Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Not listed is Salem because it is no longer in the bottom 5. Cumberland and Cape May are too far away from Philly and white collar industry.
i have no idea what you're talking about. you seem to be making up criteria as you go along. You say the data YOU posted indicates "It reflects the general migration west and south and stronger economic growth in much of SJ." When I refuted that by saying the income of the 2 poorest counties in NNJ grew at greater percentage than those of SJ (thus widening the gap), you basically say "those SJ counties don't count". I'd argue that Morris, Somerset and Hunterdon are as far, if not further, to NYC than Cumberland county is to Philly, yet those 3 are some of the top in the NATION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:46 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,519,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i have no idea what you're talking about. you seem to be making up criteria as you go along. You say the data YOU posted indicates "It reflects the general migration west and south and stronger economic growth in much of SJ." When I refuted that by saying the income of the 2 poorest counties in NNJ grew at greater percentage than those of SJ (thus widening the gap), you basically say "those SJ counties don't count". I'd argue that Morris, Somerset and Hunterdon are as far, if not further, to NYC than Cumberland county is to Philly, yet those 3 are some of the top in the NATION.
20-30 years ago, the poorest counties in NJ were primiarly in the South. Today, only 2 of the bottom 5 are in the southern part of the state.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
just noticed skillman and bellemeade are high, what are they like??? Never been that way yet?
skillman and belle mead are in somerset county, and part of montgomery township. very nice, suburban, no 'main street'. very wealthy. not quite as "hilly" as northern counties, more "farmish".

Old 10-08-2008, 01:30 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,096,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
What's REALLY interesting is that Philadelphia is almost entirely red. Let's see the map for Manhattan...I bet it's all green except for Harlem, Morningside Heights and Washington Heights.
Very interesting (and sad), indeed. However, you will see that a small piece of Philadelphia (eastern Center City, to be exact, and the eastern portion of University City) are orange instead of red. I guess all the high incomes in those neighborhoods are enough to push the averages up. Actually, the incomes in Center City are quite high, and I'm a little suprised that there's not some green in certain zip codes. Either way, very interesting to look at. Thanks for posting.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:31 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,096,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i have no idea what you're talking about. you seem to be making up criteria as you go along.
He does that.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:40 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Hey mike - what program do you use to generate these maps?
ArcGIS: The Complete Enterprise System

Old 10-08-2008, 01:53 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times
Thanks for posting the Manhattan map. I forgot to account for the fact that there are so many renters in Manhattan, and also single people (so therefore one income). Makes sense. But a lot of green zones regardless!

I was very interested (and pleased) to see that my neighborhood (Downtown Jersey City, the Yellow section just below Hoboken's Yellow) has a higher income than Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, and Williamsburg, 3 very desirable NYC neighborhoods.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
20-30 years ago, the poorest counties in NJ were primiarly in the South. Today, only 2 of the bottom 5 are in the southern part of the state.
hudson county's been in the bottom 5 for 40 yrs. incidentally, over the past 50 yrs, burlington county is not one that has made tremendous strides - it's been pretty status quo (hovering between #7 and #10 - its' best showing was in '69). Atlantic, Sussex, Warren and Ocean and Hunterdon (#14 to #1!) are those counties really showing an increase in family income, and none of those are in the "Philly" sphere.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:34 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,519,851 times
I cannot speak for the 40 year growth of Burlington County, but despite high % of affordable housing since the 1980s, it is currently one of the growth drivers of the State, as evidenced by Y/Y change in income growth. Income growth in BC will be well above the State for years. There's been a ton of high end homes built, corporate parks opening and general better economic climate than most parts of the state. The only area that would rival it would be Somerset/Hunterdon County corridor and SC ranks 7th, HC 4th. Atlantic County ranks 5th, Cumberland 6th. So, really, 4 SJ counties of the top 6 counties in NJ are currently leading the state in income growth.

1. Passaic 9.2%
2. Burlington 8.0%
3. Mercer 7.6%
4. Hunterdon 7.5%
5. Atlantic 6.8%
6. Cumberland 6.7*

State Average 3.9%

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 10-08-2008 at 04:01 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti
i have no idea what you're talking about. you seem to be making up criteria as you go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
He does that.

Thats my boy! Fabrication,exaggeration and misrepresentation.

The Philly map doesnt look quite right. There should be some yellow downtown(Soceity Hill-Rittenhouse-Fitler) and some yellow NW Philly (Chestnut Hill) some orange in Mt Airy,East Falls,Manayunk,Roxborough,Andorra.

Mike can you get a blow up of Philly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey