Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,874,432 times

Advertisements

how much lower taxes is going to make it worth it to move for you? 7k? is that feasible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:03 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,642,070 times
Let me just say that you are making a good decision. I live in Essex County and much prefer Morris County. There's many more nice natural areas, MUCH less crime, and just a better class of people in general. Essex County taxes are ridiculous and most of our money goes to propping up the drug addict lowlives in our main urban centers, two of which (Newark and Irvington) have been on the "America's 30 Most Dangerous Towns" list for half a century. Over half the crime in NJ comes out of Essex and Camden counties - FACT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
I grew up in Morris County, and trust me, you don't want to go beyond Denville. It's incredibly boring out there. The part of Morris County that you guys are looking at is good though. I grew up in Mendham, which is the next town over from Morristown as you head West. Some good towns to check out are Florham Park, East Hanover, Whippany, Madison, Parsipanny, Morris Plains, and maybe even Montville. I would even recommend Morristown, but Morristown doesn't float everyones boat out here.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Your post doesn't seem malicious, but I wish more people would realize that not everyone in North Jersey wants to live on top of NYC or in some big congested urban center. Honestly, the best parts of North Jersey are out of this crappy area entirely and in Sussex, Hunterdon, and Warren counties.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,682,485 times
Check out Hanover Township (Whippany & Cedar Knolls). Taxes used to be the most reasonable in Morris County.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 11,070 times
Obviously it depends on the size/cost of the house you buy but an average house in Madison ( 450-500 K)
should definitely have cheaper taxes. I can only compare Maplewood and Madison and Madison is generally cheaper tax wise.

However if you live in a monster of a house in either location in my estimation you wont be saving all that much.

I loved Maplewood but paying those kind of taxes to support Newark, East Orange and Irvington is silly in my opinion. Morris County is nicer as a whole in my opinion.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,159,315 times
I much prefer Essex County, simply because of it's accessibility to all the major highways (280, Parkway, Turnpike, etc.) It's so much faster to get everywhere, particularly if you have to commute to NYC. I have heard the horror stories about commuting on I-80 in Morris County during rush hour. We have friends in Morris County and every time we drive out there my wife comments how she is glad we don't live "way out there". It's just a bit too rural for us and doesn't have as much to offer as towns like Montclair or Verona which have nice downtown areas. Morris County is more just your typical suburban sprawl. FWIW, our friends in Morris County pay almost exactly the same taxes we pay in Essex County and the only difference is they have a slightly larger yard.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I much prefer Essex County, simply because of it's accessibility to all the major highways (280, Parkway, Turnpike, etc.) It's so much faster to get everywhere, particularly if you have to commute to NYC. I have heard the horror stories about commuting on I-80 in Morris County during rush hour. We have friends in Morris County and every time we drive out there my wife comments how she is glad we don't live "way out there". It's just a bit too rural for us and doesn't have as much to offer as towns like Montclair or Verona which have nice downtown areas. Morris County is more just your typical suburban sprawl. FWIW, our friends in Morris County pay almost exactly the same taxes we pay in Essex County and the only difference is they have a slightly larger yard.
Heh.

I live in Verona. Our downtown is a Domino's and a bagel shop

Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,159,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Heh.

I live in Verona. Our downtown is a Domino's and a bagel shop
LOL...I guess I have a hard time telling where Montclair ends on Bloomfield Ave.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,942,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Funny, everytime I drive into Essex county I say "I'm so glad I don't live here, with all the congestion and houses on top of each other". I guess each to his own.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 AM

512 posts, read 1,756,165 times
Eh, Morris/Essex debate is brewing. I prefer Morris because of the healthy mix of downtowns, shopping, accessibility, and outdoor lifestyle over Essex. Essex just seems like an endless suburb.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
Eh, Morris/Essex debate is brewing. I prefer Morris because of the healthy mix of downtowns, shopping, accessibility, and outdoor lifestyle over Essex. Essex just seems like an endless suburb.
All good points. Also, in Essex County, crime is much more of a factor. Newark contributes to the county's many economic problems. In Morris County, the worst area you have are some sections of Morristown, which are really benign compared to anything in Essex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey