Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times

Advertisements

I found this article rather interesting....it was in the Alamogordo Daily News a few days ago, as well as online here:

Small towns among NM's fastest-growing

BARRY MASSEY,Associated Press Writer
SANTA FE (AP) - Smaller communities have been among the fastest-growing in New Mexico this decade, and the village of Cuba leads the pack, according to the Census Bureau.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/politics/small-towns-among-nm's-fastest-growing

I found it rather interesting that Cuba is at the top of the list for growth.

When I first started going through Cuba on the way to Farmington in 2006, I thought the place was dying on the vine. Looks like that's not the case at all, though it is still tiny, at less than 2,000.

It is at a nice, cooler high elevation (74-7500 ft) in some stunningly beautiful country. I had not seen it in the summer until this year. The last few times I had gone through, it was mostly snow-covered.

The same was true for 550, from Bernalillo (are they EVER going to get through with the construction mess?!?!?!) to Durango. The changing colors and landscapes are all gorgeous in their own right, whether they are mountains or mesas. I so love the drive for its sheer beauty and changing scenery.

I just wish it were not so long. Although the drive is pretty all the way from Alamogordo via 54/380/550, I do not understand why the speed limits are so low on both 380 and 54.

Although there are sections on both 54 and 380 that deserve the lower 55 MPH, much of both are in excellent condition, and can easily handle 70-75.

I had 2 front doors, and if conditions were good, I'd go at least 65-70 behind them. 55 MPH on good roads is excruciatingly boring and unnecessary.

Why do they set the limits so low on good roads? I can understand smaller sections being set at 55, but.....geeze.

Is it the high incidents of drunks on the roads?

Going via Las Cruces is an option, but the higher speed limts on 25 do not make up for the extra 80 miles on that route.

Anyway.....beautiful, beautiful country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Are there many Cubans in Cuba? If that offends anyone, I apologize in advance.

I agree concerning the painfully low speed limits. The drive on US 60, from TX through Fort Sumner and beyond, is painfully slow at the speed limit (at least it's 60 mph instead of 55, as I recall, but it's still 10 mph too low). I suspect revenue generation might be a reason.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
By percentages... I could see if the numbers jumped highly. Like Rio Rancho. Now thats some boom!!

And i'm sure there are cubans in Cuba... just not so many..

Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
If a few families moved into Cuba, it would push the percentages up, I just wonder what the attraction is.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
If a few families moved into Cuba, it would push the percentages up, I just wonder what the attraction is.
The open space dude. Its beautiful.
Plus its between Albuquerque and Farmington.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Are there many Cubans in Cuba? If that offends anyone, I apologize in advance.

I agree concerning the painfully low speed limits. The drive on US 60, from TX through Fort Sumner and beyond, is painfully slow at the speed limit (at least it's 60 mph instead of 55, as I recall, but it's still 10 mph too low). I suspect revenue generation might be a reason.
Yes, I've driven 60--a real snoozer.

Of course that's it--my cynicism meter must be off this week.

I don't have any other way to go except through Cruces...and since it doesn't save me any time at all, I probably wouldn't go that route again unless I needed to stop in Cruces at Sam's Club or something like that. It's at least 45 min longer.

Contrast that with my route home. I can go either through Cloudcroft, Artesia, Carlsbad, Pecos....and on down until I hit 10 for the last part.

Or, I can go 54 to EP and then 10 all the way in at 85 most of the way. I save at least 30-45 minutes, even though it is 30 miles farther as the crow flies. So much of the Cloudcroft route is so slow that other is worth it!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 07-13-2010 at 07:17 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
The only rationale I can think of for the low speed limits (other than revenue generation) is the greater likelihood that one would be able to miss an animal that runs out into the road. But I doubt that the authorities considered that.

I hate driving on Interstates, but they do save time!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM

I LOVE interstates, and 10 is my favorite.

25 and 40 are huge drags because they are always so crowded, but they are better than the smaller roads simply because of the speed limits.

Ever since Texas/10 raised the speed limit to 80 (not 85, as I mistakenly posted earlier), it's really difficult to drive 55-60 on a good road.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,223 times
Why is everyone in such a hurry? I recently drove I-40 from Kingman to Albuquerque and back and couldn't believe that the speed limit was 75 and people were passing us like we were standing still. Guess I've been in Alaska too long....top speed limit anywhere is 65....and still only 55 in a lot of places.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Why is everyone in such a hurry? I recently drove I-40 from Kingman to Albuquerque and back and couldn't believe that the speed limit was 75 and people were passing us like we were standing still. Guess I've been in Alaska too long....top speed limit anywhere is 65....and still only 55 in a lot of places.
But how are the roads in the 55 MPH zones in AK?

65 isn't bad, but anything below that on a good road is just a pain. I don't like spending all of my time in the car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico