Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 AM

717 posts, read 1,957,328 times

Advertisements

I've been an artist all my life. It's been both a gift and a curse. Hoping New Mexico will finally open doors for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 AM

888 posts, read 890,127 times
I came across this post by accident. I am working with an Artist Rep in Central Illinois who develops relations with galleries as well as attempts to seek out new talent and then put the two together.
She has become disillusioned with the scene in Central Illinois (she also does work in Chicago) and is thinking about relocating her business to Santa Fe. She had been to the city many times and loves it.
The plan would be to explore all of the NM art communities and get in touch with talented artists who are not currently showing/being exposed - but who wish to do so. Anecdotal evidence from gallery owners have been that it's hard to keep up with new artists moving in the area, and because the galleries must stay open, they have less time to go on the road.
The Artist Rep to whom I am referring is a true road warrior and loves to meet all kinds of artists.
Would Santa Fe, in your opinion, be an adequate base for a new business relocation of this type, or is it too saturated?

South Beach is another option as well...
Anyone want to put in their .02?

-palermodude

Old 11-29-2007, 01:43 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,103,614 times
palermodude wondered :

> ... plan would be to explore all of the NM art communities ...
> ... is a true road warrior and loves to meet all kinds of artists.

> Would Santa Fe, in your opinion, be an adequate base for a
> new business relocation of this type, or is it too saturated?

Sure, if you have unlimited funds and are not trying to make a living.

Otherwise, just plop down somewhere central that is inexpensive and looks like a fun place and work from there. It's easy to visit Santa Fe from Albuquerque or even Belen.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:16 PM

It's all in the light! Uh oh, think I'm speeling again

Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM

888 posts, read 890,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
palermodude wondered :

> ... plan would be to explore all of the NM art communities ...
> ... is a true road warrior and loves to meet all kinds of artists.

> Would Santa Fe, in your opinion, be an adequate base for a
> new business relocation of this type, or is it too saturated?

Sure, if you have unlimited funds and are not trying to make a living.
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion for Belen or other surrounding small towns and work from there. Are you sure it would take "unlimited funds" to start it up in Santa Fe and make a living? Or is that an exaggeration? The Artist Rep I know here has been in business for a long time, and it has been quite profitable, especially in Chicago - so relocation to NM would leverage close proximity to artist development opportunities and actually expand a business already running smoothly.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 PM

We looked initially at Belen and found it to be in an apparent state of malaise. Looks like a former "boom town" THAT WENT BUST! Had to move on down the road from there as it turned out.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:46 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,103,614 times
palermodude asked a different way:

> Are you sure it would take "unlimited funds" to start it up
> in Santa Fe and make a living?

Well, I admit I was using a bit of hyperoble, but according to the business model you were proposing, I didn't see a need to locate in a relatively expensive place versus locating in a relatively inexpensive place.

Santa Fe is certainly a good location, but you not only have logistical issues with congested streets, but a generally more expensive place to do business.

If you are going to be driving all over the state anyway, I reasoned, why locate there?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 AM

35 posts, read 104,099 times
Hmmm. It's all relative I suppose, but I didn't find Santa Fe to be particularily expensive or congested - but we live in Chicago.

A few years back we made a massive trip thru NM looking at various cities, galleries, the local 'vibe' and so on. As an artist I was greatly interested in the gallery scene there, and was surprised a diverse in style and media it was then, and would personally think a artist rep. that pulled much of the scene together would be a very good thing. I'd bet your friend Palermodude would be unique there, and would like to get together with this person myself!
That said there is way more art, galleries, artists and buyers in Florida - and for all that opportunity there are a number of artist reps already working that scene - probably room for one more I suppose. But we found NM to be special - clear, dry days - a different breed of folk, tougher more independent was our impression.

As to the art we found: Santa Fe and Taos speak for themselves and are easily checked out via the 'net or magazines. Socorro - one small, high quality gallery, and 3 years ago about 40-45 artists in the community.
Las Cruces - college with art dept., and if you look at the student work it is fresh and not regional as I'd feared.
Deming - small art coop gallery, very mixed stuff; there is a large private gallery down the street - 7,000 sq feet! - with world-class quality works, primarily by locals. As good as any gallery in Chicago.
Silver City, lots of artists, many galleries - seemed kinda' insular to us. One gallery owner was somewhat hostile to our questions - perhaps a super bad day, but it's tainted our view of the art community.

Ruidosa - Aspen want-to-be town. Lots of money, galleries, and artists spread out in the little towns around.

Cloudcroft - I thought it was 'way cool', but tiny, my wife was horrified by the drive into Alamagordo for a commute to work.

Some quick impressions - hope your friend goes on down. For an artist to make it there the sales area has got to be as wide as possible - think excursions up to Denver, over to Dallas etc.
tim

Old 11-30-2007, 09:08 AM

Fascinating read, tcburns. May refer to these impressions of yours as I, too, seek my place in the New Mexico art scene. As I'm also a tattooist I'll be seeking a small storefront in the TorC/Elephant Butte region from which to commence operations

Chicago, by the way, has always been one of our favorite side destinations when in the MidWest visiting our daughter at Notre Dame.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,768,090 times
Default schools... for dc to nm

DC to NM

Santa Fe i& Taos are meccas for artist workshops, but then you don't have to live there to access the workshops. Moving from the DC area, the real estate prices in Santa Fe may not seem so horrible. It's all relative.

Any of the New Mexico school districts have a "report card" to give statistics, test results, drop-out rates, etc. For example, if you go to Santa Fe School District website & click on "portfolio" in the left-hand menu you can compare schools:

Santa Fe Public Schools - SFPS HOME

You can do this with all the school districts in NM.

We are from NM & have a home on the high road to Taos. As a past New Mexican teacher, I think NM schools have a very diverse population of Anglos, Hispanics, & Native American students. It makes for an exciting mix.

It sounds like you & your husband both work for yourselves, which means all of NM could be open to you.

Dixon, New Mexico is a beautiful small town with a strong artist community situated halfway between Santa Fe & Taos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico