Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 PM

39 posts, read 51,092 times

Advertisements

I had a couple of questions about the regional identity and sports fanbases for the Toms River area.

1) What do you consider to be part of your region?
-Where does your region start?
-Does it include or is it a continuation of Long Branch-Atlantic City?
-Are you a part of the NY or Philly metro region?

2) Who is covered on the newspapers and on TV?
-Do they cover NY and PHI teams?

3) What are the sports loyalities like in
MLB: Yanks/Mets....Phillies?
NFL: Giants/Jets/Eagles?
NHL: Rangers/Isles...Devils..........Flyerss
NBA: Knicks/Nets/Sixers

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 02:54 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,901,083 times
Toms River is a city with close to 100K people. Our region is part of central NJ. It is neither a continuation of Long Branch or Atlantic City. It is the county seat for Ocean County. I also don't consider us truly part of either NY or Phila.

If you get cable tv you have access to both NY & Phila stations. Neither one really covers central NJ so we are sort of in a dead zone unless something really news worthy happens like someone goes crazy and shoots someone.

Our local Newspaper is the Asbury Park Press - app.com (you can check it for yourself). They cover both NY & Phila Teams. I think TR is divided. We have lots of North Jersey transplants yet there seems to be some Phila fans.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,921,325 times
Regarding sports, the Phillies fan base has increased since the arrival of the Lakewood BlueClaws - the Phils 'A' affiliate. A lot of people who weren't previously baseball fans or were fans of teams from other parts of the country have enjoyed watching the local players rise to the big league club. New York fans (either Mets or Yankees) do dominate the area, though with football, the Eagles tend to be very popular. It's more equal. As far as basketball, the Nets are the most popular team. Hockey is mainly Devils, with some Flyers and Rangers fans mixed in.

I'm a Mets fan, personally, but really have no connection to NY except for the fact that my father lived there 30 years ago before I was born. I usually go to the Mets games when they are away playing Philadelphia. It's a lot easier and normally much faster to drive to Philly than Queens.

As far as media, there is the APP and to a lesser extend the Press of Atlantic City. NYC and PHL television stations both "cover" the area but never venture here unless there is something very major. The last event they covered in depth was a major boating accident in Brick last summer.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:08 PM

220 posts, read 745,874 times
ITA with hrJersey, We have the best of both worlds (cities). Centrally located, 45min to hr. drive to both airports, We have eagle, jet and big giants fan base along with Yankee and Mets. Quite diverse, keeps things interesting. I prefer phildelphia channel 10 for news/weather, hubby likes NY nbc.
Personally I consider anything on the other side of the driscoll bridge City. Ahh clean air. Exit 80 here!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,996,377 times
I agree with the above posts but I would like to add that Toms River does have a lot of fans of random teams. I have friends that are Viking fans, Cowboys fans, Orlando Magic fans you name it. You don't really get the "pack mentality" that you get in NNJ or SW Jersey where just about everyone is a Die heart Philly or NY fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey