Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:26 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times

Advertisements

The other day I was driving on South orange avenue from south orange into the vailsburg section of newark and i thought to myself how easy it is for gangs and drug dealers to walk into a fairly wealthy section of SO and cause trouble. The same thing goes with maplewood and springfield avenue next to irvington....theres like no transition between south orange and newark and maplewood and irvington. it goes from good to bad. no in between.

does anybody know if there are gangs in south orange or maplewood that are related to newark or irvington?? I'm just curious and i need to get this thread off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 06:48 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
The cops do an excellent job of keeping that sort of thing out of Maplewood and South Orange.

So no. I have never once, in all my times in Maplewood and South Orange, ever have I seen something gang-related.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:09 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
I am pretty sure those wealthy sections have spoiled rich kids who try to be gangsters, but that is the farthest extent

Old 06-28-2008, 07:14 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Well theres always "gang activity" around urban cities like what yor sayin, the Newark and EO area
Like if you say any main city in america your goin to hear about Gang activity, i grew up in Hackensack and i didny see gang activity, but drug dealers were there... they could be anywhere, some of the richest could be dealing, so the drug dealing in a yuppy area isnt a rareity... ALOT of people vent themselves with drugs poor or rich

Old 06-28-2008, 08:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I have lived in Maplewood/SO for over ten years and have never seen any gang activity.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:51 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
I grew up in South Orange and cut all ties with the town when I sold my mom's house 3 years ago. For at least the last 15 years there has been a small amount of crime resulting from people who were from one of the surrounding towns. Just reviewing the police roster in the local paper proves this. In the past 5 years I became particularly cautious driving in Maplewood on Springfield Avenue because on more than one occasion I witnessed or heard of police chasing vehicles into or out of Irvington.

That said I was never aware of any gang activity however I did witness two of my friends get mugged about 3 blocks from the high school by a small "gang" of teenagers. This was in the 80's. I think they caught the kids and none of them went to CHS.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:43 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
You may find gangs of elementary school kids with their soccer moms or nanies walking to the park to play. Armed with strollers and binkies. But that is about it.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:00 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,923 times
LMAO! Are you serious? Did the sight of black kids walking around have you asking the question?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:55 AM

825 posts, read 3,161,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
The other day I was driving on South orange avenue from south orange into the vailsburg section of newark and i thought to myself how easy it is for gangs and drug dealers to walk into a fairly wealthy section of SO and cause trouble. The same thing goes with maplewood and springfield avenue next to irvington....theres like no transition between south orange and newark and maplewood and irvington. it goes from good to bad. no in between.

does anybody know if there are gangs in south orange or maplewood that are related to newark or irvington?? I'm just curious and i need to get this thread off my chest.
what part of essex county are you from? i take it, it was your first time driving on South Orange Ave into South Orange/Vailsburg. South Orange is fine, Seton Hall kids are told that there area is fine, just don't go two blocks east. cuz then you're in Vailsburg.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
This is something the local law enforcement and schools have on their watch list. Some people in town claim there is gang activity, some people claim there isn't. When I lived there it wasn't an issue, and I haven't heard from any of my friend who still live there that it is.

Fact is some neighborhoods border some tough towns. But there are plenty of people who are friends, employees, and co-workers who live in those tough towns, so the fear really isn't there among people in Maplewood and South Orange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey