Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Philly map doesnt look quite right. There should be some yellow downtown(Soceity Hill-Rittenhouse-Fitler) and some yellow NW Philly (Chestnut Hill) some orange in Mt Airy,East Falls,Manayunk,Roxborough,Andorra.

Mike can you get a blow up of Philly?
Society Hill and Rittenhouse are orange. All of Northwest Philly is orange, except for Chestnut Hill, which is yellow.

This is a map of household incomes by zip code, no? Household incomes are going to be much lower in zip codes with a higher percentage of single person households. Rittenhouse is a fine example. Consider as well how over-represented students are in Center City and University City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 AM

132 posts, read 410,480 times
If you want a more accurate representation of towns, don't use Zip codes as a lot of towns share zip codes and all the data are combined and averaged out.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Thats my boy! Fabrication,exaggeration and misrepresentation.

The Philly map doesnt look quite right. There should be some yellow downtown(Soceity Hill-Rittenhouse-Fitler) and some yellow NW Philly (Chestnut Hill) some orange in Mt Airy,East Falls,Manayunk,Roxborough,Andorra.

Mike can you get a blow up of Philly?

Coming right up:

Old 10-09-2008, 08:31 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times
Wow, that's Philly city limits for ya!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Amazing. I thought South Philly was nice? My sister owns a home there, nice area.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:39 AM

Center City is where the money is. South Philly is OK. Much of Philly is actually fine, but in the bad areas, it is as bad as anything gets. It is very, very tough.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 AM

I have more disclosure here: this data is only culled from the Philly metro area + NJ, which amounts to over 1000 zip codes. If you were to add in the NYC zips and surrounding area that I posted yesterday, there would be only nominal normalization, because the aggregate median would hold steady or slightly increase. However, let's say I normalized this data by EVERY zip code in the US, you would start seeing many of these orange zips go yellow, and many yellow go to light green, because the median income is SO much higher in the northeast than the rest of the country. To wit, here is New Mexico, normalized by NJ and Philly's data:

There are 283 zips in New Mexico, only 20 of these are not in red, or over the break of $56,268. Only two are in even in light green.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Good job with the maps, dude.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have more disclosure here: this data is only culled from the Philly metro area + NJ, which amounts to over 1000 zip codes. If you were to add in the NYC zips and surrounding area that I posted yesterday, there would be only nominal normalization, because the aggregate median would hold steady or slightly increase. However, let's say I normalized this data by EVERY zip code in the US, you would start seeing many of these orange zips go yellow, and many yellow go to light green, because the median income is SO much higher in the northeast than the rest of the country. To wit, here is New Mexico, normalized by NJ and Philly's data:

There are 283 zips in New Mexico, only 20 of these are not in red, or over the break of $56,268. Only two are in even in light green.
it's amazing.

it would be awesome to have maps based on net worth, as that seems to be a more reliable indictor of wealth than median income. this also would remove all the "cost of living" issues we talk about - i.e. "you get paid more because housing costs are higher, therefore since i live in a lower COL area, i have more disposable income". i'm not sure the census tracks that though - do you know?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
it's amazing.

it would be awesome to have maps based on net worth, as that seems to be a more reliable indictor of wealth than median income. this also would remove all the "cost of living" issues we talk about - i.e. "you get paid more because housing costs are higher, therefore since i live in a lower COL area, i have more disposable income". i'm not sure the census tracks that though - do you know?
Or a 'disposable income' map, is what you are saying? I don't know if such data exists. However, I would imagine a map that had darker green areas in the midwest, and very red areas in states such as California (outside of L.A.) Oregon, Washington etc. The reason I put forth that premise is because it is my belief that housing values are relatively inexpensive in states such as upstate NY (near Buffalo), most of Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois (minus Chicagoland) and Iowa, however, there is proximity to many cities where salaries would be higher relative to housing costs. In contrast, these salaries begin to dissipate as you go further west, while housing costs go up. I think this is because more people retire west and south, and skilled labor salaries don't follow, thus, the household income flattens. Couple that with less housing, and you get demand over supply, and thus, higher housing costs. If you could make a map alone on median household income to housing costs, you'd see a map that would really go 'red' once you got west of the Rocky Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey