Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 11:35 PM

38 posts, read 60,249 times

Advertisements

Zhelder, thanks a million. It didn’t even occur to me to pass by there last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 08:03 PM

22 posts, read 61,457 times
Houses here in Hopatcong have gone up a lot in the past few years. You can't touch a small house for under 300K now. If you are commuting to NYC, I agree with the Rockaway recommendation. When the cars head back on route 80 it is going to be worse than pre-covid.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:40 PM

Hey guys, gave Hopatcong more chances with visits and it grew on me. Got an offer accepted!!! If any of you live out there, let’s hang, coffee is on me!!! But hurry up because the price of coffee is going up lol

Old 03-06-2022, 08:13 AM

189 posts, read 262,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Elisha View Post
Hi guys,

Quick update, I drove around on both sides of Hopatcong & it was a bit discouraging. I think the place is nice, I don’t mind the smaller homes but the privacy is not there. The homes are very close together, if you have nosy neighbors they’ll be all in your business. I wouldn’t rule out Hopatcong altogether but it definitely loses point for that. I drove to Oak Ridge / Jefferson Township & they seemed to have more private & also some affordable homes. Did anyone have a similar experience? Also, a huge plus on places mentionEd above is that they seemed welcoming. I’m tanned skinned Dominican & everyone I saw was white, it blessed me to see them wave at me & be kind. They don’t seem caught up in the current wave of racial climate promulgated by the media & the left. Huge thumbs up!
K Lo K!! Black Dominican here living in Lake Hopatcong for the last 4 years, my family and I relocated from Rutherford because we wanted a large property for 1/2 the cost of it in Bergen County. We searched almost exclusively in OakRidge/Jefferson for about a year before we bought our house in Lake Hopatcong. Lake Hopatcong is part of Jefferson township, depending where you live in town dictates which school the kids attend. Keep in mind Hopatcong is Sussex County, Lake Hopatcong is Morris County. Personally we decided to buy on this side of town due to the proximity of Dover. My wife and I are very connected to our cultural background so it was important to us to have access to Hispanic markets/restaurants, and we only have to drive 15 minutes away thanks to Dover’s proximity once your jump on Route 15.

We don’t feel any racial issues here, once my son started playing sports we met a ton of Hispanic families that also live in town. I would recommend you search on the Lake Hopatcong side of town too!

Old 03-30-2022, 11:42 PM

Xism, Dimelo!!! Thanks for that reply. Very much appreciated. Yeah, Lake Hopatcong was my first pick but we kept being priced out. We got beat out of like 6 homes in this market. The one in Hopatcong was a good deal specially for its size, my dear bride liked it & I second it. We wanna homeschool our children, I only ask about schooling because I know it’ll only be a matter of time before they make it illegal.

I’m willing to take that long commute to NYC from Dover. The neighborhood seems really nice & peaceful. We are most definitely about that & being helpful in serving our neighbors. “…Do not go to your brother’s house in the day of your calamity. Better is a neighbor who is near than a brother who is far away.” -(Proverbs‬ *27:10‬).

Old 04-05-2022, 10:03 AM

Welcome to the town William! If you are looking for a nice church, check out Calvary Chapel Morris Plains. It's on the border of Wharton/Dover. Quite a few of us from Hopatcong go there. You can check out some sermons online as well.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:12 PM

Thank you so much Jen973! I’m so looking forward to moving there. Yeah, my currently landlord told me they have a Calvary chapel up there. I’d definitely listen to a sermon. I currently go to Bread of Life at Kearny. Doctrines of grace / reformed theology. If the Lord permits I’ll visit your church one day. How has Hopatcong been for you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uZdv-TtiMkg

Old 04-09-2022, 08:47 PM

Sorry, I don’t visit this message board as much as I should but Hopatcong is great. I grew up down the shore and my husband grew up in Bergen county. We moved here in 2003 and love it. I serve the community by being volunteering in many organizations.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:14 PM

Jen973,

No worries. I understand. That’s so awesome. I appreciate the encouragement & friendliness. What type of organizations do they have for the community. My wife & I are interested in visiting the elderly in hospitals but because of COVID I highly doubt that’ll work.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:51 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Elisha View Post
Hey guys, gave Hopatcong more chances with visits and it grew on me. Got an offer accepted!!! If any of you live out there, let’s hang, coffee is on me!!! But hurry up because the price of coffee is going up lol

Congrats on your offer being accepted! Best suggestion I have is to see if there is a Facebook group for your new town. My town has t least one FB group with two for my development. One is homeowners only, the other doesn't care who joins so if you're in a development, search Facebook for a group. It's helpful to weed out pizza, doctors and repair people.

My aunt lived in Kearney many years ago, has to be about 30 now lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey