Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:08 AM
ira ira started this thread

657 posts, read 3,931,268 times

Advertisements

What about the fact that NJ has the highest average household income in the country???

Everybody's talking about high taxes, high bills, high insurance cost....its all true. But NJ offers tremendous opportunities to earn money, partly due to the fact that we are close to NY City where you earn more for the same kind of job than you would in almost any other city in the country. You want low taxes, low bills, etc move to Florida. But guess what, most people in FL are poor. Not because they are lazy but because salaries are extremely low.

There is always a trade-off. People want to make a lot of money and have low taxes, low bills, etc. Let's be realistic.

Anyone can make it in NJ. I don't care how little you make. Just stop treating your credit cards as if they are your trust fund. START SAVING.

Unfortunately, its a concept so many Americans don't understand. Just because the bank is willing to lend you money, doesn't mean you have to take it. Its OK to say no to the credit card offer. If you can't afford it - don't buy. I promise, if you do that, NJ will, all of a sudden, become much more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 AM

43 posts, read 191,296 times
“But guess what, most people in FL are poor. Not because they are lazy but because salaries are extremely low” – this doesn’t make you poor.
If your disposable income cannot cover your basic needs then yes you are poor no matter how much money you are making.
But if you are making only $30K and most of this money is left to spend anyway you desire then you can consider your self well set.

Also, please explain “extremely low”.

“Unfortunately, its a concept so many Americans don't understand”. - Its not just Americans.
“If you can't afford it - don't buy” – did you ever had to choose between Heating Oil and formula for your baby.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 AM
ira ira started this thread

657 posts, read 3,931,268 times
Yes, unfortunately, people find themselves in different situations. I am not talking about a single mother who is striggling to make ends meet or a family faced with medical bills due to illness, etc, etc. These circustances are very unfortunate and could happen to anyone. I am talking about average families who just spend too much.

"Its not just Americans" - No, its not. But America has one of the lowest savings rate of all developed countries in the world. One of the reasons is because its extremely easy to borrow in this country. And people borrow too much - as if they never have to pay it back. If you want to buy a house and you only have 5% for downpayment - guess what, that means that you cannot afford that house, even if your bank says you can. If people had to rely on cash to buy things, there would be a lot less bankrupcies, foreclosures, etc.

All I am saying is that most people should stop blaming corrupt politians (which there are plenty) for their financial struggles and and should start saving instead.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:07 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
What about the fact that NJ has the highest average household income in the country???

Everybody's talking about high taxes, high bills, high insurance cost....its all true. But NJ offers tremendous opportunities to earn money, partly due to the fact that we are close to NY City where you earn more for the same kind of job than you would in almost any other city in the country. You want low taxes, low bills, etc move to Florida. But guess what, most people in FL are poor. Not because they are lazy but because salaries are extremely low.

There is always a trade-off. People want to make a lot of money and have low taxes, low bills, etc. Let's be realistic.

Anyone can make it in NJ. I don't care how little you make. Just stop treating your credit cards as if they are your trust fund. START SAVING.

Unfortunately, its a concept so many Americans don't understand. Just because the bank is willing to lend you money, doesn't mean you have to take it. Its OK to say no to the credit card offer. If you can't afford it - don't buy. I promise, if you do that, NJ will, all of a sudden, become much more affordable.
I'm guessing you just can't wait till "corruptnj" tells you how rotten this state is. I personally am counting the minutes! lol

Old 09-15-2006, 11:46 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately, people find themselves in different situations. I am not talking about a single mother who is striggling to make ends meet or a family faced with medical bills due to illness, etc, etc. These circustances are very unfortunate and could happen to anyone. I am talking about average families who just spend too much.

"Its not just Americans" - No, its not. But America has one of the lowest savings rate of all developed countries in the world. One of the reasons is because its extremely easy to borrow in this country. And people borrow too much - as if they never have to pay it back. If you want to buy a house and you only have 5% for downpayment - guess what, that means that you cannot afford that house, even if your bank says you can. If people had to rely on cash to buy things, there would be a lot less bankrupcies, foreclosures, etc.

All I am saying is that most people should stop blaming corrupt politians (which there are plenty) for their financial struggles and and should start saving instead.

So if people save and stop using credit cards they can make it in NJ but nowhere else? This post makes no sense.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:15 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times
I just erased everything I was going to say because it was just too angry. Great suggestion Ira-too bad it's just totally naive and utopian. And that's coming from new mom (married) who clips coupons, has a 401k, buys storebrand groceries, hasn't been to the movies in over two years and breastfed partly so I wouldn't have to spend money on formula!

Old 09-15-2006, 02:00 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptnj View Post
It's also close to Philadelphia that offers higher paying jobs and opportunities.

That means NY and PA offer tremendous opportunities to earn money, not NJ. If Florida bordered NY and PA Florida would have the highest household income in the Country.

Things are changing in Florida. Salaries have risen along with property values.

I read today the Governor want to spend $3+ billion on the school project that they already wasted $8+ billion.

“There is no excuse for spending another $3.25 billion on a school construction program plagued with waste, scandal and corruption,”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/15/ny...15schools.html

What is the State Animal, I forget? Is it the ostridge?

The school construction issue in NJ is a joke. My husband works a lot of these jobs and I just can't understand why a township feels that thousands of dollars spent on Randazzo Floorin (Sp??) benefits the students. The money spent on school construction seems more to impress other districts then help the kids it is meant to help.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:40 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I just can't understand why a township feels that thousands of dollars spent on Randazzo Floorin (Sp??) benefits the students. The money spent on school construction seems more to impress other districts then help the kids it is meant to help.
It's "terrazzo" flooring, and part of it's appeal is the fact that it needs no more maintenance than a vinyl tile floor, yet it lasts for 100 years rather than 2. Don't get me wrong- I prepared estimates for dozens of the SCC schools, and the waste was incredible- stainless steel glass wall systems, custom artwork, waterpak systems at a Paterson elementary school that rival EPCOT, etc. However, in some cases they were looking at life-cycle cost in addition to first cost, because the Abbott districts don't have enough $$ for routine maintenance- that's part of why the schools they have are in such disrepair.

Bob

Old 09-15-2006, 06:41 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,242 times
Quote:

You are ridiculous.. Have you ever been to Florida or even outside the NYC metro area?? Sure, your salary may be slightly lower but quality of life is 10 times better, people are nicer not constantly rude, hostile & nasty toward anyone not in their little circle & you don't need to pay a minimum of $1,600 a month for a tiny one bedroom apartment in a very bad neighborhood..

I am shocked when I see how high rents are even in the worst parts of Jersey City where you need to spend close to $2,000 a month for an apartment.

You talk about not buying a home with 5% down, not using your credit cards, but how easy do you think it is to live on the 'reported' median or mean income of $60,000 or $70,000 around here?? Not everyone has a spouse or parents to help out. For a median priced home that isn't a piece of crap, you only need to make about $250,000 a year and put down 20% to qualify under your scenario

Sure your income may be higher here, but the cost of living is the highest in the country. Unless you can earn over $200,000 a year as a single person, you are going to stuggle as a single person. Not to mention the uber consumer mentality (which still isn't as bad as on Long Island where people seem to live at the mall)

This area is great if you work on Wall Street or have a large trust fund and can make (or have access to) in the middle to high six figures.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:44 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,242 times
Also, please explain “extremely low”.

From what I see around here. "Extremely Low" to most means not being able to spend hundreds at the mall every week on designer clothing or not being able to eat out 5 nights a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey