Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 PM

48 posts, read 89,994 times

Advertisements

I would open up the search to other states as well. Your critera is fairly tough for NM. I would disagree with Las Cruces because it is in fact scorching hot there. NM is last out of 50 states for job growth. If a highly diverse culture is not a priority, I would look at Colorado closely, especially university towns. Leave out Boulder (very expensive) and Colorado Springs. The Cortez area is great because it feels like NM and it's close to the Utah red rocks. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:47 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowidle View Post
I would disagree with Las Cruces because it is in fact scorching hot there. ... The Cortez area is great because it feels like NM and it's close to the Utah red rocks.
Of course it's all a matter of personal opinion when terms like "scorching hot" are tossed out. I'm not taking the time to look up actual data, but I suspect Cortez gets just as hot as Las Cruces in summer. But BOTH places are hottest for only mid-afternoon most summer days, with significant (30-40F) cooling as soon as the sun sets.

Additionally, there is no major educational institution anywhere near Cortez.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
...but my fiancee is continuing her education so this is a major factor.
I grew up in El Paso (Las Cruces) area and speak from personal experience. But my personal opinion is the term "scorching hot" GENERALLY applies to places like the Mojave Desert and far West Texas/Big Bend areas.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 AM

35 posts, read 59,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's a dry heat - unlike the 100 plus degrees they have in NY and New Jersey now. The heat is much more comfortable here.
I should have specified that it's not so much the heat that bothers me, but the humidy like you stated of the NY/NJ area which is absolutely awful during the summer. Granted I probably wouldn't be too comfortable with Phoenix type weather, from the climate data I read about the parts of NM I'm interested in; it seems quite ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowidle View Post
I would open up the search to other states as well. Your critera is fairly tough for NM. I would disagree with Las Cruces because it is in fact scorching hot there. NM is last out of 50 states for job growth. If a highly diverse culture is not a priority, I would look at Colorado closely, especially university towns. Leave out Boulder (very expensive) and Colorado Springs. The Cortez area is great because it feels like NM and it's close to the Utah red rocks. Good luck.
I'm not entirely opposed to looking into different states, but I feel we much prefer NM from the research we've done. Albeit, we do still have to visit in August to see how we really feel. I did look some into Colorado, but the winters are what is keeping me away. Another downside is the lack of schools in the area from what we've seen. Climate wise I'd be content with Las Cruces temps from seeing some data. Job growth isn't the most important factor as I work from home, and make enough to live comfortably while the fiance searches for a job (however long that may take). Much thanks on the well wishes/advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Of course it's all a matter of personal opinion when terms like "scorching hot" are tossed out. I'm not taking the time to look up actual data, but I suspect Cortez gets just as hot as Las Cruces in summer. But BOTH places are hottest for only mid-afternoon most summer days, with significant (30-40F) cooling as soon as the sun sets.

Additionally, there is no major educational institution anywhere near Cortez.

I grew up in El Paso (Las Cruces) area and speak from personal experience. But my personal opinion is the term "scorching hot" GENERALLY applies to places like the Mojave Desert and far West Texas/Big Bend areas.

The lack of major colleges in really what is steering us away from Colorado, along with the winters too. It is very beautiful though. I feel we'd be quite happy with NM weather.

Thanks for the help all, it is truly appreciated!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
The lack of major colleges in really what is steering us away from Colorado...
In recommending Las Cruces, I mentioned its excellent NM State Univ but failed to call attention to the fact that it's only a 45 min. commute to Univ of Tex El Paso campus. I understand there are reciprocal arrangements between the two schools to accommodate students for those courses they need that they can't get at one place or the other, without having them pay out-of-state tuition. There are shuttle bus options between the two cities too.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 AM

35 posts, read 59,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
In recommending Las Cruces, I mentioned its excellent NM State Univ but failed to call attention to the fact that it's only a 45 min. commute to Univ of Tex El Paso campus. I understand there are reciprocal arrangements between the two schools to accommodate students for those courses they need that they can't get at one place or the other, without having them pay out-of-state tuition. There are shuttle bus options between the two cities too.

This is great information to know. Much thanks!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,476 times
If crime rates play into your consideration at all, stay OUT of Albuquerque. $210K would buy a decent home here but traffic is awful (especially on the west side) and any time you look at a house here the first things out of a realtor's mouth have to do with traffic and/or crime. Traffic and/or crime are my 2 least favorite considerations when I buy a house but trust me the realtors know what they are talking about. If you intend to have children and you don't want to watch them walk from your front porch to the next door neighbor's front porch because in a good neighborhood you still have to do that........then ABQ is NOT for you. If you think that watching children walk from your door to the neighbor's door (at 10 years of age) because it's too scary to let them walk alone in a good neighborhood then go ahead and move to ABQ.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,709,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miminm View Post
If crime rates play into your consideration at all, stay OUT of Albuquerque. $210K would buy a decent home here but traffic is awful (especially on the west side) and any time you look at a house here the first things out of a realtor's mouth have to do with traffic and/or crime. Traffic and/or crime are my 2 least favorite considerations when I buy a house but trust me the realtors know what they are talking about. If you intend to have children and you don't want to watch them walk from your front porch to the next door neighbor's front porch because in a good neighborhood you still have to do that........then ABQ is NOT for you. If you think that watching children walk from your door to the neighbor's door (at 10 years of age) because it's too scary to let them walk alone in a good neighborhood then go ahead and move to ABQ.
Please, ABQ doesn't even crack the top 100 most dangerous cities in the US. I guess if you're afraid of your own shadow that might be a consideration.

The property crime rate is similar to Austin, TX and the violent crime rate is similar to Tucson or Las Vegas, NV.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miminm View Post
any time you look at a house here the first things out of a realtor's mouth have to do with traffic and/or crime. Traffic and/or crime are my 2 least favorite considerations when I buy a house but trust me the realtors know what they are talking about.
I'm confused by this. A realtors job is to sell property, whether you are a buyer or seller. There is no chance that a realtor in Albuquerque is going to tell you the crime rate and traffic are horrible, unless they are trying to steer you towards another neighborhood in Albuquerque.

I've only been in Albuquerque a few times during pm rush hour, but have found that the traffic density is quite modest. Santa Fe is worse. Even Taos. Ever been to Denver?

Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
FWIW - Climate, as well as a lot of other information, is available on the home page of this website. Just type in the city name and marvel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico