Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,014 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife and I are considering moving into a townhome in Montvale.

We are a south Asian couple in our 30s looking to live there for the next 5-7 years (or longer). We currently rent in Bergen county near the GWB and are looking for more space seeing that we'll likely start a family in the next couple of years.

I wanted to get a general idea of what the Montvale is like and opinions on the direction of the town. I see that there are new apartments/hotel/retail being built near the Wegman's shopping center. Multiple new townhome developments are being built as well. It seems the town is expanding, which seems to be a good thing.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 07:51 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Watch out for the deer

Old 03-03-2022, 07:53 AM

218 posts, read 214,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Watch out for the deer
Aint that the truth! I sent you a DM Gardenstate111.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Watch out for the deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnD View Post
Aint that the truth! I sent you a DM Gardenstate111.
Thanks, I'm not able to reply since I just joined the forum.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:51 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Montvale is a nice town that has been developing since the last of the major farms were sold off about 25 years or so ago. I went to a meeting in one of the company parks two years ago, and then to another to see a law firm there last year, and I was impressed with how they've managed to keep the area looking nice despite the influx of industry.

It's a good location, right on the Parkway, close enough to yet far enough away from the city, and easy access to upstate New York and New England.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Montvale is a nice town that has been developing since the last of the major farms were sold off about 25 years or so ago. I went to a meeting in one of the company parks two years ago, and then to another to see a law firm there last year, and I was impressed with how they've managed to keep the area looking nice despite the influx of industry.

It's a good location, right on the Parkway, close enough to yet far enough away from the city, and easy access to upstate New York and New England.
thanks for the reply. Glad to see that you like it. We also value the close proximity to major highways as my wife will be going into the city via GWB and I'd be driving down to morris county.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:45 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Good Schools and might I add a pretty good track team!

Old 03-03-2022, 07:17 PM

491 posts, read 367,215 times
Not a fan for multiple reasons:

1. High property taxes
2. Limited Diversity
3. Depressing Rockland County Border
4. Pathetic connectivity. The parkway is a toll road. Other real highways miles away, and with local roads/local traffic its almost laughably isolated

The entire pascack valley region, as well as the closter-tenafly corridor of NE Bergen County is never ever worth it.

SW, and SE are poor.

The best regions especially for a SA couple would be Central, or NW Bergen.

You have all the best features:
1. Lower property taxes
2. Great schools (but NE/PV also has good schools. credit where credit is due).
3. Amazing connectivity with Rt 17/Rt 4
4. Diversity (or at-least more diversity than Pascack Valley/Rockland county)
5. Vibrant economy

I often have to drive to the chase bank on chestnut ridge road in Montvale I literally feel pity for those who live there. It's laughable how long it takes to get to Rt 17.

These towns you can be there in a blink.

Good Luck.

Good towns to look into:
1. Paramus
2. River edge
3. Oradell
4. Ridgewood
5. Ho Ho Kus
6. Saddle River
7. Upper Saddle River
8. Mahwah
9. Franklin Lakes
10. Wyckoff

Old 03-03-2022, 07:21 PM

491 posts, read 367,215 times
A note on the wegman's area:

That is a mirage.

A former mercedes hq left the area despite begging, and pleas from the local population/area. They left because the economy is bad.

Later tax credits were awarded to build up the area. It's still very isolated/depressing and rockland county lite.

A similar mirage would be closter plaza which apparently is the sole reason one should live in North East Bergen (according to city data) lol

I would look at more options, but honestly you know yourself better than we do.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:25 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
A note on the wegman's area:

That is a mirage.

A former mercedes hq left the area despite begging, and pleas from the local population/area. They left because the economy is bad.

Later tax credits were awarded to build up the area. It's still very isolated/depressing and rockland county lite.

A similar mirage would be closter plaza which apparently is the sole reason one should live in North East Bergen (according to city data) lol

I would look at more options, but honestly you know yourself better than we do.
Some would think it much better to live around the the traffic choked roads of Paramus environs, because you know those malls are just adding so much to the quality of life plus you can just zip right across the gwb from that rt 4 entry. And I know all the back roads and there ain’t too many short cuts. Hang out for 3 lights before you can make it through if you opt for the local roads. Talk about depressing! You do have lots and lots of fast food joints to pull in to while you wait in traffic, so there is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey