Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:04 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith77 View Post
I have one a couple of towns from em in TN. Not even close to waht we are used to in NJ
There seems to be a Catholic Church every 27 feet here in New Mexico. Kind of like toll booths in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 PM

46 posts, read 153,250 times
So how do you like TN so far? I think it's beautiful! But yes lacking in Catholic churches, just like Alabama is. And the Catholic churches they have here.......I wonder if they know what Roman Catholic really is all about. (God forgive me!)

Well, the question isn't is there a Catholic church for me to attend, but which one should I attend!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusCaballus View Post
Just found out the job the hubs is applying for in the NJ/NY area, loved his resume, so he has a 75% chance of getting the job!

That means a move from North Alabama.

The only other huge city I have lived close to was Denver, Co.

What am I in for?

Do Northern people take kindly to Southern people?

Luckily, I am well educated and do not have an awful Southern accent, and I talk very fast already!
Although, I am sure even the slightest twang will be heard!

Any advice, info..etc., etc., etc., would be great.
I am already up to my eyeballs reading tons of NJ/NY posts and threads.

Anyone know of any good horse stables in the Ringwood area?

Thanks!
Overall we're not as friendly, so don't act so friendly to us or take personal to aggressive drivers. Whatever u dont have in Alabama u will enjoy here. My mother is from the south, she loves her family there and easy-going environment but nc lacks jobs. btw there are no Hardees here so don't expect good biscuits or nice weather. If u move here also understand how far it is from alabama

Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 PM

It's so funny how people mention things likes Hardee's and Waffle House, while those are pretty gross places to eat to me. Granted if you are the bar hopping type and want some where to sober up in the wee hours of the morning, then Waffle House is for you, but I assure you....you will regret it later.
And though Hardee's has some pretty decent breakfast now and then, they don't have much else.

I don't like fast food either.
So.......I hope there are some decently priced restaurants that have great food with good prices.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 PM

120 posts, read 1,171,187 times
Tn is ok. I have had a very hard time making friends. I made some but they all were from out of state and were transferred so they wouldn't last long. I have made a friend from TN after 4 years and so far so good. Then I have had a hard time finding a job. There are no good paying jobs here in this area, so i have to work at a fast food resturant not that its bad way to make a living, but I'm far from happy with it. Thats not what I went to school for. Places that I can apply for a good job in the feild that I like, they wont even look at my resume after they see I am from NJ. Yes I have been told that also. If I am lucky to get an interview they hardly take much time with me. The heat mmmm no I can't take much longer. I am also not to fond of the food, to carb-e.
It is very pretty here and I love to travel the area, go 4-wheel'n and camping. Hopefully my husband will transferred soon and be closer to where I will be more accepted and happier.
Plus the number one reason I don't care for TN, I miss my family.

Roman catholic is what I was brought up in and that is why I don't go to the catholic church by me. It just not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusCaballus View Post
So how do you like TN so far? I think it's beautiful! But yes lacking in Catholic churches, just like Alabama is. And the Catholic churches they have here.......I wonder if they know what Roman Catholic really is all about. (God forgive me!)

Well, the question isn't is there a Catholic church for me to attend, but which one should I attend!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:02 PM

120 posts, read 1,171,187 times
I walked into a waffle house and truned right around.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Hey EquusCaballus (love the name)!

I moved to NJ from a southern state (VA) 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. The biggest shock was the cost of housing here. But I love all of the little things that make NJ unique. Full service gasoline, boardwalk rides at the shore, porkroll, and any bread/bagel/roll product is far better in NJ than in VA. Also, although people love to complain about NJT, we are fortunate enough to have some of the best transit service in the country.

People in NJ are the best (most of 'em, anyway). My southern grandma thinks it's rude that Jersey folk don't smile and say "Hi" to every person they pass on the street. Maybe it seems that way, but I gotta tell you, my "Jersey folk" make the best friends you could ask for.

It seems to me that you're excited to come, and from what you've posted, I think NJ will be able to offer you a lot! Seems like a good fit! Welcome to the Garden State!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:26 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Hey EquusCaballus (love the name)!

I moved to NJ from a southern state (VA) 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. The biggest shock was the cost of housing here. But I love all of the little things that make NJ unique. Full service gasoline, boardwalk rides at the shore, porkroll, and any bread/bagel/roll product is far better in NJ than in VA. Also, although people love to complain about NJT, we are fortunate enough to have some of the best transit service in the country.

People in NJ are the best (most of 'em, anyway). My southern grandma thinks it's rude that Jersey folk don't smile and say "Hi" to every person they pass on the street. Maybe it seems that way, but I gotta tell you, my "Jersey folk" make the best friends you could ask for.

It seems to me that you're excited to come, and from what you've posted, I think NJ will be able to offer you a lot! Seems like a good fit! Welcome to the Garden State!
Your granny next met me then. My partner says I'll talk to anyone and I'm always smiling

Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 PM

Well, for me the problem is finding a career for the degree I studied for while living here. I don't know why I went into a dead zone for a degree(well because I LOVE art ).....but on a plus side if I do move to NJ, I could probably use it there.
I moved from Southeast AL to Southwest, AL and had very few friends in the 2 years I was there, then moved from Southwest, AL to Northeast, AL and still no friends for the last 2 years. Well, except with my neighbors and maybe acquaintances with a few of her friends. So maybe it doesn't have much to do with moving, but with the person. I don't know. The reason I moved was because my husbands job is in the computer/networking field and he is always looking for the bigger paycheck(retirement reasons though we are in our 20's still), if that makes sense.
Dsmith, I am sorry that TN hasn't been more accommodating for you. I don't know much about it. I have only been there a handful of times for white water rafting and camping, or visiting in-laws.
Maybe you should learn to play an instrument and become a country music star?
That was a joke.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:55 PM

Hello Lammuis......reminds me of the son of Omphale and Heracles.

Thanks about the name bit. Did you have to look it up?

Well....I don't smile/wave and say Hi to every one here. They would probably think I am crazy. Maybe other Southern states are more friendlier than others?
I don't know. I think North Alabama is less friendlier than South Alabama. Weird.

I know what you mean about housing. I nearly fell over when I saw what the price of a 2b/1bt was on a LOT! I have 3 big dogs and I am concerned about where they are going to play/run around. I can walk them sure.....but until winter hits they are outside doggies, unless it's bad weather. I would have to make one bedroom a dog room. Haha.
I hear (read) Ringwood is mostly considered "country" or "rural" there so thats nice. The owner of the house said she hasn't sold it yet, because people consider it too far from the city for their liking. More for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey