Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,047,792 times

Advertisements

An "Abbott School" refers to school districts within New Jersey that are considered worse than average and are receiving state aid and remedies based upon a 1985 ruling that asserted that public primary and secondary education in poor communities throughout the state was unconstitutionally substandard.

In terms of areas around New Brunswick that have "good" schools, you can start by looking at towns such as Highland Park, which is just across the Raritan River from New Brunswick. But as dsmgvr4 noted, options for housing will be limited within your budget.

Other options are Edison, East Brunswick, and South Brunswick. These are all within 10 to 15 miles of New Brunswick. BUT, again you are going to be limited by the options for housing within your budget. Within South Brunswick, there are several single family homes on the market. However they are going to be older and some may be Handyman Specials.

To get a sense of Middlesex and Mercer Counties, I would suggest you take a look at the websites below to help out.

Middlesex County

Mercer County

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 PM

877 posts, read 2,841,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
An "Abbott School" refers to school districts within New Jersey that are considered worse than average and are receiving state aid and remedies based upon a 1985 ruling that asserted that public primary and secondary education in poor communities throughout the state was unconstitutionally substandard.

In terms of areas around New Brunswick that have "good" schools, you can start by looking at towns such as Highland Park, which is just across the Raritan River from New Brunswick. But as dsmgvr4 noted, options for housing will be limited within your budget.

Other options are Edison, East Brunswick, and South Brunswick. These are all within 10 to 15 miles of New Brunswick. BUT, again you are going to be limited by the options for housing within your budget. Within South Brunswick, there are several single family homes on the market. However they are going to be older and some may be Handyman Specials.

To get a sense of Middlesex and Mercer Counties, I would suggest you take a look at the websites below to help out.

Middlesex County

Mercer County

Hope this helps!
I'd bet it's probably better to stick with Middlesex rather than Mercer because the taxes will definitely be lower here. Other options I'd include would be North Brunswick (I live here), Old Bridge, Monroe (though you have lots of senior citizens - I know someone who got his car totaled because of getting hit by a senile senior citizen), Woodbridge and Piscataway (though I'd stay below 287 there, it has some real marginal areas esp. near the Plainfield border).

North Brunswick I know has blue ribbon schools and Woodbridge is supposed to be good too, though it is quite large and thus probably hit or miss depending on what section you look at, also very crowded as well but it is an older town and has a bit of a downtown and a huge mall and all that regional shopping, but with that comes the traffic. Piscataway has some nice sections and not so nice sections, it is quite a melting pot as far as ethnic diversity goes, and the schools have some very good quality education, but it is a lower middle class area. I used to sub there so I know the area pretty well. For the record, the high school has some gangs sneaking in from Plainfield, but the quality of the education in those schools is the best I've ever seen.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 AM

23,589 posts, read 17,269,743 times
Default travel route

Rt 18, the main route from points south, is a bear both ways!

20 to 30 miles translates into a 45 minute commute.

Depends on what campus in NB you spend your time. If you need to drive to Livingston or even College ave campus add time to your commute.

I can make it from Fords to the AG school/ Cook/ ,whatever its called today, campus in 15 minutes flat on a good day.

Look west down rt 514 or rt 27/ 518. Somerset, Franklin, Rocky Hill, Kingston. Don't know about their school systems.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Somerset and Franklin schools are terrible.

Look in North Brunswick, you can find a SF home in your price range if you look around, and the schools are good with reasonable taxes. Burdines Corners to downtown New Brunswick in 10 minutes, Rutgers in Piscataway in 25.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,900 times
If you are starting a family an abbot school system is good because school(not daycare) is free for 3 & 4 year olds, Those schools are very good(grammer & highschool not so much). Get a condo(which the prices are very low these days with the high glut), stay for 4-5 years and then move to a smaller town like north brunswick.

You will get equity with prices being so low in new brunswick, which you will need in towns like highland park, east brunswick and even north brunswick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey