Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:47 PM

7 posts, read 29,411 times

Advertisements

hi there!

i am new to this site, and i have read some of the earlier threads about the Franklin Township schools in Somerset... my family might be moving to this area soon -- one of the Quailbrook development houses, so i am also curious as to how the public school system is progressing... i'd appreciate some up to date info on the middle and high schools - as they seem to be the concern in particular... are they still as 'bad' as others would say?? is there still hope for the quality of public education in this area? or is it still a 'wait and see' situation?

my kids are still young (prek, and k) and we are planning to send them to private school for now.. in this case, can we actually just sit back and not worry at this point? perhaps i am just thinking too much of the future (as we are hoping to stay in this nice house for long time! - don't really like moving a lot) -- so any feedback will be very much appreciated...

on another thought -- any recommendations for a good pre-k school near Quailbrook? i don't mind travelling 15-20min as long as it has a good pre-k program...

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 AM

19 posts, read 139,874 times
Hi jerseygirl09,

Actually, my family is in the same boat as yours, except we do not have any kids yet. I've lived in a Qualbrook townhome for 4 years, and now just bought a single family house in Somerset. We wanted to stay here because we love this town, and it's one of the best in NJ for commuting to NYC and to the rest of the state, very central location.

But we're also staying because I truly think that in the future, the school system will continue to improve. To my knowledge, the school system has gotten better in the last 10-20 years. With the influx of new (expensive) housing that has gone up since the late 90's, I can see the schools continuing to improve. I find it hard to believe that EVERYONE in these new expensive houses is sending their children to private schools. As you probably already know, private schools are very expensive, and no tax writeoff for this either! With the price of gas, food, etc. going up, I can see people reverting back to the public school systems, which IMO are just as good if not better than private schools anyway.

I've read that there's some fights in the Franklin HS, and some tough guys ("gang members"). Granted, there probably is some bad element in the schools, but true gangs? I laugh at this.......move to Irvington/Newark; you'll find the real gangs there!

As for the investment side of living in Somerset, I think it's a great long term investment. The more expensive, more "desirable" Somerset county towns are ridiculously expensive, and becoming a lot more crowded (ever drive through Bridgewater???). Over time, I can see people taking advantage of the "bargains" that are available in Somerset, especially if they work in NYC. The NE corridor train from NB or Jersey Ave. is direct service, non-stop, whereas the Raritan Valley line from Basking Ridge, Bridgewater, etc. kinda sucks (change trains in Newark).

Anyway, stay in touch jerseygirl09, and let me know how you are making out with the Franklin schools. And good luck with the house!

Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 AM

thanks for the feedback marc777! i am really excited to move now... i guess we just have to think positive and hope for the best in the future... we just couldn't resist the house we found... we will never find a house like that (at that price!) in Bergen county...

take care!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:44 PM

I've got a feeling there will be a lot more people thinking like you ("could not resist that house at that price") in the future, which is why I think Somerset is a nice investment.

If the schools never improve in 10+ years, then I guess you'll have the option to send them to private school, move to another town, or just send them to the public schools anyway. Of course, stay on top of them and involved to ensure that they don't end up with the wrong crowds (but wouldn't you do that no matter what school they attended?)

But, if the schools do improve, then I think we may have hit the jackpot, and this area will become the next "hot" area in terms of real estate prices.

Sounds like small risk, high reward to me.....

Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
I have a kid just finishing up kindergarten here. Couldn't be happier, and I am a degreed professional, so I DO care. Plenty of other educated people with kids at my childrens school, and every one is constantly amazed by the impression of outsiders that the district is bad.

From what I have seen, if you are an involved parent, your kids will do well. There are certainly kids who don't and their parents are the reason, not the schools. Somerset is extremely diverse, both ethnically and economically, so there are of course people here who are not as academically inclined. It is not a rich spoiled enclave, but a real town. I personally like the diversity, I think it provides my kids with an education about the world, and so far the academics appear no less rigorous than in more celebrated districs. That is me. If you like homogenous, then Somerset/Franklin schools are probably not your first choice.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Wouldn't do it.

Franklin Twp schools have been nothing but garbage for decades. Proof is in the pudding...look at the ratings and the scores...they stink.

The last few murders/shootings that took place in FTWP had recent Franklin High grads involved.

Drive through the town...not just the "good side". Drive through the projects on a hot summer afternoon and take a look for yourself. Those kids will sit next to yours in school...and it's not the kids...it's the parents who are too drunk, too ignorant, too pregnant (for the 10th time) too high, too in jail, etc. I don't need to go further.

I live in FTWP, pay ridiculous taxes and send my kids to private. A lot of us do. There is a waiting list for the local private school...for a reason.

I'd try No. Brunswick, So. Brunswick, Washington TWP (Warren Cty) before Franklin Twp.

Best of Luck.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:21 PM

Thanks for all your feedback... both positive and negative! -- having no clue on the town (except that i have friends who do have children in both public and private), it is interesting to know what other people think of it... i was concerned because like JerseyG has said, all you can find in the internet (i.e. GreatSchools website or Dept of Education NCLB Report Card etc.), is that their schools (or students?) don't really perform as good as the others ---

Although AnthonyB definitely has a point too...

Thanks for all your thoughts...

Old 06-25-2008, 05:21 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl09 View Post
Thanks for all your feedback... both positive and negative! -- having no clue on the town (except that i have friends who do have children in both public and private), it is interesting to know what other people think of it... i was concerned because like JerseyG has said, all you can find in the internet (i.e. GreatSchools website or Dept of Education NCLB Report Card etc.), is that their schools (or students?) don't really perform as good as the others ---

It's a lot easier to control your kids environment when they are in kindergarten than high school. Being a super involved parent often isn't enough when your kid is faced with choices that can bring them down every single day. I'm not sure why one would put their kid in a situation like that when there are so may far superior choices next door.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:00 AM

Hi jerseygirl09, if you don't mind me asking......what have your friends (who have children in Franklin schools) said to you about the school system, the students, etc.?

You can reply to me via direct message if you wish

Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl09 View Post

Go to schoolmatters.com. What is great about the website is that they break down the scores according to different socioeconomic groups. THAT is when it gets really interesting. You'll find plenty of people scoring extremely highly. Also groups that score lower and lower the average.

Also- don't forget that because district housing prices frequently move in tandem with scores, some districts have a very strong incentive to ensure that the official scores look as good as possible. And this frequently means not allowing all kids to take certain courses or tests.

If you really want to know about the schools, actually schedule a visit, walk around and meet some teachers and parents. Go to a PTA meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey