Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 02:48 AM

3 posts, read 6,913 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I am currently 19 years old living in Honolulu, HI. I would really like to move to New Jersey (preferably a town of Paramus/Bergen County). The problem is I've never been out of state and I just graduated from high school last year. My questions are:

1) What are my chances of getting out of here?
2) What first steps should I take?
3) How much money do I need to get there?
4) Where/how do I find a job and living in NJ?

As you can see I'm totally new to traveling. It's a big world out there, and I need to see it. Staying on the islands sickens me as well as its tropical summer-all-the-time weather (I'm originally from Siberia, Russia). But the main reason of why I want to move to NJ is way bigger than that.
I hope you folks can help me out with my situation. Thank you all in advance!

-Viktor

Last edited by DraxtheSoviet; 01-07-2009 at 03:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:43 AM

345 posts, read 643,040 times
Being that you just finished high school, do you intend on going to college, or do you intend on jumping straight into the working world? If it's the second option, I'd honestly recommend against it. As a 19 year old with only a high school degree, you'll have a rough time getting any job that isn't, say, retail or food service related. Paramus is a nice town and Bergen County as a whole is nice, but it's doubtful you'd be able to live on your own there without a decent income.

Now, if you do intend on going to college (and not to sound like a parent, but I'd highly recommend it), New Jersey has some great schools. We're home to Princeton of course, as well as Rutgers, Montclair State University, NJIT, Seton Hall, TCNJ, Ramapo, and many others.

So if you're really set on moving to and establishing yourself in NJ, college would be a great safety net for you to both get to know the state while furthering your education and increasing your viability in today's rough job market.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times
Man if u never been out of state n.j. is gonna be another country. I wonder why people like u are drawn here, its just an old cold overpriced suburbs. I would see other mainland states first before zoning in on n.j. Like cali. But to answer ur questions which ppl skip around..

1. 100% chance if u have a few 3-5k saved for until u get a job
2. consider other towns, paramus usually isnt where ppl start off unless they have someone to stay with
3. 500 for plane ticket
4. find a job the old fashion way, going places u like asking if they need help

before we can tell u more, why do u want to move here?? have a girl here? thats the only reason i can think of lol

Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,091 times
Well, the good news is - Hawaii is one of the few states in the nation that has a higher cost of living than NJ, so the sticker shock out here shouldn't really exist for you.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Being that you just finished high school, do you intend on going to college, or do you intend on jumping straight into the working world? If it's the second option, I'd honestly recommend against it. As a 19 year old with only a high school degree, you'll have a rough time getting any job that isn't, say, retail or food service related. Paramus is a nice town and Bergen County as a whole is nice, but it's doubtful you'd be able to live on your own there without a decent income.

Now, if you do intend on going to college (and not to sound like a parent, but I'd highly recommend it), New Jersey has some great schools. We're home to Princeton of course, as well as Rutgers, Montclair State University, NJIT, Seton Hall, TCNJ, Ramapo, and many others.

So if you're really set on moving to and establishing yourself in NJ, college would be a great safety net for you to both get to know the state while furthering your education and increasing your viability in today's rough job market.
I wouldn't mind on going to college but am I going to be able to pay for my tuition? I'd have to get a job while going to college too right? How about living, or will I be living on campus at college? Thank you so much for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Man if u never been out of state n.j. is gonna be another country. I wonder why people like u are drawn here, its just an old cold overpriced suburbs. I would see other mainland states first before zoning in on n.j. Like cali. But to answer ur questions which ppl skip around..

1. 100% chance if u have a few 3-5k saved for until u get a job
2. consider other towns, paramus usually isnt where ppl start off unless they have someone to stay with
3. 500 for plane ticket
4. find a job the old fashion way, going places u like asking if they need help

before we can tell u more, why do u want to move here?? have a girl here? thats the only reason i can think of lol
Thanks for answering my questions. So, I need about 500$ for plane ticket and another $3,000-$5,000 until I get a job in NJ? Wow, that'll take me a year of working here in HI. I also pay rent to my parents, it's not much ($250) but it does decrease my earnings. And yea, I guess you could say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Well, the good news is - Hawaii is one of the few states in the nation that has a higher cost of living than NJ, so the sticker shock out here shouldn't really exist for you.
That too. My parents and I are having a really tough time paying the rent for our apartment. They are thinking of moving to our house in Cedar Park, TX. I don't want to go there, but if that's the only choice then be it.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Females can make a guy do a lot believe i know. I guess there's more Russians here than Hawaii to. U can even do it on 2,000, people do rent rooms for as low as 600 a month and it's month to month so there's no commitment. U can find a job, any sucky parttime job within a month and look for a better job in the meantime, i even know a couple parttime places who are always hiring but that's a last resort if u cant waite to save more money for more time to find a descent job.

Financial AId paid for almost all my college but u need to maintain good grades and working a job makes that difficult. Can ur parents not afford to send u to a state or community college in Texas? or an adult training center for autotechnology or whatever u may be interested in? There are loans, but i would only use them for a trade school.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Females can make a guy do a lot believe i know. I guess there's more Russians here than Hawaii to. U can even do it on 2,000, people do rent rooms for as low as 600 a month and it's month to month so there's no commitment. U can find a job, any sucky parttime job within a month and look for a better job in the meantime, i even know a couple parttime places who are always hiring but that's a last resort if u cant waite to save more money for more time to find a descent job.

Financial AId paid for almost all my college but u need to maintain good grades and working a job makes that difficult. Can ur parents not afford to send u to a state or community college in Texas? or an adult training center for autotechnology or whatever u may be interested in? There are loans, but i would only use them for a trade school.
We'll move to Texas, eventually. Probably in August of this year. But I do not want to stay there. I've made my choice and that is to move to NJ. My parents agreed on my decision which is a positive thing for me. All I need now is to earn enough money for my trip which will take me about 5-6 months. Then I'm ready to hit the road.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:00 AM

It's nice that u took a decision and parents agree. But do plan well and consider all options for how to start off here, as far as money atleast, being a young person new to an area u can save 1000s and blow through it like nothing if u aren't frugal and calculating. and no question is a dumb question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey