Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:54 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,786,110 times

Advertisements

Drop into this thread....the more ideas, the better! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,458 times
Glenwood,NM is a nice small town that has that rare combo of mild winter with almost no snow and is amazingly green...at a relatively low elevation of 4,700' it is surprisingly well treed ...no hint of desert ...lots of big Fremont Cottonwoods and Arizona Live Oak...good sized trees too ....just a few miles away from the fantastic "Catwalk" ...a great place to explore ...also Mogollon Ghost town...and mountains ....lot's of mountains ....it's at the western edge of Gila Wilderness ...I think Glenwood is a real gem...only downside is it's not close to any cities ...it's approx 65 miles northwest of Silver City,NM and approx 50 miles northeast of Clifton,AZ .......average annual rainfall is around 18" (double most NM lower elevation places)

GLENWOOD,NM
Mo HI /LO
JAN 57/26
FEB 61/29
MAR 67/32
APR 74/38
MAY 82/44
JUN 91/53
JUL 92/60
AUG 89/59
SEP 85/52
OCT 76/42
NOV 64/30
DEC 57/26

Not too cold in winter....not too hot in summer ...almost perfect !

Old 10-15-2007, 05:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
IIRC Glenwood also has the GOLDEN GIRLS CAFÉ that was a great breakfast stop between Silver City and the Catwalk. It would be too quiet for my wife and a bit too far from large medical facilities otherwise is a stunningly beautiful tiny town.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 AM

631 posts, read 2,446,371 times
I sell land in 4 diff. counties. I don't know the whole state, but I do think Magdalena has great weather. Mild summers and winters. It's a friendly population and a thriving little town. I also have beautiful 20-30 acre parcels for sale. Right now I have a seller desperate to sell and has his lot priced way below value, 30 acres for 49K. It's a premium parcel with premium views, about 15-20 minutes from town.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 17,252 times
Default Wanting To Buy Land In New Mexico

My husband is thinking about buying land (now) in the greater ABQ area and then building a house on it in a few years. We'd probably want 1 to 4 acres, although to be quite honest, I'm not sure what we'd do with more than an acre. (That's lots more than we have now!!) Anyway, I've done a little snooping around to see what prices are like for houses, as well as land, and I can't see that this will save us any money. However, I was just curious if anyone had an opinion about this, or could venture a guess as to how expensive it is (now, anyway) to build a house. It seems more trouble than it's worth, and possibly more expensive than just buying a house, but he seems to think it's a viable option. I think he's afraid that land is disappearing fast around ABQ!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:11 PM

385 posts, read 1,556,133 times
I do believe land is being bought up within 80 miles of Albuquerque. I have some land that has allegedly tripled in four years because of the interest, especially from out of staters, in buying. A lot of that land is available for the price of an upscale car so for folks out of California, they can almost pay cash for it. The water situation is complex so really look into that aspect. The building of a home is something I did look into. I was not really impressed with contractors I spoke to and I really couldn't get referrals as I live in Southern New Mexico about 2.5 hours from the property. That was my other dilemna-being around enough to provide oversight. I cannot imagine just sending a crew out on five acres in the wilderness and have them take care of everything. It won't happen. That is why I think so many people end up putting modular, pre-fab or trailers on land. Part of it is the cost but I think part of it is convenience. I go round and round in my mind over this. I have tabled it for now given the real estate market. I really do not know what the cost to build in terms of price per square foot is. In southern New Mexico it seems to go all over from $100.00 per square foot to $175.00. I have heard people tell me they have built homes for around $50.00 per square foot around Alamogordo, High Rolls, Cloudcroft, Timberon...maybe they have. Maybe it didn't include the land too so I don't know. Good luck. It is an interesting thought.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:10 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Ruth Rosenthal poked around:

> My husband is thinking about buying land (now) in the greater ABQ area ...
> ... anyone had an opinion about this, or could venture a guess as to how expensive it is ...

I would imagine that you get what you pay for and the cheapest stuff is in the group least likely to be livable or be a good investment. You can buy 0.75 acres near the mountain for $500k and an acre or so for $250k in the North Albuqueque Acres area. (some more, some less - even $1million/acre). There is a lot of other stuff out there for much less.

You can search here:
MLS
for land and homes

If you are going to plunk down money in a place (I assume) you know nothing about, why not make a trip out here to see if you like it? Even if I had an income of seven figures, I still wouldn't put $10,000 on a real estate investment without going out and standing on the place myself.

If the investment is significant to you, then even spending $1,000 for the trip would be worth it for as little as a $10k investment.

Hint: If you didn't thoroughly enjoy your trip, find a place elsewhere to invest. If you did. Wait. Think about it and make *another* visit. Then buy if you still have the itch.

Note there are lots of properties in forclosure across the country right now that were once 'owned' by people who wanted to get in before the price got 'away from them.' There's always something desireable and reasonably priced available to patient people (investors). This applies to art, real estate, stocks, etc.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 12,854 times
Wink Land in New Mexico

I am very familiar with land in Santa Fe. I have lived here all my life. I live in La Cienega which is on the southeast side of Santa Fe and was once and old farming community. It is the greenest side of Santa Fe and has natural springs. 10 min to the south side of town and about 20 min to the plaza. You can still find property in this area with water rights and there is a live acequia that runs through La Cienega. People still use there water rights to irrigate there property in this area.

On the SW side of town there is Pecos which is mountain property. Lots are priced reasonably but you may need four wheel drive it is very beautiful. In Pecos there is a river and property near the river is hard to find and very expensive if you do find it. NW Santa Fe County is La Tierra and Las Campanas, lots of million dollar homes and lots of restrictive covenants. Easy access to down town it is a popular are for second home buyers who visit on their off season. Lots range from 250,000. - 500,000, depending on views and improvements.

NE is Tesuque village very quaint and peaceful. Lots are small and pricey but the area is gorgeous also NE is Hyde Park, foothills to our ski basin very expensive property lots of million dollar homes. Santa Fe’s East side is historical. , direct access to downtown. Houses are expensive in this area. North of Santa Fe is Pojoaque, Arroyo Seco and La Mesilla. A little bit of a drive but you can still find reasonably priced lots compared to the properties close in to town.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 12,854 times
Santa Fe it self has a very low crime rate but it is true that up north in Espanola, Pojoaque, Arroyo Seco and La Mesilla there are alot of problems. That is why the property is priced more reasonable. Santa Fe is nothing like Albuquerque.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:09 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Thanks for the information. Pricy, I do not need. Criminals can be lived with or controlled. I think I'll look to the south of Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico