Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM

63 posts, read 346,105 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Anybody with kids going to public school in Franklin Township? We're buying a house in Quailbrook area. We were planning on sending our son to a private school for kindergarten since some say the public school system is not good but is this true or just hearsay?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 12:30 PM

717 posts, read 773,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylnb View Post
Hi,

Anybody with kids going to public school in Franklin Township? We're buying a house in Quailbrook area. We were planning on sending our son to a private school for kindergarten since some say the public school system is not good but is this true or just hearsay?
My wife went to the Old Franklin High school. They now have this new monstrosity for a HS down there. From what my in laws tell me the schools are still not that good. Stick to private if you can lay out the money every year.
I play golf at Quailbrook quite often with the in laws, Nice area- GOOD LUCK!!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:37 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,765 times
They're are so many nearby towns with good public schools. Why would you buy in Franklin only to incur the extra expense of private schools? Franklin is rated near the bottom of Somerset county towns as a desirable place to live.

E

Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 PM

We tried to buy a house in East Brunswick.. excellent public school systems and very nice neighborhoods. But for the price range we were looking at for 4 bedroom house $400-$475k -- All we could find are 1950's homes with leaky basements, mold and whatnot. It was more affordable to us to find a newer 1980's home in Somerset and pay for 1 child in private school. But in case something happens and we can't afford to pay for private school.. we want to know the real deal on Franklin Township public schools. We're not particularly concerned about High School yet since our son will be going to kindergarten and HS is still a long way down the road. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:09 AM

11 posts, read 40,994 times
I just responded to your post looking for PED!

I have 2 boys in Franklin Township public schools (2nd/K). By and large the elementary schools are quite good, and then system starts declining in Middle School to High School! However, we have a new Super (only few months into the job and he from Staten Island/NYC) - he seems to be open to change and the wheels of progress are turning.

Last week, the BOD just signed a contract for an outside auditor that will guide them in how resources can be re-deployed for better performance.

Specificically to your young child: There are 6 elementary school (K-4) divided by magnet programs, and school placement depends on where you live. Then there is 1 school for 5th & 6th; 1 school for 7th & 8th grade; and finally 1 HS.

You can imagine the class size getting bigger as they move from elementary school to lower middle school :-(

I think your child will be fine for up to 2nd grade - that 3 years give you enough time to evaluate and determine your options for middle school. We know parents that have pulled their kids from "Rutgers Prep" back into public (I don't think it is for financial reason).

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 PM

mimipin, thanks! very helpful info.. I am actually currently filling up paperwork with St. Matthias but my oh my.. so many fees! that I actually was thinking how much difference would this school be for him since he will only be in kindergarten and kids that age usually learn the same things (I think) ABC's , 123's etc and discipline is not usually a problem until middle school

Which school do your sons go? The nearest public school to us would be Conerly Road Elem. Thanks!!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 40,994 times
My kids attend MacAfee Road School. Cornerly is good, but it is a Liberal Arts Magnet School - the actual school placement depends on your choice of magnet program and location.

I think if you select and insist on Science Magnet program, your child may end up at MacAfee, Hillcrest or Elizabeth Av (very good elementary schools). Except for Pine Grove Manor all the elementary schools are quite good.

Some parents love St. Matthias, but I think they are forward looking to Middle/High School......graduates of St. Matthias are easily accepted to St. Joseph for HS. St. Joe is highly rated "affordable" private school.

If you plan on only 1 child then go for it; but I have 2 kids, I want to defer money for private school as far as possible......maybe I will be ready financially when it counts more (Middle/High School when peer pressure becomes a BIG problem.)

Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 AM

Thanks mimipin. Where do you plan on sending your kids to middle/high school?

Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM

19 posts, read 139,852 times
Hello, I am also contemplating buying a home in Franklin (Somerset), and I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the future outlook for the Franklin school system. I currently live in town, and I really want to stay.

With all of the new and expensive housing that has gone up from 1999 onwards, I have to think that the school systems will improve naturally, as I find it hard to believe that all of these parents can afford private schooling. I know that some of them will and do send their children to private schools, but all of them?? No way, I refuse to believe it.

If the people who bought those houses in 1999 had babies back then, then that means that their children are just now entering the school system, so we wouldn't see a change in the middle and HS for another 5-10 years.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:41 PM

marc777, i have the same thoughts. I think the key to great public schools is parent involvement. If more parents place confidence in public school system and really put time and effort. I think it makes a big difference. I used to live in Rockaway, NJ. Back then, school system in town was not highly rated and home prices were affordable. Now, the school ratings went high up so did the home prices. . I should've bought a home there back then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey