Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,804,457 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting the Jersey Shore area this June. I'm hoping someone can tell me which beach area would be best for my family. We have 2 young boys, ages 3 and 10 months. I'm looking for somewhere that is not too crowded and not tacky. We don't need the boardwalk and all that. I just want a nice beach to sit on and build a sandcastle. Also, we will stay for one night, so I'm trying to find a decent motel that won't cost $300 a night. (not super deluxe)

We will be driving out from the Manchester/Lakehurst area and then going north to PA, so it needs to be a beach from Point Pleasant on Northwards. (we would drive out on 70) or possibly Seaside Heights if we swing down on 37.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,958,874 times
Cape May is great - but pricey - but it can't hurt to check it out. June sometimes can still get some deals.

Spring Lake is beautiful, but also pricey.

Wildwood has built up and does have all the bells and whistles (boardwalk) but the beach is also amazing.

I have not been too, but have heard good things about Ocean City NJ and that area. A friend also swears by Lavalette - while I have been to the beach - I have never stayed there.

Good luck and let us know where you end up.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,751,478 times
Beachwood and Ocean Gate have river/bay beaches and are perfect for young children. (You can see the Rt. 37 bridge into Seaside Heights from these beaches.) They are nothing fancy, have sand, water, bath house, and life guards. There is a playground near the Beachwood beach, too. These are near Toms River.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,900,857 times
If you're looking for just a nice beach during the week Belmar (around 4th ave) or President's beach in Long Branch are good choices. Unfortunately I can't recommend a place to stay though.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,531,469 times
Don't go to Seaside Heights! From your post it sounds like you'll be sorely disappointed there. Keep in mind the waves can be fierce at the Jersey Shore and kind of scary for toddlers.

Seaside Park, Lavallette, Normandy Beach, Mantaloking, and Bay Head are all very quiet.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:09 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,319,417 times
Default Ocean City: America's Greatest Family Resort

It is further south than you asked, but Ocean City sounds like the place for you. OC bills itself as "America's Greatest Family Resort." It's great for families with small children. Being a dry town, you won't encounter many of the negative elements often affiliated with excess alcohol consumption.

OC has a wonderful boardwalk and eight miles of pristine beaches. With small children, it's a no brainer: There's no place like OC! (Parkway Exit 30)

Old 04-08-2009, 06:24 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,720,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
It is further south than you asked, but Ocean City sounds like the place for you. OC bills itself as "America's Greatest Family Resort." It's great for families with small children. Being a dry town, you won't encounter many of the negative elements often affiliated with excess alcohol consumption.

OC has a wonderful boardwalk and eight miles of pristine beaches. With small children, it's a no brainer: There's no place like OC! (Parkway Exit 30)
I second OC. The best family friendly shore town in all of Jersey. Nice boardwalk, not too crowded, and no alcohol on the island which keeps the Staten Island guidos away.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:39 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,711,145 times
folks - OP asked for Point Pleasant north! LOL OC, Cape May, Wildwood, all good places but way the heck out of the way!

Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,720,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
folks - OP asked for Point Pleasant north! LOL OC, Cape May, Wildwood, all good places but way the heck out of the way!
I failed reading comprehension in the 3rd grade.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
I agree with those recommendations. They're not all boardwalk and rides or clubs or ritzy and top dollar. I'll say look in the Bay Head area. If you find those beaches on the map (online) you'll notice that many NJ beaches are on barrier islands. Price wise, this means that everyone can claim beach front, beach view, short walk and that just costs more. Point Pleasant is west of Bay Head and the further from the beach that you are, the more reasonable the price. That gives you a choice. I've never stayed in the area but found this online:Point Pleasant Beach NJ Amethyst Beach Motel Information

...and this Cove Point Motel, Point Pleasant, NJ That got very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. There's also a Quality Inn: Quality Inn, Point Pleasant NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Don't go to Seaside Heights! From your post it sounds like you'll be sorely disappointed there. Keep in mind the waves can be fierce at the Jersey Shore and kind of scary for toddlers.

Seaside Park, Lavallette, Normandy Beach, Mantaloking, and Bay Head are all very quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey