Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:08 PM

138 posts, read 610,737 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying a house, and we just received the "Flood Hazard Determination" paperwork. It clearly states that the home is NOT in a special flood hazard area and does not require flood insurance, but there is a note that says, "property is partially affected by moderate flood hazard."

We have verified that the seller does not have flood insurance and our lender does not require it. In addition, the seller disclosed that he has never had problems with flooding in the 10 years he lived there.

The realtor said this has something to do with towns being rezoned in order to qualify for federal flood assistance money. The lawyer spoke to someone from Floodsmart.gov: Your premier resource for flood insurance information who told him not to be concerned (can't remember their exact explanation).

My question is, do we need to worry? Does it sound like it's in any sort of flood area? Anyone familiar with this clause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,850 times
What I was told about the house we're looking at is that if you are not in an A Flood zone, then you don't need the insurance. The insurance broker told me that if we were in a B Flood zone optional flood insurance would be about $400 a year. If we were in a B zone and had the flood insurance and were then reclassified into an A zone, then our insurance would be grandfathered under the old rate. It turns out that we are in fact in a flood zone and the insurance will be $1400 a year. I'm new to all of this, but if your town could be rezoned why does the realtor think that won't affect you? Will the rezoning NOT put you in a class A flood zone? You can look at a FEMA map online and see what the current zoning is in the area.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM

138 posts, read 610,737 times
Thanks Irish - the rezoning actually happened already, and we are not in the A area on the FEMA map. All that makes me think it's okay, but I don't like the "partially affected by a moderate flood hazard" bit...

Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,449 times
Default flood insure

$1,100 in ortley beach, nj for the year with $160000 in coverage $2000 deductible

Old 03-17-2010, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulortley View Post
$1,100 in ortley beach, nj for the year with $160000 in coverage $2000 deductible

paulortley: can you tell me the name of the insurance company? I am looking for an insurer in Ortley Beach, NJ

Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM

164 posts, read 247,409 times
little ferry, NJ is a flood zone, I know ppl who pay $2.200 a year!! crazy!

Old 10-30-2019, 08:10 PM

4,183 posts, read 5,066,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo1980 View Post
little ferry, NJ is a flood zone, I know ppl who pay $2.200 a year!! crazy!

Fascinating thread.

Especially with regards to Little Ferry: as there is a new, 16 home development going up on Mariani Drive.

The builder claims that the annual flood insurance will be around $750 per year -- fat chance !

Old 11-01-2019, 09:07 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Helllo everybody,
I have a question about the cost of flood insurance if you happen to have it. I know my question is probably too general. I am just trying to estimate the monthly cost: is it like $100 or $500 or $1,000??
Thank you all
We live on a controlled lake that has never flooded the neighborhood, and pay around $1100 a year. It would be much more along the bay or ocean. When we first had our mortgage that mortgage company insisted on a FEMA company from their list and it was twice as much for the same coverage. When our mortgage got sold the new company luckily accepted the less expensive policy and we were able to switch. Make sure your mortgage company will accept whatever policy you choose.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:12 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
With rising waters due to climate change, more zones will be required to buy flood insurance. Even if you don't live near water as long as your land level is low enough to be affected by the water table rising during a major storm.

During Hurricane Irene, I had minor water coming into my basement. I found some foundation cracks that allowed the water to get pushed in. But some people down the block had to throw out their furniture and items in the basement as it became flooded. There's no sign of flooding on the streets.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 502 times
Default Cost of Flood Insurance

It's may be $700 per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey