Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:28 PM

68 posts, read 356,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I tried to find out more about Roswell while ago by looking at their city website, and quite a bit of it didn't work ("not found" when links were clicked on). That isn't a good sign. I've been through it several times on the way to Ruidoso for the motorcycle rally in September, and it looked interesting, although parts of it are funky. It has its own symphony orchestra, which is unusual for a city of its size. So I suppose it's a mix, like most places.
go to roswellnm.org and also roswell-nm.gov...and chavescounty.net....3 updated roswell city websites .......there is alot going on there,, check it out !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 PM

68 posts, read 356,535 times
Default roswell info

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson fan View Post
Is Roswell a cool town? How is the cost of living there and the quality of life for a married couple about 38 years old with no children? Thanks for any help, Clemson Fan.
check out these websites,,,,,roswellnm.org and roswell-nm.gov and chavescounty.net... they are all new with updated info..

Old 09-28-2006, 12:25 PM

23,008 posts, read 28,481,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post

Maybe these crimes are really outer-space related. Has there ever been a really definative explanation on what happened there? I hear all the stories and remain a disbeliever but someone that I worked with years ago swore that he saw a UFO and asked to take a polygraph to prove it!
My grandfather worked as a lineman for many years in eastern NM, and he saw many, many things in the sky that he could not explain. But you have to keep in mind that eastern NM has several airbases --- and 40+ years ago had many, many, many more. Missile silos litter the land between Portales and Roswell. The stealth planes were tested there long before they became public knowledge.

Are there UFOs in eastern NM? You bet. Are they alien visitors? I say no. They're military craft.

High crime in NM has more to do with poverty than anything else.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,824 times
Default been there

There's deffinately aliens in Roswell, but they are from Mexico.
Maybe that's why it's "crazy" and maybe the "aliens are also bringing in all the meth making people crazy.
All the U.F.O's are just military arecraft.
,Josh

Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 PM

182 posts, read 709,967 times
luckymeg,

NNMI has been known FOR DECADES to be a school where MANY kids were sent to "straighten them out"...either by the parents or the courts. How it is NOW, I don't know, but that's been it's reputation for YEARS. Mark S. was not mistaken about this in his comments. And a friend of mine is a grad of NNMI (1971?)...he agrees...his MOTHER sent him!

Yes, the cadets I run into when I visit Roswell seem to be respectful and courteous...but as any cop will tell you, so are lots of criminals, too.

And now NNMI is co-ed also, I believe. Didn't used to be. Don't know if that hurts or helps its recovery from its earlier reputation.

But I DO hope the NNMI really IS lots better now, and not still a "reform school" in "military school" disguise.

And as you probably know, "trailer-park" Demi Moore hated Roswell so much she's never returned, nor will she ever even make an appearance there.

As for me, I LIKE my visits to Roswell, but don't go there often enough to know about the crime, gangs or even where the nicer neighborhoods are. In fact I never even saw ONE new house there as I drove the two main drags...just lots of older houses; they must be a good way back from those roads.

Disenchanted,
"...if you were not born there, you are an unwelcome outsider."

I thought only Las Vegas (NM) was that way..or maybe that place is just the very worst when it comes to snooty people!

Being born somewhere means nothing...people can't choose where they are born for gosh sakes!

-- John D.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:06 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,180,212 times
It is sad but I can only add my negative impression of Roswell, but only as a passing through town visitor. I was outraged at the cost of hotels (30% higher than any of the other towns I visited) and the lack of town/city amenities. It is very dingy, and unappealing in the downtown area.

I did have a lovely visit to the Chamber--the people are friendly, warm and very welcoming (to me) but I couldn't get grounded and left before I saw the sites that I went there to explore. I managed to have one good Italian-style dinner, one good cup of coffee and sleep in an expensive bed

Mind you, I live in NM (North) but wanted to see as much of New Mexico as possible and Roswell was one of the 1/2 dozen towns/cities I went out of my way to visit. Of those six, I'd rank Roswell at the bottom of the list

Old 01-16-2007, 10:16 AM

51 posts, read 208,821 times
I don't know about the schools or crime but I wouldn't live there simply because it is such a tacky town.Ok, so they think a UFO landed there but it that a reason to have those tacky street lights? Really not a pretty place!Of course that is just my opinion and may differ from others.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:08 PM

182 posts, read 709,967 times
hersheys_mom10,

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Tacky street lights? You mean you also don't like those inflatable cheap plastic "aliens" in all those storefront windows? Or everything with an alien reference in the name, such as that coffeeshop (with WiFi) near the UFO Museum across the street called the "Alien Resistance", or the 6-packs of "Alien Amber Ale Beer," or the "UFO" brand bottled water?

I guess the tourists like it...

I sometimes go up for the July 4th UFO Festival/Convention...whatever it's called. Walk around a bit, look at the very SAME UFO Museum displays (but maybe moved around a bit from last year), have lunch at Applebees, go back and listen to some of the "experts" lectures for the afternoon -- Stanton Friedman always sounds credible...lots of the others are highly suspect -- then go for dinner at the Cattle Barons. Not too bad a way to spend the day.

But I'm not sure what I'd do the next day, or day after that.

-- John D.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:17 PM

51 posts, read 208,821 times
John D. Lol.. I guess some would find it fascinating but not I!

Old 01-16-2007, 11:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,273,824 times
I don't know much abour Roswell, except that it meant I was getting close to the mountains and Ruidoso. It does seem like not much has changed since 1947 there, but I admit to that being a judgement made with insufficient data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico