Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:35 PM

27 posts, read 433,915 times

Advertisements

I am in line for an internship at Goldman Sachs' New York office. The address is in the Financial District, 180 Maiden Lane. I live in East Hanover (Morris County). What is the best way to get there from my town? I have no idea how the train or subway system works. Can anyone give me an idea? The closest train station to my house is Madison. Is it possible to take one train into the city? Does anyone know how far the address is from the station in NYC? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 07:02 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Take whatever train is in Madison into NYC, and then take the subway down

Old 11-02-2008, 07:08 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
You got a job at Goldman Sachs so put your skills to work for my taxpayer dollars. The answers lie in these two webpages.

www.njtransit.com
MTA Home Page

Old 11-03-2008, 04:53 AM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsilni View Post
I am in line for an internship at Goldman Sachs' New York office. The address is in the Financial District, 180 Maiden Lane.
Congrads, NICE.......

Quote:
I live in East Hanover (Morris County). What is the best way to get there from my town? I have no idea how the train or subway system works. Can anyone give me an idea?.
NJ Transit Morris & Essex (aka Morristown Line) HOB train from Madison/Chatham to HOBOKEN. Get off and take the NY Waterway Ferry to the WFD (nicer, pricer option, scenic, more 'social' option) or PATH train to WTC (more cost effective option). Walk to work from WFD or WTC.

Quote:
The closest train station to my house is Madison.
I thought Chatham would be closer, no?

Quote:
Is it possible to take one train into the city?.
Yes, you can take the MTD (MidTownDirect) right to NYP (NY Penn Station) at 33rd and 7th ave. BUT this would force you to change there and use NYC Subway(s) to get to work.

Quote:
Does anyone know how far the address is from the station in NYC? Thanks for your help.
Try Google, Yahoo Maps, or Maquest.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - PATH (http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html - broken link)
New Jersey Transit - Home

Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM

bump

Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM

no need to bump

only one way to get there by pub trans

take a train and then transfer to another train, the websites posted above will suffice

did you get the internship?

Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Which way is better?

Would it be easier for me to take a train from Madison to New York Penn Station and then take the subway to the Wall Street station, or should I take the Madison train to Newark and then take the PATH to the World Trade Center? Again, I'm trying to get to Maiden Lane, deep in the Financial District right on the East River, next to the South Street Seaport.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 PM

take the Path because Penn Station is just further north of wall street

Go to Newark and transfer to the Path to WTC

Old 11-20-2008, 03:08 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
If by 'best' you mean quickest and cheapest, you should take the WTC PATH train from the PATH station in Harrison.
It will probably take you 30-40 minutes to drive there and park.
The PATH train from Harrison to WTC is a quick 20 minutes.
The distance from the WTC to Maiden Lane is about a half a mile...so about a 10-15 minute walk.

Total door-to-door travel time for you would be a little over 1 hour, which is outstanding for an East Hanover-->Wall Street commuter.

Estimated daily commuting cost for you:

~$6 parking (parking is anywhere from $4 to $10 in Harrison)
$3.50 PATH fare (that's $1.75 x 2 rides a day; FYI, if you buy rides in 10-, 20-, or 40-trip blocks, you only pay $1.30 a ride).

You can try the PATH station in Newark as well, but I think the parking there is more expensive.

If you take NJ Transit, you're gonna pay, what, $8 for a 1-way train ticket, $4 for parking, and $4 a day ($2 x 2 rides) for the subway from Penn Station to Wall Street. That's double what you'd pay for taking the PATH train. Plus, the NJ Transit train doesn't offer as frequent service. But, if you have money to burn, go for NJ Transit. It's probably cleaner and more comfortable than the PATH which is waaaay overcrowded.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:19 AM

50 posts, read 277,328 times
Quote:
I am in line for an internship at Goldman Sachs' New York office. The address is in the Financial District, 180 Maiden Lane. I live in East Hanover (Morris County). What is the best way to get there from my town? I have no idea how the train or subway system works. Can anyone give me an idea? The closest train station to my house is Madison. Is it possible to take one train into the city? Does anyone know how far the address is from the station in NYC? Thanks for your help.
Do exactly what spincycle said, take the morristown essex line to Hoboken and take the path to WTC. 180 maiden lane is about a 4 block walk from the WTC stop on the Path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey