Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:18 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
There's a ferry that stops at Pier 11 instead of the WFC.

majesty - We're work neighbors - I'm on Water Street too!
That's an even longer ferry ride though. How much time would that save from walking from the Hudson side? You can walk from the Hudson to the East River there in 10-15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM

27 posts, read 433,972 times
According to the ferry schedule, the ride from the Hoboken terminal to Wall St/Pier 11 is only 15 minutes. Is that accurate? Seems like the shortest way. The cost of a train ride to Hoboken and then a PATH ride is more than a ferry ride. If I drive to Harrison to take the PATH, I figure I could take a cab from WTC to Maiden Lane. I think all of these options would be cheaper than the toll, the gas, parking, and wear and tear.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:16 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,308 times
You will not be able to reliably take a cab from WTC to Maiden Lane during morning rush hour.

Your best bet is NJ Transit to Penn Station and then subway down to Wall St.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsilni View Post
The cost of a train ride to Hoboken and then a PATH ride is more than a ferry ride.
Don't forget to factor in gas, parking and car depreciation for whatever amount you'll be driving--to a train station or wherever.
Quote:
If I drive to Harrison to take the PATH, I figure I could take a cab from WTC to Maiden Lane.
Dude, if you need to take a cab from the WTC PATH station to Maiden Lane, unless you're handicapped in some way (which you probably should have mentioned earlier for the purposes of a thread like this), there's something seriously wrong.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:11 AM

138 posts, read 610,475 times
Marsilni, you do NOT need to take a cab from the WTC PATH to Maiden Lane. It takes me 10-15 minutes to walk down to the corner of Maiden Lane & Water St. From Google maps, your office is exactly one block further. It would take you longer in rush hour traffic, amid the construction, to find a cab & get down there than it would to walk it. Part of city life is walking, and if you don't like that, the city might not be the best place for you to work. I don't mean to be snarky, but that is just how it is...

Old 11-26-2008, 08:12 AM

138 posts, read 610,475 times
Oh, and *WAVES* at office neighbor Irish Eyes!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:39 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
Wait, let me go over to the window...

Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
Oy vey, this guy is still dissecting his commute????

Ok buddy, let me tell you about MY first day of work in NYC when I was still a youngster. I had to commute from Toms River which is 90 miles from Manhattan. (Which was a 20 minute drive from my house in a deserted seaside summer colony.) I had to be at work at nine, so I had to leave my house at 6:30 to catch the 7am bus. I sat on that damn bus, which started out from Atlantic City, 50 miles further south, for an hour and half. Then I walked through crackhead infested Times Square to my prestigious but low paid publishing job on Fifth Ave. At lunch when I was buying my sandwich my wallet was stolen. The cop outside the store rummaged through the mailbox and garbage can and pulled out a few purses and wallets but none of them were mine.

I had to borrow 20 bucks from my new boss to get home. I had to freaking RUN to the Port Authority to catch the 5:30 bus, because if I missed it I'd have to wait till 6:30. The entire ride back to Toms River a fat man slept next to me and his head kept hitting my shoulder.

Oh yeah, and one day it was raining really hard and my cheap shoe fell apart halfway on my journey to the PA and I had to walk barefoot through the puddles hoping I didn't step on an AIDS infected needle.

So...stop trying to reinvent the wheel and shave off ten minutes here or try not to walk three blocks or whatever. Suck it up, be a big boy or girl, and just do it.

"I think the commute is worth it to work at Goldman Sachs." Oy vey again. Don't you know that millions of people commute here for a lot less money than you might make? Why would you say something like that to a large group of people?

It makes it seem like you live in a bubble and have had no contact with the outside world for many years.

And don't forget to thank all the nice people here who have answered your questions.

And now my rant is finished. Thank you for listening.

Last edited by clevedark; 11-26-2008 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-26-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Wait until they start explaining the procedure to generate reports to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:58 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
He's slowly coming to grips with the reality that his commute will suck no matter how he tries to slice it.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey