Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 04:50 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,239,225 times

Advertisements

How does this make any legal sense at all? We are going to be granting professional licenses to people who are not legally allowed to work here. This, plus all the other recent laws we are passing, like in-state tuition and driver's licenses, we may as well send invitations to all illegal aliens saying "Please move to NJ.".

Quote:
Dozens of professions and occupations require licenses under New Jersey law, including accountants, architects, acupuncturists, alcohol and drug counselors, contractors, court reporters, doctors, dentists, engineers, midwives, morticians, nurses, optometrists, plumbers, psychiatrists, and veterinarians.

Additionally, many of these occupations require a criminal background check for licensure. Under this bill, continuously violating our country’s immigration laws would no longer be a reason to deny a professional license to an illegal alien.
As the article states, this is in direct violation of federal law, but unless and until, someone challenges it in federal court, this will be the law in NJ as soon as Murphy signs it.

https://www.fairus.org/legislation/i...7BNP9LD-bUcVso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 07:42 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Sounds good to me. People with the skills and experience to be able to obtain these licenses are likely to be productive members of society.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Sounds good to me. People with the skills and experience to be able to obtain these licenses are likely to be productive members of society.
Kind of blows a hole in the argument about "jobs Americans don't want to do". Doesn't it?

Old 07-20-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Kind of blows a hole in the argument about "jobs Americans don't want to do". Doesn't it?

Not really. Immigrants can do both the jobs Americans don’t want to do as well as the professional ones.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Not really. Immigrants can do both the jobs Americans don’t want to do as well as the professional ones.
Wait. Not "Immigrants". Illegal aliens. I'm fine with legal immigrants doing whatever job they are qualified to do.

But people against illegal immigration say that they are stealing American jobs from Americans. People that are for open borders, counter that by saying that they are doing jobs Americans won't do.

So then they are stealing American jobs from Americans. You can't have it both ways.

Immigration laws are meant to protect jobs. Otherwise, why have a country? Why have borders? Why don't we just let the billions of 3rd world people who want to come here, in?

Old 07-20-2020, 09:17 PM

607 posts, read 553,790 times
Quote:
No one has a problem with "Immigrants" and you should be ashamed by suggesting that's the issue here.

"Illegal Immigrants" on the other hand should have no rights. They should be finger-printed and removed from and banned permanently from the country with no path to citizenship ever.

If you don't think the rules of the land apply to you...bye-bye!

On the other hand...legal immigrants are beloved everywhere...white/black/democrat/republic/rich/poor areas it doesn't matter.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
What some people don't seem to understand or care about is that we have a system of legal immigration and these people who are getting all these breaks have circumvented and disrespected our laws.

Have you ever tried to immigrate to Canada? Not much chance. Same with most countries. They have immigration laws that you have to comply with. Canada is extremely difficult because unless you have a skill that cannot be filled by a Canadian, you can't get in. Retirees can't usually get in either.

The laws for the US are equally difficult. You need to have a sponsor and that person can be someone who guarantees you a job because he/she cannot otherwise fill that job--and they have to submit proof that they can't find an American to do that job. Then there are piles of paperwork, lots of waiting, a background and a medical check, and then the sponsor pays thousands of $$ to the US government to get the person in.

You can also get in if you can find an American to marry and the American will sponsor you. Sponsors are responsible for the new immigrant for FIVE years, meaning they will pay for the immigrant if something goes wrong, like losing a job or needing a place to live. No benefits are available to the immigrant for five years.

You can also get in if your employer in your own country has an office over here and wants you to be here. They will be your sponsor. Also, if you are a foreign student, you can find a job here and immigrate that way.

The bottom line is that it's hard to immigrate to the US and it's just as hard to immigrate to any other country. But these legal immigrants worked to prove that they are qualified to live and work here. They deserve our respect because they have followed the rule of the law. How is giving freebies to cheaters who broke our laws fair to the people who came here legally? I am all for the DACA people because they didn't cheat; they were just kids when they were brought here. But I don't think we should be rewarding cheaters, lawbreakers and giving the legal immigrants a slap in the face after all they went through to get here the legal way.

No wonder this country is a mess. We reward people who broke our laws. I'm a left leaning Democrat, btw, and I want what is fair and legal, besides not taking American jobs away from Americans.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:40 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times
america loves cheap labor

that's why we had slavery

Old 07-20-2020, 11:27 PM

4 posts, read 2,254 times
^^ Then why did we end it after only 200 years? Portugal and Spain were the ones who started it and America had to follow suit otherwise the profit margains would've been non-existent.

To the illegal's getting drivers license problem... I've had my own experiences with the DMV here in NJ. I spent all day printing paperwork and other documents needed, double checked they all matched, stood in line... then was told I would need my original state DMV to sign off on everything to even be considered able to transfer. The last time I had an issue with my license was in high school and was under 18. Most I've ever gotten as an adult was a few speeding tickets.

I guarantee they can just go in with a simple "green card" or probably not even that and just get a brand new license. That's one of the main reasons I will be leaving after my family sells the house. I can't stand the forced liberal rhetoric here. How do illegals make it all the way up to New Jersey? They have no car, no money, and barely speak english. Wouldn't it just be easier to stop in Mexico since you know the language? There would be ZERO reason to make that long and hard journey unless there was easy free stuff being given to them once they make it here.

Like others have said... Come here thru the front door and we will welcome you with open arms no matter who or where you are from. Come in thru the back and you might surprise us when come home.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Wait. Not "Immigrants". Illegal aliens. I'm fine with legal immigrants doing whatever job they are qualified to do.

But people against illegal immigration say that they are stealing American jobs from Americans. People that are for open borders, counter that by saying that they are doing jobs Americans won't do.

So then they are stealing American jobs from Americans. You can't have it both ways.

Immigration laws are meant to protect jobs. Otherwise, why have a country? Why have borders? Why don't we just let the billions of 3rd world people who want to come here, in?

Oh, I see why you said that now. That’s never really my argument though. I would hope that immigrants who come here, illegally or not, strive for more than simply the jobs Americans don’t want to do.

Immigration laws are meant to protect jobs? That’s news to me. It’s also interesting that you have no problem with legal immigrants taking American jobs. Why not just ban all types of immigration if the purpose is to protect our jobs?

Also, I’ve said this before but it bears repeating for everyone else commenting. My parents and many aunts and uncles came to this country illegal. I’m thankful everyday that they made that choice. My bias is clear. I do not care about US immigration laws. Kind of like you don’t care about the law requiring you to have a front license plate on your car (that last part was a joke... sort of).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey