Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 22,827 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Monmouth County. We are considering buying a home in Jackson. The home is currently hooked up to well and septic. In the seller's disclosure they stated that due to a zoning ordinance the house will have to be hooked up to city water. The realtor explained that the township will run the line and then we will have to pay to have it run from the street into the house.

I thought this was the house for us and was a good buy but I was wondering if anyone knew of a roundabout cost for this. It may pay to start looking at other homes that are already hooked up to city water instead of having to do this ourselves.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 07:24 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
It depends on the length of run to the house, the size of the line, and who's doing the actual connection in the street. If the town is stubbing the line behind the curb, you can figure on probably $40-50 per foot from the curb to the house for a 3/4" or 1" line, plus maybe another $750-1,000 to make the connection inside and abandon the well. You'll also have to repair the landscaping along the path of the line, as the backhoe is going to tear up the front yard when it digs that water line down 4' below the surface.

If you've got to make the connection in the street, that can add another $3-4,000 to the cost. You should check with the town to see if they're going to charge you a connection fee too- that itself could run a few grand.

Bob

Old 01-28-2007, 07:33 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Im selling my house in jackson and we are still septic and well and will be for quiet some time, im also a realtor here in jackson as well as monmouth county...Im on the freehold Side/Millstone side and we were told it wont be a few years yet until they get to us....Bob is right I would find out what the cost is before you decide not to buy the house...

Old 01-28-2007, 07:41 PM

Bob,
Should I be checking this with the Township or should I be calling the MUA for a time frame and estimate?
Thanks again,
Liz

Old 01-28-2007, 08:13 PM

16 posts, read 21,443 times
Default Liz

Beware of buying in Jackson they have had a problem with the water for years its been in the papers and on TV. The taxes are very high and the schools have trailers because of growing pains associated with all the new development. So beware there are alot of for sale signs out on the lawns.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:21 PM

yeah too bad someone has no idea what they are talking about I remember the jersey boys having to ISSUE an apology for that comment considering the DEP checked the wells and it was false we have the best water in the area...Liz do your homework....and we dont use trailers
and our ELEM school Elms where my kids go their 06 scores came out and they are at 97% for reading and for math...and my son is doing excellent in middle school...Elms is 3 years old and will be going Blue Ribbon....manalapan and marlboro have trailers to so liz it depends on where you decide to go...

Old 01-28-2007, 08:25 PM

16 posts, read 21,443 times
Default Liz

Just double check on what I said because I'm not selling a house there.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

As far as the taxes go, in Monmouth County I'm paying $6800 in taxes/year on a townhouse. The house we were looking at in Jackson is on an acre and the taxes are $7700. Even with the upcoming revaluation, I think I'm getting more for my money there. An acre in Monmouth County would cost me significantly more. (Especially considering the house we are contemplating was built in 2001. I'm not of the belief that I could touch a house in Monmouth County in that age range for the price range or taxes I'm able to get in Jackson.)

I do agree with you about the school system. I'm 99% sure that the house we are considering is zoned for Switlik. Since I'm uncomfortable with the crowding of the schools and the trailor situation we have decided that when the kids go (my oldest is only 3) we will enroll them in parochial. If we were zoned for one of the newer schools (like Elms) I'd probably consider it, but both my husband and I attended parochial so sending our children there isn't a huge deal for us.

Thank you again for pointing out other things that need to be taken into consideration. Moving is stressful enough without having things bite you in the backside after the move that could have been researched before hand.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Liz also be aware that jackson is being reassesed and will be hit hard so those taxes that are 7700 will more than likely be 9000k we moved here from Millstone Twp monmouth county 2.5 yrs ago, my taxes went from 8200 to 9900 and that is without the reassesment...there are plenty of developments off of leesville that are affordable now however tax assessor told me when I called that they are bringing everyone up to market value..they are telling me by end of 08 they will be upward of 12,000 so just beware...and it depends on what price range you are in also...the older the home the less the taxes will be however once again the older homes are really underassesed which is going to hurt alot of jackson...my house is 6 yrs old...anyway, like I said Elms is awesome just go onto greatschools.net and it will give you the scores..06 scores are out...I have been extremely happy with the schools....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: