Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,205,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
$6,000 these days is nothing. Even with basic needs - rent, gas, food, phone etc. you will probably blow through that in less than six months if you do not get a job immediately. Getting a job in NM is not easy for some reason.

Anyways, if you are trying to escape the big city on the east coast, going to live in another big city (like Albuquerque), is in my opinion, not what you want. You should find a smaller artistic enclave and try to make it there. Or find a small town where you can immerse yourself in the beauty of the area and the REAL local culture, not what the Californicators have made NM to be.

Again, lack of money will be your biggest issue.

Santa Fe? Don't get me started.

My $0.02
I agree with this post, particularly about the culture. It's not quite as obvious as "culture" might be in another, more populous state like NY or CA (Californians in NM seem to complain about this a lot, just an observation) but the culture is here and still alive after 400+ years. We're very laid-back here, so keep that in mind as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 PM

82 posts, read 206,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Taos is a possibility, but Santa Fe has a lot more options.
I doubt Santa Fe or Taos would be a possibility if the OP needs a job, doesn't have excess income earned from elsewhere or is independently wealthy.

Most likely an old converted school bus would be the OP's best option in Taos for living arrangements. I live here and just moved from the Manassa, CO area. Trying to make a living here is TOUGH to say the very least. Most of my coworkers have two or three jobs just to live here. I'm looking myself.

In Santa Fe, I think the OP would have a better time finding employment but I hear jobs are hard to come by there as well.

Albuquerque seems like the only option at this point. But, then again, the jobs thing.

The East Coast's economy is doing a lot better than the Southwest's. At least there's the post that there are a shortage of nurses in NY. But that's only nurses. I was listening to the radio and the Western States, Colorado in particular, have a surplus of BSN nurses. And if there's a surplus of nurses out here when they used to be in short supply, I'd think the other professions would be that times 100. Surplus that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico