Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:41 PM

15 posts, read 38,101 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been browsing here for quite some time. My fiancee and I are looking into relocating to NM. Both of us own online businesses, so employment isn't an issue for us. I'm looking for ideas on where to relocate to in NM.

What we're looking for:

1. Reasonably bike friendly (I love to ride and hate to drive)
2. Somewhat dense (ie: not generic urban sprawl)
3. "Liberal" tolerant (I'm not looking for Berkeley though...)
4. An area with character (older homes strongly preferred)
5. Must be within an 1.5 hours of a major airport (I travel often for work).
6. Something near a college would be nice (I'd like to have interns do a lot of the work for my business).

House price = under 200k. I'm willing to renovate if its in a nice part of town.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by dang133; 10-16-2007 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,554 times
You would need either ABQ or El Paso airports. I see you are looking into Colorado also.
Good luck on your search.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM

Thanks. Would ABQ fit the bill?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:13 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang133 View Post
Thanks. Would ABQ fit the bill?
Not sure, I live in Alamogordo. I would suggest you read more of the posts about each city you are thinking about. Then take a trip to each city or state you are considering. That would be well worth the time and money spent.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,544 times
Talking Dang 133...The best location in the nation!

How about Cleveland, Ohio?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Your list sounds like mine except I don't have an online business (yet). I would suggest Socorro or somewhere between Albuquerque (I just love typing that name) and Santa Fe.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:32 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I responded to your post over on the Colorado forum. I'll take a stab here since I have a lot of familiarity with northern New Mexico (down to about Albuquerque), too (40 years worth of familiarity, if someone is asking). Unless you can be satsified with a regional airport (Farmington, for example), you're pretty much going to have to be within proximity to Albuqueque. In the price range for housing you have quoted, Santa Fe, which would be close enough to the Albuquerque airport, is out of the question.

I will get flamed here by Albuquerque residents who disagree, but I do not find the Albuquerque metro area especially agreeable. I love its setting, but Albuquerque and its suburbs insist, like most other Western cities, is sprawling into the same automobile-dependent suburban ghettos that all of those Californians constantly are leaving California to escape--only to create more of it wherever they go. Rio Rancho, for example, in my opinion, is a great model of everything to do wrong in building a new community--it's the same kind of suburban mess that will become unsustainable when energy prices explode (which they are going to). Unfortunately, for metro Albuquerque, most of it has been built in the last 40-50 years on that same model.

The one area of Albuquerque that might fit all of your bill is the area near Central around UNM. However, I had a friend who lived there for several years. He moved after his home was broken into 4 times in little more than a year--the last time at midmorning when he and his wife were home. Yes, he did have a security system. He had lived in New Mexico for over 40 years and worked at Sandia. When he retired, he left the state--he'd had enough of Albuquerque's vibe--that is, the crime problem.

I might make a suggestion here: You might want to check out Salt Lake City or Ogden, Utah. There are some great neighborhoods in central SLC that would fit your bill, and are very close to the SLC airport. Like Albuquerque (which I admire New Mexico for doing, though I know it is unpopular when many there), Utah is aggressively building a rail transit system from SLC to Ogden which will make commuting there much more tolerable. Many people shy away from SLC because of the LDS "issue," but that is not really a big deal in my mind. I've done a fair amount of business in Utah over the years and it hasn't bothered me (and I am not LDS). The Wasatch Front has a lot of sprawl problems, too, but it still has many "distinct" communities with older homes and "core" downtowns. Like Albuquerque, SLC has spectacular mountain country literally right out of its back door. There is even city bus service to a fair amount of it. The only downer to SLC is the smog in the winter, which can be pretty bad. Just a thought.

Last edited by jazzlover; 10-17-2007 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I responded to your post over on the Colorado forum. I'll take a stab here since I have a lot of familiarity with northern New Mexico (down to about Albuquerque), too (40 years worth of familiarity, if someone is asking). Unless you can be satsified with a regional airport (Farmington, for example), you're pretty much going to have to be within proximity to Albuqueque. In the price range for housing you have quoted, Santa Fe, which would be close enough to the Albuquerque airport, is out of the question.

I will get flamed here by Albuquerque residents who disagree, but I do not find the Albuquerque metro area especially agreeable. I love its setting, but Albuquerque and its suburbs insist, like most other Western cities, is sprawling into the same automobile-dependent suburban ghettos that all of those Californians constantly are leaving California to escape--only to create more of it wherever they go. Rio Rancho, for example, in my opinion, is a great model of everything to do wrong in building a new community--it's the same kind of suburban mess that will become unsustainable when energy prices explode (which they are going to). Unfortunately, for metro Albuquerque, most of it has been built in the last 40-50 years on that same model.

The one area of Albuquerque that might fit all of your bill is the area near Central around UNM. However, I had a friend who lived there for several years. He moved after his home was broken into 4 times in little more than a year--the last time at midmorning when he and his wife were home. Yes, he did have a security system. He had lived in New Mexico for over 40 years and worked at Sandia. When he retired, he left the state--he'd had enough of Albuquerque's vibe--that is, the crime problem.

I might make a suggestion here: You might want to check out Salt Lake City or Ogden, Utah. There are some great neighborhoods in central SLC that would fit your bill, and are very close to the SLC airport. Like Albuquerque (which I admire New Mexico for doing, though I know it is unpopular when many there), Utah is aggressively building a rail transit system from SLC to Ogden which will make commuting there much more tolerable. Many people shy away from SLC because of the LDS "issue," but that is not really a big deal in my mind. I've done a fair amount of business in Utah over the years and it hasn't bothered me (and I am not LDS). The Wasatch Front has a lot of sprawl problems, too, but it still has many "distinct" communities with older homes and "core" downtowns. Like Albuquerque, SLC has spectacular mountain country literally right out of its back door. There is even city bus service to a fair amount of it. The only downer to SLC is the smog in the winter, which can be pretty bad. Just a thought.
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into downtown ABQ, I've been to Rio Rancho, its not what I'm looking for. SLC was my first choice, but my fiancee used to live there and hated it. .

Old 10-17-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Your list sounds like mine except I don't have an online business (yet). I would suggest Socorro or somewhere between Albuquerque (I just love typing that name) and Santa Fe.
Socorro is awesome. I stayed there one night on a cross country bicycle trip. Amazing town.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang133 View Post
Socorro is awesome. I stayed there one night on a cross country bicycle trip. Amazing town.
You're hilarious !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico