types of scams, but I haven't seen much else and thought I'd pick the forum's brain for info. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:17 PM

68 posts, read 355,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcburns View Post
Although above is an older post, the www.nmbiz.com, denies access ~permission not granted etc., to bad, as Belen is on our list of towns we're very interested in moving to.

tcburns..you are right..i dont know why new mexico business journal is not allowing access..it was working fine last week...the website was under construction for about 2 or 3 years, its been back online now for about 5 months....keep checking, they might be having technical difficulties..

Old 11-08-2006, 01:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,199,501 times
Default Land scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I have noticed that there have been a lot of land deals on eBay for the Deming area lately. They don't sound all that great to me, certainly without going out to the area to have a look at it myself and finding out more about how much improving the site would cost. Just be careful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico