Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,916,246 times

Advertisements

Catman - What would you be doing in Socorro? We are very seriously considering it as a retitrement/snowbird town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 48,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang133 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been browsing here for quite some time. My fiancee and I are looking into relocating to NM. Both of us own online businesses, so employment isn't an issue for us. I'm looking for ideas on where to relocate to in NM.

What we're looking for:

1. Reasonably bike friendly (I love to ride and hate to drive)
2. Somewhat dense (ie: not generic urban sprawl)
3. "Liberal" tolerant (I'm not looking for Berkeley though...)
4. An area with character (older homes strongly preferred)
5. Must be within an 1.5 hours of a major airport (I travel often for work).
6. Something near a college would be nice (I'd like to have interns do a lot of the work for my business).

House price = under 200k. I'm willing to renovate if its in a nice part of town.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Las Cruces is only 30 Minutes from the El Paso airport. You did not post where your moving from. I came from a surburan area of NJ (June) mostly for the weather but i found that this town will meet most of your requirements
What we're looking for:

1. Reasonably bike friendly (I love to ride and hate to drive) Yes

2. Somewhat dense (ie: not generic urban sprawl) spread out over some 20 sq miles so may not be a good fit here

3. "Liberal" tolerant (I'm not looking for Berkeley though...) mostly democrat (i am mostly republican) no issues

4. An area with character (older homes strongly preferred) Old & New in the same area lots of selection

5. Must be within an 1.5 hours of a major airport (I travel often for work). I am closer to El Paso airport with a quick check in as compared to Newark which was a total mess weekly parking for example is $22.50

6. Something near a college would be nice (I'd like to have interns do a lot of the work for my business). New Mexico State U Go Aggies!! Utep (in El Paso)

House price = under 200k. I'm willing to renovate if its in a nice part of town. my daughter just bought a new 1 bedroom condo (apx 925 sq ft with garage) for 121k two were about 135. there are all types of homes/areas to choose from and it really is a buyers market

Also I have DSL (Quest) and work from home but comcast is the main cable provider here. All sorts of cultural fiestias also check out Messilla close by and older homes like you are asking about

Farmers named Las Cruces one of it safest mid size cities to live in 2007

Love it here

Old 10-25-2007, 01:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,237,528 times
Default Doin's in Socorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Catman - What would you be doing in Socorro? We are very seriously considering it as a retitrement/snowbird town.
I'd probably mostly be retired, with occasional trips to Albuquerque to play gigs. It's within a reasonable distance, although I wouldn't want to do it more than twice weekly. From what I've been able to pick up, it's a good place to live if you like the outdoors, and I do. My astronomy and motorcycle riding would work out really well there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico