Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 11,194 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was pleased to come upon this forum! My husband and I are considering a move from Scotch Plains, NJ to somewhere in Monmouth County. My husband works in Newark and commutes by train. We would like to be as close to a train station as possible. We have two young sons, so we are looking for family-oriented neighborhoods. My one son is in Kindergarten now so a great school district is a must. We would be looking in the 500-600K range for a home and for something in newer condition or perhaps a new development. My brother and his wife live in Sea Girt and it would be great to be no more than twenty five minutes from them as well.

We've actually recently looked at a few homes in the Manalapan area. It is a beautiful location and has great schools, but it isn't that convenient to a train station for my husband. It is still a consideration for us, though.

Any info on other towns that we should consider would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 07:45 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,988,611 times
You shouldn't have a problem finding something newish or recently rehabbed for $600k in any of those towns . . . but you didn't say how big you expect the house to be. I would look in Red Bank, Shrewsbury, Little Silver, Tinton Falls, Hazlet, Oceanport, West Long Branch, Eatontown, Ocean Twp. (Oakhurst or Wanamassa zip codes).

I would also say check out Bradley Beach, Avon, Belmar, Spring Lake Heights, Manasquan and Point Pleasant - They all have good K-8 but Bradley and Avon send to Asbury Park High School but they also have the option of going to Red Bank Regional . . . or to St. Rose in Belmar. The towns further south all go to Manasquan High.

But if you're kids are pretty young it might not be an issue for you.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 11,194 times
Default ooops..I forgot about the size of the house!

We want at least 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, basement, 2 car garage.

Thanks for pointing that out!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:20 PM

181 posts, read 1,122,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
You shouldn't have a problem finding something newish or recently rehabbed for $600k in any of those towns . . . but you didn't say how big you expect the house to be. I would look in Red Bank, Shrewsbury, Little Silver, Tinton Falls, Hazlet, Oceanport, West Long Branch, Eatontown, Ocean Twp. (Oakhurst or Wanamassa zip codes).

I would also say check out Bradley Beach, Avon, Belmar, Spring Lake Heights, Manasquan and Point Pleasant - They all have good K-8 but Bradley and Avon send to Asbury Park High School but they also have the option of going to Red Bank Regional . . . or to St. Rose in Belmar. The towns further south all go to Manasquan High.

Avon students go to Manasquan now and Belmar splits between AP and Manasquan

Old 09-28-2008, 05:24 PM

181 posts, read 1,122,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post

If you are looking for better train service including one seat rides into NY look Long Branch and northwards. South of LB you will need to change trains either in LB or Newark depending on the train with less feq service esp on weekends

Old 09-28-2008, 06:05 PM

646 posts, read 2,669,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpat55 View Post
Avon students go to Manasquan now and Belmar splits between AP and Manasquan

??? Why would'nt the Avon kids got to AP,and then your sending Belmar to AP when Manasquan is 5 mins away?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,988,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpat55 View Post
If you are looking for better train service including one seat rides into NY look Long Branch and northwards. South of LB you will need to change trains either in LB or Newark depending on the train with less feq service esp on weekends
The person is commuting to Newark, not NYC. Morning trains from Bay Head express from Red Bank to Newark and terminate in Hoboken.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 PM

27 posts, read 150,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygmc View Post
We want at least 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, basement, 2 car garage.

Thanks for pointing that out!!!
I know the right house for you...It is 500 Prospect Avenue in Spring Lake, NJ. It is waterfront, has 4 beds, 3 baths, it is $499,000, the cheapest house by far in Spring Lake. The reason is that it is adjacent to the railraod tracks, but the train station is walking distance. The owners rent the house out, and are negotiable, as I understand it. It is five blocks to the beach, has a swimming pool, and the house is in great renovated condition. The agents name is Diane Glander and her phone number is (732) 233-9630. I hope it works out for you, and welcome to Spring Lake!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM

27 posts, read 150,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
??? Why would'nt the Avon kids got to AP,and then your sending Belmar to AP when Manasquan is 5 mins away?
Manasquan is getting overcrowded, so the Avon and Belmar kids go to Asbury Park, and I dont have anything good to say about AP. The Belmar school district splits students between Manasquan and AP, and I hear that the students parents need to request their children to go to Manasquan. Its a darn good school, though, Squan High.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,641,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaGirtBeachBum View Post
I know the right house for you...It is 500 Prospect Avenue in Spring Lake, NJ. It is waterfront, has 4 beds, 3 baths, it is $499,000, the cheapest house by far in Spring Lake. The reason is that it is adjacent to the railraod tracks, but the train station is walking distance. The owners rent the house out, and are negotiable, as I understand it. It is five blocks to the beach, has a swimming pool, and the house is in great renovated condition. The agents name is Diane Glander and her phone number is (732) 233-9630. I hope it works out for you, and welcome to Spring Lake!
Well, it's settled then. Cut the check Bob!

Shanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey