Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 10,837 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been reading this site for a while and find that it's packed with useful info!

My story: I need to commute to New Brunswick but really enjoy being in New York City. I figure that Jersey City would be a decent option within my budget. I don't want to use a car. So, I have a few questions:

First, is it painless to use the PATH (via Hoboken to say, Grove Street) on late nights and weekends if I want to dip into the city for meeting friends in Manhattan or Brooklyn?

Second, are there a lot of places to go in Jersey City in terms of restaurants and bars? To oversimply things: is it more Hoboken or Williamsburg Brooklyn in its vibe?

Finally, does anybody have any comments about commuting to New Brunswick from Jersey City? I figure it'd be best to ride PATH to Newark and then NJ transit trains.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:38 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
The PATH in Hoboken and JC is easy to use at all hours. Also, the PATH ride from JC to Newark is a piece of cake. It's maybe 15 minutes and since you're reverse commuting you should enjoy a relatively uncrowded train. That doesn't mean you'll find a seat but at least you won't be packed in like a sardine. The NJTransit train should likewise be a lot less crowded than if you were going in the other direction.

Downtown JC is weird and while parts of it look like Williamsburg and parts look like Hoboken I wouldn't say it's much like either. If you wanted to draw a comparison it's probably more like downtown Brooklyn.

There are restaurants and bars but not of the quantity you'll find in Hoboken (or Williamsburg) but that's changing bit-by-bit. Still, if you're living there and you want to keep it local a few nights a week there are plenty of options.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:07 PM

87 posts, read 351,738 times
When I lived in Jersey City about two-and-a-half years ago, I often had very long waits for the PATH late at night. And on weekends I believe it always goes to Hoboken before it goes into NY or back to J.C., which is a pain. I don't know if things have improved any since then, though I hope so.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdurett View Post
When I lived in Jersey City about two-and-a-half years ago, I often had very long waits for the PATH late at night. And on weekends I believe it always goes to Hoboken before it goes into NY or back to J.C., which is a pain. I don't know if things have improved any since then, though I hope so.
Overnight the trains are every 30 minutes so it's best to check the schedules The 33rd St. trains do run through Hoboken but still, it's 20 minutes or less from there to Jersey City.

But if you're heading into Manhattan you always have the option of taking the WTC train and connect with city subways there.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
30 Minutes - more like 1Hour+ waiting for the path after say 10PM weekends. It is so ridiculous how long you need to wait. The station on 33rd is like a sauna and tons of people waiting from manhatten to get on. For even a more enjoyable ride, the path goes to Hoboken first, stops, and waits, and waits, then backtracks to Jersey city.. Oh..its not a good ride at all.

Leaving from JC to NYC on weekends is the same routine. Goes to hobo first, then waits, then goes to NYC. Yes, its still the same

Old 09-02-2008, 12:53 AM

Yeah, sorry, it's not an hour. I've been making that trip for 18 years. A few times I've had to wait a really long time but it was because of equipment problems or police activity. Not because of the schedule.

Anyway, they're every 15 minutes off-peak and every 30 minutes overnight (from midnight - 4:30am)

Old 09-02-2008, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 10,837 times
thanks for all of your replies. i know that you can consult the PATH schedule on the panynj.gov site. according to the site, it is not an hour for weekend or late trains (more like twenty minutes if you catch the train at the right time, and that includes the loop over to hoboken). the question, then, is more about whether those trains run reliably and on schedule ?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:46 AM

138 posts, read 610,339 times
In general, the Path is very reliable. They did change the schedule about a year ago, so the overnight trains on Saturday night are actually every 15 minutes until 3 AM. Yes, you have to go through Hoboken, but it does not take that long. The 1 hour+ is very much an overstatement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey