Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 06:53 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
G1 said that and I doubt he wanted to start a holy war over the (south) Jersey Shore vs. Mass. New Englanders, so I don't know why you're getting so upset about it. You've never been to Edgartown and MQ hadn't even heard of it. I'd never heard of Cape May until I moved here so it's not like it's a household name either necessarily.

At the end of the day who cares?
No , I didn't. I said the two were nothing alike. I never compared the two at all .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 07:45 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,544,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No , I didn't. I said the two were nothing alike. I never compared the two at all .
Sorry. My bad. It was massachoicetts.

Bad bad day. Bad bad week.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:08 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Edgartown on Martha's Vineyard?? It's been a tourist destination since at least the '60s, especially for anyone with a sailboat and anyone who grew up in New England probably went there at least once as a kid. "recently manufactured vacation destination" is inaccurate to say the least.
Admittedly, I used Wiki, which referred to Edgartown as becoming a tourist destination in the past 25 years. I believe what you say above.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:15 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Tbf the family friends I do know who have their compounds in Edgartown bought them in the 70s. And I was more referring Edgartown to its proximity to Oak Bluffs which have all the Victorian stuff. edgartown abuts that and feels like the Cape May area. So if you stay in MV, Edgartown is very popular to stay in. Not a direct dorect town to town comparison. But a in general area.

I didn't make that clear in the op

Old 09-29-2021, 07:25 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Cape May is nearly 200 years younger than Edgartown. There are 100+ houses built pre 1800 in there. Oak Bluffs is the one with the Victorians and hotels from the 1700s, but I was simply comparing Edgartown to Cape May's beach quality and aesthetic.

All Im saying is the Jersey Shore has better... and im not really a fan of Cape May. It feels like a knock off MV, specifically Edgartown.
Cape May and Edgartown were both named villages in the 1600s. People visited Cape May in the 1700s, too.

"In 1761, Cape Island officially became the first seashore resort in America."

https://theshoreblog.com/history-of-cape-may/

Old 09-29-2021, 07:53 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
G1 said that and I doubt he wanted to start a holy war over the (south) Jersey Shore vs. Mass. New Englanders, so I don't know why you're getting so upset about it. You've never been to Edgartown and MQ hadn't even heard of it. I'd never heard of Cape May until I moved here so it's not like it's a household name either necessarily.

Ha, nobody, really, but this is City-Data, where we argue over all sorts of irrelevant nonsense for our own entertainment.

Seriously, it was the term "knock-off" that caused the dispute. Knock-off usually refers to something that's a copy of the original. Invalid use of that here, that's all.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:47 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:

I get defensive about south Jersey. Saying it's a knockoff was offensive IMO.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:11 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I get defensive about south Jersey. Saying it's a knockoff was offensive IMO.
meh people call providence knockoff Boston all the time, idrc. I just think Cape May is tacky compared to the other shore towns. I didn't feel the hype. Whereas, other Jersey Shore towns are way underhyped.

If everyone thought the same it would be pretty boring.

Not the first time I stirred the pot. I called the Hamptons and Nantucket both extremely overrated and underwhelming. As I did Ocean City MD. Maybe I have a different taste in beaches/beach towns.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
meh people call providence knockoff Boston all the time, idrc. I just think Cape May is tacky compared to the other shore towns. I didn't feel the hype. Whereas, other Jersey Shore towns are way underhyped.

If everyone thought the same it would be pretty boring.

Not the first time I stirred the pot. I called the Hamptons and Nantucket both extremely overrated and underwhelming. As I did Ocean City MD. Maybe I have a different taste in beaches/beach towns.
Cape May plays up to it's reputation and there is nothing wrong with that. Martha's Vineyard is all so a great place but only one place on an entire Island and one of the main arrival points on the Island. I think the tourism went threw the roof when they filmed Jaws there. Both are great tourist destinations but again other then being on the Atlantic Ocean not much alike.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Admittedly, I used Wiki, which referred to Edgartown as becoming a tourist destination in the past 25 years. I believe what you say above.
It was used in the film Jaws .Along with Woods Hole and Oak Bluffs. Considering that Jaws was written based on the New Jersey shark attacks it's kind of funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey