Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,875 times

Advertisements

I'm working in Bergen County starting this summer and relocating to NJ in June.

What safe towns and cities in NJ (30 minutes OR LESS from Wykoff/Mahwah/Franklin Lakes/Ridgewood) have lots of young professionals?

Other than Hoboken, Morristown, Montclair?? Already considering those.

Requirements:
-safety, more urban than Morristown and Montclair, restaurants/bars/cultural activities, public transport to NYC.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:05 PM

69 posts, read 313,287 times
I would strongly consider Bloomfield. Great shops and restaurants, parks, bus/train in town will get you to NYC. Short trip on the parkway to the towns you mention (20 minutes.) It could suit all of your needs. I'd focus your search in the North end of town - Oakview, Demarest, and Brookdale areas - and you will be very close to Montclair as well. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:10 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,964,124 times
Ridgewood, possibly Westwood.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 PM

792 posts, read 3,140,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs0208 View Post
What safe towns and cities in NJ (30 minutes OR LESS from Wykoff/Mahwah/Franklin Lakes/Ridgewood) have lots of young professionals?

Other than Hoboken, Morristown, Montclair?? Already considering those.
Not many you may be out of luck.

You may want to stretch to say 45 mins. and consider Nyack/Piermont, NY. Around Montclair you may find limitied amount of young professionals in Little Falls/Cedar Grove/Verona/Nutley. Maybe some around Rutherford/Lyndhurst/North Arlington too (i.e. Ridge Road corridor).

Aside from Hoboken/Morristown all is a bit sleepy and boring. But the more I think about it I generally hear a lot lately about young folks favoring Nutley and also North Hackensack (the area going through some gentrification near Lazy Lannegan's pub).

If I was in your shoes I take a serious look at Morristown (and adjacent Madison too).

You'd be surprised to hear stories about people living in Hoboken who do not work in NYC. Hobokenites driving to places like F-Lakes, Ramsey, and elsewhere (all for the sake of being in Hoboken). Consider maybe joining the club if you can "mentally agree" to battling the traffic and parking.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:05 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,997,004 times
I would consider Cliffside Park. Pleanty of good restaruants. Excellent houses/condos some with breathtaking views of Manhatten. Short bus ride into the city. One square mile with everything, you really do not need a car. Very safe.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:28 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,534,047 times
this is easy, Englewood!!!! Fancy getting more condo townhoused and yuppied each day, go to Palisades ave, this is it!! Trust me!!!!! Quick jump down route 4 to route 17 your in Mahwah, Ramsey or route 4 to 208 your in wyckoff!!!!!!! I got this one bagged!

Old 07-26-2008, 04:48 PM

Does anyone remember that record store (imports???) on Anderson Ave (??) in Cliffside Park in mid/late 80s?

Englewood? Not sure if I'd rush to recommend but certainly go to a concert at BPAC?? (fka Harmes Center) and dinner walk around. Gentrification and what I call 'greyscale diversity' (for sake of PC) has made parts in/around here recharged and looking better.

O/T - Any thoughts on Bayonne? Gentrification there?

Old 07-26-2008, 05:32 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,964,124 times
I have not been to Bayonne in years. One thing that I did not like about it is the only way in and out is via Staten Island or via some bad areas of JC.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I have not been to Bayonne in years. One thing that I did not like about it is the only way in and out is via Staten Island or via some bad areas of JC.
I was curious about the parts along that new train line from JC the HBLRT train IIRC. I heard a lot of older singles in aviation who work EWR are moving in there.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:35 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,534,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Does anyone remember that record store (imports???) on Anderson Ave (??) in Cliffside Park in mid/late 80s?

Englewood? Not sure if I'd rush to recommend but certainly go to a concert at BPAC?? (fka Harmes Center) and dinner walk around. Gentrification and what I call 'greyscale diversity' (for sake of PC) has made parts in/around here recharged and looking better.

O/T - Any thoughts on Bayonne? Gentrification there?
things from england, the guys name was steve I think who owned it, bought alot of stuff there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey