Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 PM

474 posts, read 1,268,845 times

Advertisements

On the heels of the much-touted tax break, I opened this morning's paper only to see that Atlantic Electric is going to raise its rates. This means the average tax bill will increase by 10.54%. Jersey Central will be going up by 14.2%.

For an example, a "typical" Atlantic Electric bill now will be about $110.00. Ours is always higher, especially in the winter because we have to use space heaters as the oil heating system in this rental is very bad.

I can think of no possible way we can continue to live in this state anymore, much as I hate to leave it (although there are some other, personal reasons why I can no longer remain). OK, so I guess electric rates all over the US will go up, but when you are already starting with a high rate the bills will really be going over the top.

Please tell me, who can afford to live here anymore? Why are the powers that be doing this to us? I feel especially bad for the elderly who make just enough income not to qualify for some utility assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 12:11 PM

1,399 posts, read 7,731,251 times
yeah saw that but didn't wanna "pile on"

" Jersey Central Power & Light customers will see their bills jump by 14 percent, or $13.30 a month, pushing the average monthly bill to $106.72. Customers of Public Service Electric & Gas, the state's largest utility, will be hit with an 11.7 percent increase, or $10.86 more a month, increasing the average monthly tab to $103.65. "

I guess I could mount a generator onto one of my bicycles as per Soilent Green.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:51 PM

91 posts, read 478,793 times
Default Don't forget Cablevision's and Comcast's Yearly increase!

They increase their bill yearly. Operating costs

Old 02-10-2007, 03:17 PM

474 posts, read 1,268,845 times
Default Important to Remember

Comcast raises their rates because they can. They are the only cable provider in town, so to speak.

With this talk of utilities, I thought it might be good to remind people who are moving to a new area that your credit will be checked by all the utilities. Doesn't sound like much, but that means there will be hard inquiries on your credit reports, with a concurrent lowering of scores.

I can understand checking credit but the lowering of scores at that rate is unfair, plain and simple. But this has been a long time gripe with me, as I feel that any excuse is used to keep people's scores as low as possible. But that's a subject for another message board.

Meanwhile, be aware when you move that your scores will be lowered simply because you are signing up for necessary services. Cheerful thought, isn't it?

Old 02-10-2007, 10:21 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,486,843 times
Ok this thoroughly depressed me...LOL..here we go again!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2007, 08:57 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,205,988 times
Talking Not for too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
Comcast raises their rates because they can. They are the only cable provider in town, so to speak.

With this talk of utilities, I thought it might be good to remind people who are moving to a new area that your credit will be checked by all the utilities. Doesn't sound like much, but that means there will be hard inquiries on your credit reports, with a concurrent lowering of scores.

Comcast and Cablevision are about to get some serious competition. Verizon has launched its new FIOS service which is from what I have heard and seen way much better than anything Comcast or Cable has to offer.

You can always go to verizonfios.com and check to see if they have any plans of laying their fiber wires in the area you live in - if not call them and tell them you are interested in FIOS.

Gas and electric bills on the other hand are a killer already don't even know what to do anymore. Getting solar or anything else set up is another headache since you need to come up with at least another $15K not to mention other related costs.

My time to move out of NJ seems to be approaching..lol.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 AM

1,399 posts, read 7,731,251 times
tec wise fiber triumps coax-cable everyday...it's physics 101. If they put in place a good support structure (maintance/repairs etc) Verizon will over time replace the cable folks unless the gov. mettles in the issue.. I have verizon fiber at the street as of a couple of months ago now and may well be the 1st here to tap in and go completely fiber.
Might be a nice feature to point out on the property description seeing as how I'm looking forward to getting out of NJ !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey