Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:44 PM

8 posts, read 42,622 times

Advertisements

Hello-
I am looking to buy a single family home in Union Township NJ (exit 141) area off the Garden State Parkway.

I have my eye on a beautiful cape in the Orchard Park section, but was looking to see if anyone is familiar with the area. Actually, im hoping someone here knows the areas/sections of Union Township well enough to rank them in order (Most > Least Desirable).

No kids, soon to be engaged, but looking to be in the more desirable section if my budget allows for it (280K - 320K).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 AM

728 posts, read 1,964,782 times
I dont know where Orchard Park section is but I know the area is nice off exit 141. In Union stay away from Vauxhall and the areas near Irvington. Union is not a bad town.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:29 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,393 times
I have lived in the area for years. The onyl section I would stay away from is Vauxhall, which is a town within the town of Union.
5 Points is really nice as well as the areas by Galloping Hill Golf Course, but other the Vauxhall I can not think of any undesireable areas.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 PM

857 posts, read 2,001,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
I have lived in the area for years. The onyl section I would stay away from is Vauxhall, which is a town within the town of Union.
5 Points is really nice as well as the areas by Galloping Hill Golf Course, but other the Vauxhall I can not think of any undesireable areas.
what he said

Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Great, thanks for the suggestions!

Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,245 times
Not to put a damper on things, but just so you are aware of the complete picture ... if you do choose to have kids, be prepared to shell out for private schools. Union public schools are not very good and the high school has been in decline for years.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Thanks E-Town; i am thinking of putting an offer in on a house located right behind Washington School. I am told by my realtor (and others) that this is the more/most desirable section of Union. It seems to be a diverse section, quiet and safe is the feeling i get when i drive around. Does anyone know the name of that section off hand?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:35 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,575 times
Try using Zillow.com. I know of a few nice houses listed on there.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:53 AM

857 posts, read 2,001,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_CD_0705 View Post
Thanks E-Town; i am thinking of putting an offer in on a house located right behind Washington School. I am told by my realtor (and others) that this is the more/most desirable section of Union. It seems to be a diverse section, quiet and safe is the feeling i get when i drive around. Does anyone know the name of that section off hand?
Yep - that's the best section of town.

Depends on exactly where the home is, but it's probably Putnam Manor. Putnam Manor is officially designated by the white-post street signs, like this:

union, nj - Google Maps

but unofficially, it extends into the surrounding streets. Either way, that entire side of town is generally considered the best part.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 PM

26 posts, read 68,824 times
Having just moved out of Union Township on Roselle Park border this past December - due to an increase in crime, and having lived in the Orchard Park section 19 years ago, I would not recommend purchasing anything in Union unless you are going to rent it out.
Orchard Park is just a short distance away from Walker Ave. and Stuyvesant Ave. in Irvington. (I used to live on Dartmouth Terr off of Colgate in the Orchard Park Section). Union Twp is not the town it used to be. Just last year, I had a very bad experience with the Township's Board of Housing (In the interim from Dartmouth Terr and now I became an apt. dweller and felt that the Housing Dept. was turning a blind-eye to the apt. complexes' allowing more than one family to occupy one-bedroom apartments, i.e., overcrowding of apt. The Board's attitude was unhelpful and due to that, among other issues, I did not want to live in Union Twp. any longer.). In the 1980's I lived in Irvington on the Union border near the Orchard Park section right near said Walker Ave. & Styvesant Ave and saw crime taking over that area - the drug store was constantly getting robbed, the stores had new roll down gates, the payphone kept getting ripped apart, I had hookers in the building next to me. In my opinion, the "edges" of Union alongside the Irvington, Maplewood, Elizabeth and Roselle Park border are taking a beating with crime rates increasing. I know a police officer from Union who recently moved to another town too. In my opinion, if you are that sold on Union, try the section nearest Springfield Twsp. or better yet, move to Springfield instead. The Union Twp. School system is not what it used to be (in 1976 Union Township was declared an "All American City." Those days were over a long time ago). Children who are providing fake addresses are entering the Union School system and the township is not checking up on it. It's a township which is dying. I wouldn't waste my money on a home which will only depreciate in value there as time goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey