Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:24 PM

50 posts, read 133,410 times

Advertisements

I am trying to compare Monroe to East Brunswick and the following comment in greatschools.net called my attention. If anyone can comment with personal experiences I will really appreciate it!

Review # 1 for Middle School EB - Posted April 16, 2008
I think this school is horrible! The kids are nasty. They are mean to me every single day and pick on me all the time. I am overwhelmed with so much homework every single day and I feel like my life is unimportant since I never have any fun. Other schools don't give half as much homework as this school and I have so much stress in my life already. Plus, even the time of school beginning is ridiculous. 7:26AM! At 6:45 I am out of the house. I often get very cold waiting at the corner and I even cry myself to sleep a lot since I feel miserable because I have to go Churchill everyday. School is school, but it shouldn't be this horrible. Unfortinately, I have no other option than to torture myself everyday.
Submitted by a student

====================

Review # 2 for High School EB Posted February 1, 2009
This school gives a mediocre education at best. I had many classes taught by unenthusiastic, boring and unapproachable individuals. Students social life is dictated almost solely by how much money they or their parents are able to spend on their appearance, as the prima donnas that populate this school seem to think they're part of the cast of MTV's 'Real World.' The only reason this school looks good is because it is sandwiched between several terrible schools. It's not the worst school, but be prepared to spend upwards of $40 on t-shirts alone in an effort to gain social acceptance, or you could save your money and sit alone at lunch.
Submitted by a student

Last edited by SUSJOS; 12-08-2009 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:57 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSJOS View Post
I am trying to compare Monroe to East Brunswick and the following comment in greatschools.net called my attention. If anyone can comment with personal experiences I will really appreciate it!

I think this school is horrible! The kids are nasty. They are mean to me every single day and pick on me all the time. I am overwhelmed with so much homework every single day and I feel like my life is unimportant since I never have any fun. Other schools don't give half as much homework as this school and I have so much stress in my life already. Plus, even the time of school beginning is ridiculous. 7:26AM! At 6:45 I am out of the house. I often get very cold waiting at the corner and I even cry myself to sleep a lot since I feel miserable because I have to go Churchill everyday. School is school, but it shouldn't be this horrible. Unfortinately, I have no other option than to torture myself everyday.
Submitted by a student

====================

This school gives a mediocre education at best. I had many classes taught by unenthusiastic, boring and unapproachable individuals. Students social life is dictated almost solely by how much money they or their parents are able to spend on their appearance, as the prima donnas that populate this school seem to think they're part of the cast of MTV's 'Real World.' The only reason this school looks good is because it is sandwiched between several terrible schools. It's not the worst school, but be prepared to spend upwards of $40 on t-shirts alone in an effort to gain social acceptance, or you could save your money and sit alone at lunch.
Submitted by a student
These reviews could come from any public school. They sound like complaints that any child in a public school could have. The first child's comment is just sad. The second comment sounds sad too, and is talking about the materialism, but again, nothing I think that is unique to EB.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:01 AM

877 posts, read 2,839,078 times
Quote:

Submitted by a student

====================

Submitted by a student
Sounds exactly what my school life was like going through the Manalapan schools. To this day I still don't know how I survived it, one of the darkest periods of my life.

Talk about materialism, this past summer I totaled my car when some 17 y/o from EB had gotten her driver's license two weeks earlier and ran the stop sign with her brand new luxury Nissan and smashed right into me.

BTW what "terrible" schools is EBHS "sandwiched between"? I can't think of one.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
These reviews could come from any public school
Yes it could be

Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
BTW what "terrible" schools is EBHS "sandwiched between"? I can't think of one.
Statistically EB test scores are higher than the surrounding towns, but it does not seem like the surrounding towns are terrible either.

Last edited by SUSJOS; 12-09-2009 at 07:58 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Statistically EB test scores are higher than the surrounding towns, but it does not seem like the surrounding towns are terrible either.
No I didn't think so. I live in North Brunswick now and I know the high school here has a huge blue ribbon out on the front of the building as well, so it's pretty obvious the schools here are not too far behind EB even if they are at all. Edison I know has continuously been at the top of the list as well. But the whole blue ribbon thing is a load of crap anyway, half of your kid's education is what you put into it. I used to sub in Piscataway, which has significant spill over from Plainfield, including a gang problem in the high school there, and I will tell you while there aren't any blue ribbon schools there that I could see any notice of, the quality of the education was fantastic. I've never seen anything like it in any other district.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,442 times
My cousin works at EB and its a great school. It is one of the best in Middlesex county

Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I used to sub in Piscataway, which has significant spill over from Plainfield, including a gang problem in the high school there, and I will tell you while there aren't any blue ribbon schools there that I could see any notice of, the quality of the education was fantastic. I've never seen anything like it in any other district.
Very interesting I will take a look at Piscataway

Old 12-11-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Very interesting I will take a look at Piscataway
Stay below the bridge that goes over New Market Lake. Once you get past there it gets really shady. There's a school up there called Arbor I subbed there maybe three times and did not feel comfortable, that area drifts right into Plainfield. The other 4-5 school, King, is in that huge development off River Rd and is probably the better of the two in that age group, so I'd look for something zoned to that.

Piscataway is a very diverse town, a one-of-a-kind melting pot for a suburban area like itself, not really unsafe but it's a lower middle class area. Be selective and do some careful research.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:25 PM

84 posts, read 296,843 times
East Brunswick schools extremely good. The education and choices for extra curricular classes are very advanced. The only people that complain about East Brunswick schools are ones that couldn't keep up or didn't want to do all the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey