Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I was in Belen once and a guy tried to start a fight with me at golden corral for looking at him. Crazy guy.
Mmmm...it's a well-known cultural thing. Staring at the wrong person can get you killed for "disrespecting" the person you're staring at.

Quote:
A former gang member convicted in a deadly beating in the 1990s is accused of stabbing a man last week because he supposedly disrespected him while playing video games, documents state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 01:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmaloy View Post
I would like to find out anything about Rio grande estates as I inherited 3lots there, I know there is no water or utilities. How do I find out where these lots even are?
go to the Rio Communities center: I am sure they have a website. I will tell you from actually owning lots there til a few years ago, they are worth next to nothing right now. Hopefully in time this may change. YOu can also visit the site Poncho suggested and get some information.

Nibbidy: I have to ask you, how many years ago did you have the problem at Golden Corral? I have a feeling it may have been years ago. One encounter doesn't mean the city is bad or good for that matter.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:38 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
I like the Rio Communities area as my mom in law has a house and I think it's a nice neighborhood but I don't care for the town of Belen. It seems run down to me. Ghetto-ish.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:11 PM

204 posts, read 389,166 times
Belen is a horrible, crime-ridden, dying town. Los Lunas is much better but with only a single road to handle east-west travel traffic is a nightmare. Much worse than you would expect for such a small town.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:39 PM

887 posts, read 1,216,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
Belen is a horrible, crime-ridden, dying town. Los Lunas is much better but with only a single road to handle east-west travel traffic is a nightmare. Much worse than you would expect for such a small town.
Old post I know. I swung in once on the east side of 25 just to have a quick peek at some of the newer homes from the street. Like you said that has to be a nightmare because it was pretty jammed mid day. I did not spend much time but it really looked like the town had most everything one would want as far as retail and places to eat. I was surprised to see all that I did and it's on my short list.

I have yet to explore the west side of 25 but for some reason I don't think it has as much to offer in that regard. Could be wrong.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:05 AM

I was thinking "old post" as well, but sometimes it is good to bring back those posts. Someone new to the forum might be curious or need the information. Now, I will say to those interested in the areas south of ABQ, look at Los Lunas or Bosque farms. I hate to say that, but it is true. Belin, which we called home for 7 years is a dying city. It was apparently when we lived there and hasn't changed much. Actually Rio Communities, just across the bridge is a better bet. It is now its own city, was part of Belin when we lived there. The biggest problem with any of that area is medical facilities. we voted for a hospital clear back in 2006 there still have none and have very few doctors.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:25 PM

887 posts, read 1,216,401 times
Just want to clarify that my post a couple up was referring to Los Lunas, not Belen.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Just want to clarify that my post a couple up was referring to Los Lunas, not Belen.
I for one thought you must be talking about Los Lunas. We haven't been back since about 2012 but I do know there is a lot going of growth on the west side of Los Lunas as well. It certainly is something to be considered.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:16 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,811,922 times
Well...

Last year my wife and I stopped into Belen on our way to Santa Fe. The USB chord for her iPhone was shorting out, and we couldn't listen to iTunes on the radio any longer without constant interruption. We stopped off at the Walgreen's on Main Street to buy one after having unsuccessfully located one at an independently owned convenient store down the road (though we were panhandled). We go to the electronics section, and to our dismay, we cannot take the 9 dollar chord off the rack because it is chained so as to prevent theft. Then we notice the entire electronics section's items are similarly secured with locking devices. It seemed like 10 minutes before the clerk could successfully free the chord from the shelf. Imagine how horrible the incidence of crime must be if a retail store has to secure items of such low value.

Los Lunas, from what I hear, is no better when it comes to property crime. Someone I know who works in the DOJ who is familiar with an Albuquerque police detective told me that the city has been very successful in the last decade driving gang members out of the city. They don't disappear though. Rather, they go out on the perimeter and inhabit rural towns outside the city. Meadow Lake is yet another notorious landing ground for these characters.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Well...

Last year my wife and I stopped into Belen on our way to Santa Fe. The USB chord for her iPhone was shorting out, and we couldn't listen to iTunes on the radio any longer without constant interruption. We stopped off at the Walgreen's on Main Street to buy one after having unsuccessfully located one at an independently owned convenient store down the road (though we were panhandled). We go to the electronics section, and to our dismay, we cannot take the 9 dollar chord off the rack because it is chained so as to prevent theft. Then we notice the entire electronics section's items are similarly secured with locking devices. It seemed like 10 minutes before the clerk could successfully free the chord from the shelf. Imagine how horrible the incidence of crime must be if a retail store has to secure items of such low value.

Los Lunas, from what I hear, is no better when it comes to property crime. Someone I know who works in the DOJ who is familiar with an Albuquerque police detective told me that the city has been very successful in the last decade driving gang members out of the city. They don't disappear though. Rather, they go out on the perimeter and inhabit rural towns outside the city. Meadow Lake is yet another notorious landing ground for these characters.
Meadow Lake is and has always been a very high crime area, not just property crime either, but that certainly represents must a small area, adjacent to Los Lunas. Los Lunas itself has no more crime than any area around ABQ or near any other major city in our country. There is no place free of crime. As I mentioned and i lived in the area for 7 years, Los Lunas is much better than Belen, even better than Rio Communities which we enjoy calling it home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico