Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 37,534 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently living in one of the worst sections of Philadelphia and I am looking to get out. We don't have a lot of money to spend on a house and we were looking at Sicklerville, NJ. Does anyone have any information, good or bad that would help us make a decision?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 10:11 AM

71 posts, read 421,547 times
Depends on what part of Sicklerville. There is a nice side and a not so nice side. Part of Sicklerville sends their kids to Winslow Twp. schools, the other side sends to Pine Hill (I think). Sicklerville has had a huge amount of change over the past ten years. It used to be mostly old farms that have sold off to developers. There are some nice developments with more upscale homes and then there are areas that have low-moderate income homes.

Based on your thread, coming from Philly, you will probably find the area to be quite nice compared to what you're used to. There has recently been a lot of commercial development off of Cross Keys Road. You will find Target, Lowes, and a bunch of shopping centers. If you need the school system, be sure to really check out the differences. I'm in Winslow Twp. and do not send my children there. The elementary schools are fine, I have issues with the middle and high schools.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 37,534 times
Thank you so much for your reply! You are totally right--I do find Sicklerville better than North Philly where I live. They had some really places and then some ok places. I found houses I like, but some of the developments they are in is what I am unsure of.

I have a few more questions for you if you don't mind. What is the crime rate like in Winslow twp and how does the school system work with sending your children to a school in another twp? Mine are both in elementary, but one only has another year in elementary school.

Thanks so much for your reply.

J

Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 18,733 times
is New York City commutable from Sicklerville?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:49 AM

1 posts, read 18,635 times
I live in Sicklerville and find it great! There is a "good and bad" part. Everything is very convenient to get to. Good restaurants are right on Black Horse Pike, which is about a five minute drive. I have an Acme, Stop and Shop, Target, Lowes, pharmacy, McDonalds and gas station also within a five minute drive. Two movie theaters are about 7 minutes away. We are 40 minutes to the shore from here. We have an Amish market about 8 minutes away. Many churches available as well. We are in Gloucester Township and the schools are very good here. My only gripe would be the taxes but welcome to NJ!!! I know I rambled here but let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:59 PM

29 posts, read 140,924 times
My parents live in Sicklerville....and the both work for Winslow Township. For the most part Sicklerville is a nice town, you have a couple of areas that you have to watch. I'm moving to NJ next month (Williamstown, Monroe Township), my mother was very adamant about me not moving to Sicklerville because she's very dissatisfied w/the schools. Actually she said the elem and middle schools are fine. The high school is horrible.

Check out Gloucester Township and Blackwood...Good Luck

Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 PM

71 posts, read 421,547 times
Default About Sicklerville Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozziej View Post
Actually she said the elem and middle schools are fine. The high school is horrible.
I have lived here for 15 years and have seen the school system go down the drain. The elementary school which is (preK-5) is mostly ok. There are 6 schools in Winslow Township that handle all the kids Pre-K-5. Then there is the Middle School and then the High School. I did not send my older children to the Middle School back in the late 90's and would not send my younger children there now. There are 7 families on my street with children and all but one sends them to private school or out of district.

Its very unfortunate as we pay our taxes but can't rely on the schools here. Unfortunately, there are too many out of control students and poor management. From the issues that have taken place in the Middle and High schools, you might expect to hear about them from an inner city school, not out here, far from the cities. There have been reported sexual assaults, gang issues, drugs and death threats.

I know families that have had their children make it through and graduate. But I know more that have had trouble either with getting the right help for their kids, or worse, loosing their kids to the pressures from their peers. If you have children that even remotely have confidence issues or tend to be followers, please reconsider where you send them.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:20 PM

8 posts, read 48,078 times
Smile answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockett8104 View Post
Hello,

I am currently living in one of the worst sections of Philadelphia and I am looking to get out. We don't have a lot of money to spend on a house and we were looking at Sicklerville, NJ. Does anyone have any information, good or bad that would help us make a decision?

Thank you in advance.
You better stay where you are at Sicklerville is getting to be like Camden.I moved out after 1 year buying a new house.They school system is horible and the neighboorhood are worse.If I was you i would move to Moorsetown.I know of 10 people that moved out of Sicklerville.Please take my advice.
Thank you!!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,896 times
Quote:
how does the school system work with sending your children to a school in another twp?
People really don't do that too much over here... you essentially have to pay whatever that other township's per pupil tuition is.. in the neighborhood of 10 grand for HS depending on the town.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:34 PM

8 posts, read 48,078 times
Default answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahwallsjlm View Post
is New York City commutable from Sicklerville?
why in a million years would you go to sicklerville? i moved out after only 1 year and took a loss on my new house just to dump it.you should look at marlton, good schools, safe neighborhoods,no depriciation on property.high taxes keep neighborhoods safe and clean. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey