Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM

250 posts, read 683,617 times

Advertisements

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/24059.html

13 New Jersey Counties out of top 20 highest paying taxes. Warren County? Hunterton/Sussex? And there still is no money?!!

Washington, DC, December 15, 2008 - New data released today by the Census Bureau show that over a three-year period (2005, 2006 and 2007) average homeowners in New York and New Jersey counties paid the most in property taxes while those in Louisiana parishes paid the least.

[CENTER]Top 20 Counties in Median Real Estate Taxes Paid
2005-2007 Average
(Population of 20,000 or More)
County
State
Median Real Estate Tax Paid
Rank
Westchester County
New York
$7,908
Nassau County
New York
Hunterdon County
New Jersey
Bergen County
New Jersey
Somerset County
New Jersey
Essex County
New Jersey
Rockland County
New York
Morris County
New Jersey
Union County
New Jersey
Passaic County
New Jersey
Putnam County
New York
Suffolk County
New York
Monmouth County
New Jersey
Hudson County
New Jersey
Lake County
Illinois
Fairfield County
Connecticut
Sussex County
New Jersey
Middlesex County
New Jersey
Mercer County
New Jersey
Warren County
New Jersey
20[/CENTER]

The Tax Foundation - New Census Data: From 2005 to 2007, New York, New Jersey Counties Rank Highest in Property Tax on Homeowners; Louisiana Parishes Rank Lowest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Those are the median values! Half pay more and half pay less. I'd like to see the average value too - probably that's much higher. If you peruse the data, you'll find that Passaic County pays the highest percentage of family income of all the counties in the country!

NJ and Your Wallet - Perfect Together!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,706,758 times
I'm in Hunterdon. Yippe !! We're number three...come on folks...let's try for number 2...come on Corslime...you can do it !!

And btw...I pay a LOT more than that $7708 figure.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I'm in Hunterdon. Yippe !! We're number three...come on folks...let's try for number 2...come on Corslime...you can do it !!

And btw...I pay a LOT more than that $7708 figure.
You can't blame Corslime for property taxes... blame your local government for that one. Our State taxes are cheap!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
You can't blame Corslime for property taxes... blame your local government for that one. Our State taxes are cheap!
Oh yes you can Wiley. When other administrations, such as State Police funding, for instance, are being cut, the locality often in response has to raise taxes to foot the bill for even minimal services. The greatest argument for regionalizing services falls under this cloak, just to partially offset these rates posted. However, I've concluded that this is the way most New Jerseyans would prefer to live. Ultimately, they choose more services as an alternative to lower taxes. They want to lead insularly within their small towns, and not share services amongst each other.

Go through a list of the 566 municipalities, then take one of my maps I've posted, and see how many municipalities could be eliminated, almost immediately. I guess what I am trying to say is that you can tie a good deal of these increases into Corzine's budget cuts, which are targeted towards suburban and rural communities. However, that's only part of the problem. The bigger pictures is the unwillingness of many New Jerseyans to even consider consolidating local governments.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:28 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Oh yes you can Wiley. When other administrations, such as State Police funding, for instance, are being cut, the locality often in response has to raise taxes to foot the bill for even minimal services. The greatest argument for regionalizing services falls under this cloak, just to partially offset these rates posted. However, I've concluded that this is the way most New Jerseyans would prefer to live. Ultimately, they choose more services as an alternative to lower taxes. They want to lead insularly within their small towns, and not share services amongst each other.

Go through a list of the 566 municipalities, then take one of my maps I've posted, and see how many municipalities could be eliminated, almost immediately. I guess what I am trying to say is that you can tie a good deal of these increases into Corzine's budget cuts, which are targeted towards suburban and rural communities. However, that's only part of the problem. The bigger pictures is the unwillingness of many New Jerseyans to even consider consolidating local governments.
We have a winner!!! Demand then complain!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:52 PM

And just what Exactly is the percentage of my "Local" taxes that actually end up disappearing into the sink holes of such things as Abbott Districts huh ???

Funny how that little tidbit is Always left out of every local budget that I've ever seen...

Old 01-06-2009, 02:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
And just what Exactly is the percentage of my "Local" taxes that actually end up disappearing into the sink holes of such things as Abbott Districts huh ???

Funny how that little tidbit is Always left out of every local budget that I've ever seen...
Your local property taxes pay only for your schools. State Income Tax funds the Abbott Districts. It's just that the state does not contribute to your school system with state income tax money, so you bear the full brunt of those educational costs.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Your local property taxes pay only for your schools. State Income Tax funds the Abbott Districts. It's just that the state does not contribute to your school system with state income tax money, so you bear the full brunt of those educational costs.
I will admit i'm not deeply involved in all the local versus state accounting and I'll assume for sake of discussion that that you are correct re the Abbott situation example I used.

However....

I find it VERY difficult to believe all my local taxes stay local to my school system etc. I'm pretty sure my property tax rebate check comes from the STATE...Not by county or local township... Some how that STATE
ended up with some of those funds or they wouldn't be refunding it.

And that points to the "budgets" our locals always publish every year. yes we all look at the pie charts and see how much got spent on schools, how much for local parks etc etc etc, and if you add it all up that's the budget.
Well sort of....

The question I'm asking is no where that I've ever seen is it published how much the country took in from taxes versus the published "budget". We're left to of course to assume that the budget accounts for all that....but let's not be so naive .

Old 01-06-2009, 08:07 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,986,049 times
The general rule is that 50% of your property taxes go to your local school districts. In some towns it's 60%. The town I grew up in had one levy for k-8 then another for the regional high school. The school districts levy the taxes. Your town collects them and turns the money over. The state has nothing to do with it.

25% of your property taxes go to the county and 25% go to your town.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my property tax rebate check comes from the STATE...Not by county or local township... Some how that STATE ended up with some of those funds or they wouldn't be refunding it.
It's a rebate not a refund. You even wrote it yourself.

Basically, people like you complain to state politicians (who have nothing to do with property tax levies) that your property taxes are too high. In an attempt to get reelected some genius come up with the rebate scheme. The state raised other taxes so that they could send everyone a check each year so you can feel better about your property taxes.

Quote:
And that points to the "budgets" our locals always publish every year. yes we all look at the pie charts and see how much got spent on schools, how much for local parks etc etc etc, and if you add it all up that's the budget. Well sort of....
Well, not at all. If the premise doesn't hold the conclusion can't follow.

Quote:
The question I'm asking is no where that I've ever seen is it published how much the country took in from taxes versus the published "budget". We're left to of course to assume that the budget accounts for all that....but let's not be so naive .
The country? So now we're going to ask Pelosi and Obama to lower our property taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey