Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:20 AM

46 posts, read 640,120 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for thrift or pawn stores that sell older audio equipment - stuff like amplifiers, receivers, CD/DVD players, etc.

Does anyone know any good ones in the Trenton - New Brunswick corridor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 AM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniss View Post
I'm looking for thrift or pawn stores that sell older audio equipment - stuff like amplifiers, receivers, CD/DVD players, etc.

Does anyone know any good ones in the Trenton - New Brunswick corridor?
Check out Unique thrift shop on Oak Tree Ave in South Plainfield. It's in the same shopping center as Big Lots and I think there's a Wendy's there and a Motor Vehicles place too. I think they're more known for selling second-hand clothes, but they have a whole section with old electronics equipment as well. Bought a clock radio there with dual alarm a few months ago. They also have used vinyl LPs though the selection of music for the most part isn't exactly my kinda music. But there are turntables there last time I checked too. Check it out.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Check out Unique thrift shop on Oak Tree Ave in South Plainfield. It's in the same shopping center as Big Lots and I think there's a Wendy's there and a Motor Vehicles place too. I think they're more known for selling second-hand clothes, but they have a whole section with old electronics equipment as well. Bought a clock radio there with dual alarm a few months ago. They also have used vinyl LPs though the selection of music for the most part isn't exactly my kinda music. But there are turntables there last time I checked too. Check it out.
Thanks for that!

Do you have any idea how much they charge for stereo equipment?

I visited a couple thrift stores recently near Trenton...

There's a huge one on Nottingham Ave near Knockner Rd, called "Red, White and Blue Thrift"... Electronics are HORRIBLY overpriced there!! For cryin' out loud, Craigslist has much better deals on electronics than they do. I bet they are banking on pour souls who aren't computer-savvy enough to shop on Craigslist. Example - a very old, dirty-looking Fisher CA-270 integrated amp is $34, and other audio separates are even more expensive. A Durabrand home theater system for $199 USED.... Antique-looking TVs for $99... That's pretty bad, given the items don't appear to be in tip-top shape. The biggest thing going for this shop is their HUGE clothing selection, as well as women's bags and things.

Another one is the Salvation Army shop out in Morrisville, PA - much more reasonably priced. They had some old Sanyo integrated amp for like $7, and they let you plug them in, too. Appliances definitely look better here than in Red, White, and Blue, though the selection is quite small.

I will have to try the one you told me about in S. Plainfield.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniss View Post
Thanks for that!

Do you have any idea how much they charge for stereo equipment?

I visited a couple thrift stores recently near Trenton...

There's a huge one on Nottingham Ave near Knockner Rd, called "Red, White and Blue Thrift"... Electronics are HORRIBLY overpriced there!! For cryin' out loud, Craigslist has much better deals on electronics than they do. I bet they are banking on pour souls who aren't computer-savvy enough to shop on Craigslist. Example - a very old, dirty-looking Fisher CA-270 integrated amp is $34, and other audio separates are even more expensive. A Durabrand home theater system for $199 USED.... Antique-looking TVs for $99... That's pretty bad, given the items don't appear to be in tip-top shape. The biggest thing going for this shop is their HUGE clothing selection, as well as women's bags and things.

Another one is the Salvation Army shop out in Morrisville, PA - much more reasonably priced. They had some old Sanyo integrated amp for like $7, and they let you plug them in, too. Appliances definitely look better here than in Red, White, and Blue, though the selection is quite small.

I will have to try the one you told me about in S. Plainfield.
I really can't say off hand how much stereo equipment would cost. I know I've seen a few TV's there at least 15-20 years old marked for about $15ish, so I'll guess probably between $20-30 you could find some decent stereo equipment, but don't quote me on it. There's also a Barrack's Trading Post, think it's still there on the southbound side of Rt 1 just before you hit 18 I believe, that sells second-hand stereo equipment.

I never knew the Salvation Army shop sold that kinda stuff, we have one here in New Brunswick up on Joyce Kilmer Ave (I think), not in the best area though I never went inside there.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 AM

89 posts, read 444,835 times
For hi-fi second hand audio, you can't go wrong with AudiogoN high-end Audio for sale, high end HiFi classifieds, audiophile auctions, audio forums...

Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 AM

315 posts, read 871,559 times
All of the orignal "pawn shops" disappered from Paterson years ago. They,re still goodwill shops, salvation army, and places like that for a lot of old furniture and things. Those places are respectable compared to the pawn shops of old

- the days of walking into a pawn shop & trying to get 20 bucks for an old BB gun -and get ticket with 6 months to pay them back- and get your stuff back are gone (as far as I know- - that is what I remember as a pawn shop.
Drop off a gold ring,- get $$$ and a ticket that gave you 6 months to get them back the money they gave to you. Those places were common in the 60,and 70,s in NYC and other cities. Alcoholics,addicts and thiefs gave the old type pawn shop a lot of business back then.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 AM

AudiogoN is one of the most expensive places to get electronics, along with eBay. From where I stand, those are only for people who are looking for exotic, very high-end components and dont mind paying dearly for them.

Barrack's trading post suggestion is a good one - I saw one in Bordentown, which about 15 mins from where I live, and I meant to stop by there... I'll have to do that!

Yea, I know all about the pawn shops of old days. Haha. I'm not sure how much they are in existence today, but people claim they find very nice electronics at pawn shops! I wonder where that is... Maybe not in Jersey.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:17 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Pawn USA in Trenton

Pawn USA Inc - Bing Local

Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Pawn USA in Trenton

Pawn USA Inc - Bing Local
Ever gone or heard anything about it?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tceffo View Post
They,re still goodwill shops
Ah yes forgot about that place. There's one of those around here too in East Brunswick on Rt 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey