Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 8,064 times

Advertisements

I was shocked to read all the comments on this page. I was born and raised in Gallup. I am sorry if you all had to experience only the bad side of Gallup. There is much to do in Gallup and their are other alternatives to the public schools. And never have I heard of "whites" being targeted for any reason. Maybe you just feel uncomfortable being among so many hispanics and native americans, (they are NOT all Navajo, there are many other tribes living in Gallup). That is why it called a 'culture shock', and if you're friendly enough, you will be treated equally. And Wal-Mart and other stores in Gallup are packed on weekends, especially at the beginning of the month, because there are no decent stores on the Reservations bordering Gallup. On weekends, when everyone is off work and have gotten paid, they come to the nearest town, which is Gallup and spend their money. The crime rate is not so high as well. And Gallup is not a drunk town. Their may be panhandlers, but just ignore them and they will leave you alone. Call the local Chamber of Commerce for more information, the friendly and helpful ladies at the Chamber will answer all your questions and help you out in anyway they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 06:31 PM

20 posts, read 113,309 times
I have to disagree with Marcie. I think if you are born and raised here, you don't really have an objective opinion. By virtually any measure, Gallup is by far the worst town I have ever lived in.

The panhandling is out of control. I will not allow my wife and children to go downtown after dark. Expect to be approached about half the time you shop at Walmart.

Gallup's lifeblood is supplying alcohol to the Navajos (the Navajo Nation is a dry reservation, so the border towns have a booming business supplying alcohol). The last mayor tried to clean it up, but he left and the new mayor is "old school." Expect the alcohol and street crime problem to get worse, not better. Public drunkeness is not against the law, and it's depressingly common to see public urination, vomiting and bloodshed in the area around 2nd and Coal...the heart of downtown. When the drunks are picked up, if they are Navajo, they are taken to a facility called NCI where they are treated for alcohol dependency, kept for a few days, then released. There will be 30 or 40 people taken in each day, but because it's a civil commitment and not a crime, it isn't reflected in crime statistics.

With all due respect, when Marcie says that Gallup isn't a drunk town, she's just flat wrong. The very fact that NCI exists proves it.

Marcie, if you have never heard of whites being targeted, then you must not have read the Gallup Independent a few months ago. The superintendent of Gallup-McKinley County schools was recently forced out, by all appearances due to her race. One Navajo politician was quoted in the Independent as saying that the superintendent should be fired because 1) she's white, 2) the politician is a lawyer and "knows" the law, and 3) in his opinion, it's only illegal to discriminate if the jury finds against you. She took a buyout instead of being fired.

Gallup does have some bright spots. The scenery and outdoor activities are fantastic, and there are a ton of friendly people. I really enjoy the dry weather, with mild summers and no humidity. Camping at McGaffey and Bluewater Lake is outstanding, and there are active youth sports leagues in all the major sports. After four years, however, the negatives far outweigh the positives and I'll be moving shortly.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I'll bet Gallup has fewer drunks and panhandlers than the Downtown Crossing in Boston on any summer day. I passed about 6 people still sleeping on the street this morning at about 6:30 on my way to work. Of course there are probably more people within three blocks of this corner than there are in all of Gallup.

That is the main reason I want to retire to NM. Way fewer people and a lot more area.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 AM

13 posts, read 59,472 times
I grew up in Aztec, and usually traveled through Gallup on trips to ABQ when my dad felt like taking "the long way". I was never impressed by the town, but I never really stayed long enough to know what it was like.

Aztec is a Navajo Nation border town as well, though there is more even mix of cultures in the Farmington/Aztec area. But I remember my son being one of two pale-skinned kids in a kindergarten class of 25 kids... suited me just fine. He still doesn't know what the big deal is about the color of skin, and he is now in middle school.

Have you learned the concept of Navajo time yet? Or do you still show up to gatherings at the announced time? My friend has a Navajo clock... all the numbers are in a jumble at the bottom and the hands don't work. I like it

I think that if Farmington proves it can handle two Wal-Marts, that Gallup will soon have another one.

As for the white gravy craving, go ABQ and that diner everyone's been talking about... I imagine it would be worth the trip. Otherwise, I guess you will have to learn how to make gravy. I still can't, and I've been trying for too many years to think about

Old 08-07-2007, 06:35 AM

271 posts, read 1,174,782 times
Gallup is about poverty and alcohol abuse. New Mexico does lead the nation
in both but gallup is right at the top so if I were to be offered a job in Gallup,
it would have to pay a lot of money. I've lived in New Mexico for years and
I still cannot get used to looking at all the signs of the blatant poverty.
The few times I've been in Gallup I have noticed people laying on the sidewalks drunk with people walking around them. Maybe it's changed but
I don't think so. If you have kids I would really reconsider your possible move.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
I stayed in Gallup on my way to visit friends in Albuquerque-I live in western Colo. About a year ago. Got a great meal from an Italian restaurant a block away from Motel 6 where I was staying.The next morning am leaking antifreeze.Great, I thought.Found a mechanics shop near downtown. The owner dropped what he was doing, got a top radiator hose, and had me on my way in 45 minutes. He only charged me $38. Anywhere else it would have been double that figure, and I told him so.He shrugged his shoulders,simply saying that he appreciates out of towners staying in Gallup; that they were not getting the action other areas of the state was on the tourism front. Gallup has had a bad rap for a long time. But an experience like that is a step in the right direction.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 21,847 times
Thumbs up Gallup

I've been reading these forums and I've heard a lot of negativity. I recently applied for a job in Gallup (I'm in AL right now) and I live in a town that is about the same size. But honestly, Gallup seems to have ten times what this place has! I do not understand the negative reactions to the ethnicity there. Of course you are going to have a predominance of Native Americans there. That should be EXPECTED. Before I even applied, I knew the dynamics of the area. Honestly, I really think I will enjoy it there because I will be able to once again immerse myself in a completely different culture. It's really all in how you view it. It's your own attitude about it. I hope I get the job.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 21,847 times
I also need to point out, that the town I am currently living in is going to h*ll. It is a poverty town, and I have read about Gallup and when the median income for Gallup is $40,000 and it's only $28, 300 for the place I am currently living, then Gallup looks GREAT. If you think Gallup is bad, you really need to look around you. There are worse places!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:22 PM

28 posts, read 101,551 times
I lived in tohatchi about 20 miles outside of gallup on the reservation and also in gallup working at the homeless shelter run by mother teresas sisters,casa san martin...not much to do in gallup,i walked around downtown at night all the time never had any problems...a bit of trivia...bob dylan is from gallup

Old 03-03-2008, 10:58 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG74K View Post
...a bit of trivia...bob dylan is from gallup
Nope... untrue. This is a falsehood that he tried to promote in an interview many years ago.
He was actually born in Duluth Minnesota and raised/attended schools in Hibbing Minnesota.
He only lived in Gallup for less than a year, but I guess he thought that saying he was from Gallup sounded cooler than saying he was from Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico