Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 PM

5 posts, read 18,397 times

Advertisements

If I get this job -- I will be teaching at both Rutgers Newark and New Brunswick. I might have to commute to NYC once a week for the other work. I am searching for housing. I have 1st and 2nd graders. The good public school is important. Since I teach at night, there must be baby sitters available in the area. We are Asian. I am a single parent. I am in the mid 30s. Still like to go out and about with the kids or without the kids once in a while. Thinking of renting first since the housing market seems to be at the bottom the end of this year --- heard about JC and want to know more what others will say --- job only 3 years contract --- Any advises?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,345,398 times
That is gonna be one heck of a commute

What hours will you have to commute?

I would suggest Staten Island as in the middle

Old 02-17-2009, 04:43 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,422,878 times
Edison

Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 AM

12 posts, read 61,155 times
I was thinking Metuchen. My husband and I are looking around there now and it seems to meet your requirements, with plenty of housing all walking distance from the train that stops in NYC, Newark and New Brunswick. Good schools, parks, etc., like nice little town.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,640,830 times
Yeah you would want to look for somewhere between New Brunswick and Newark, so Edison, Metuchen, Colonia, Clark, Cranford, Westfield, Scotch Plains, and other towns around there should be the target area.

Definitely a smart idea to rent first: not only will you get to know the area so you can be absolutely sure before you buy, but you'll also save a good deal on the purchase with the housing market continuing to sink around here.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 AM

136 posts, read 723,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
That is gonna be one heck of a commute

What hours will you have to commute?

I would suggest Staten Island as in the middle

No, "one heck of a commute" is those people that board buses in Toms River headed for the Port Authority every morning. Staying between New Brunswick and Manhattan is quite reasonable in comparison.

And why on earth would you suggest Staten Island when there are dozens of decent towns (one poster porivded a list) between Manhattan and New Brunswick where one can rent a decent apartment for a reasonable amount?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM

329 posts, read 1,530,426 times
don't go for staten island.

edison , highland park, metuchen, new brunswick is best in your situation.

i know of a 2 br/1ba for lease in edison if you are interested...

Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,341,639 times
With children, I think Edison, Highland Park, or Metuchen are the best choices. They're all close to New Brunswick, fairly easy commutes by car or train to Newark, and easy to get to the train to NYC.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:13 PM

329 posts, read 1,530,426 times
Well since majority of the time you are in newark, it appears you need to rent a home close by say Harrison, Kearny, east orange etc. But then I am not too familiar with the school structure in those areas. Edison, metuchen, etc have better schools than harrison or other places. you may check for yourself using following link:

http://www.nj.com/news/reportcard/in...is/default.asp

Edison is in middlesex county, Harrison i think is in passaic county. Newark i am not sure.

If you are qualified perhaps try to move in to lennar edison (www.lennar.com). lot of their apartments are still being rented there i think. it is awesome place to rent because everything is brand new. the pool, elevators etc... and newark is only 20 minute drive from there. nyc is 40 minute dirve when no traffic and 1-20 min with traffic. nearest train that takes you to newyork penn station (midtown) or newark penn station is metuchen 2 mile, edison 3 mile and metro park iselin 5 mile. theres plenty of parking in metro park and costs 5 bucks per day to park. its impossible to find parking in metuchen..i am not sure u may check from others here.

from lennar edison , u can go to newbrunswick thru backroads in to rutgers university college. its only 5 miles. even piscatway campus is approx 6 miles from 287north.

it is why people prefer edison because its so accessible to all major highways.

but beware of bed bugs and roaches while renting old apartments in edison. do a thorough check. they say even there are bed bugs on benches of penn station new york. so maky sure you don't sit on one of them hahah..

rent in edison is 1250/month for 2br + 1 ba , including utilities except electricy/cable in an older rental apartment. washer/dryer is in the complex.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 18,397 times
Thanks a ton!!! I just started the new post to give more info -- Now just crossing my fingers!
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ck-newark.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey