Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 10:51 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,280,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, i like how they are able to come up with numbers for things that they have no ability to come up with numbers for. like the 12 million or so illegals that are here which im sure will magically be 20 million if there is a success in legalizing those who are here already.
What numbers?

The proud child of illegals didn't even cite any....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 10:55 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,280,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Those people who cross the border would not sneak across of there were an accessible way for them to "do it right". Many of them tried to do it right, i.e. applying for asylum. Many can't afford the exhorbitant fees it requires to come legally. I would wager ALL of them "want" to come here the right way rather than give their life savings to mules who may or may not murder them along the way. My own grandparents wouldn't have been able to come if it was like this then, where coming here requires immigration lawyers and tens of thousands of dollars. All they had to do back them was stand in a long line and tell someone why they wanted to be here and what kind of work they could do.

Also the vast majority of people sneaking across the border are not physical therapy assistants or dental hygienists. The majority of illegal immigrants applying for those kind of professional licenses will be Dreamers, and I don't think it's unfair to allow them to stay here and work . The majority of the border crossers are going to work in jobs no one else wants like picking blueberries and slaughtering animals.

My job as an OT has seen salaries decrease with an abundance of legal immigrants from the Phillipines. I've never had my career impacted by illegal immigrants. In fact they contributed a lot to the economy in Ocean City as the year round population declines every year, they do a great deal to keep businesses up and running.

So what jobs/fields have you seen that are so saturated due to illegal immigrants that there's no room for others to come here and get those jobs. Which jobs on that list you gave are really overflowing with illegals???

Again I think the bulk by far of those professional licenses are being applied for by Dreamers.
There is a way to "do it right".

Stop giving excuses to those who don't.

And yep, might have to wait.

Or try another country b/c the ****hole you live in is so bad that you'd rather "sneak in" to the US illegally and think you can demand "things".

Try a little farther north...like Canada.

Good luck with that.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:13 AM

388 posts, read 617,726 times
Sneaking in and justifying illegals reflects the same mentality as pissing in a pool. People forget what attracted them to a clean pool in the first place and would then complain when we all find ourselves swimming in sewers. Sewers similar to ones we left behind.

Everyone has a right to better life but not at the expense of trampling others who are following the law.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:58 AM

4,037 posts, read 3,673,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
All of your family members overstayed a visa...? Of which kind?

Still illegal & criminal:

You can get your jollies wherever you choose to.

So now all of your illegal family members are legal US Citizens?

How did they manage that one and why do you keep saying that they are illegals?

What's your point?

Why don't you explain how/when/where/why your illegal family members came to this country and worked themselves to "legal" status, as opposed to pretending they are still illegal?

How did that work?

I'm sure all would be interested.

Unless you are full of it...

So, please, do explain the plight of your many illegal family members and how they became legal tax paying citizens...and then explain why you keep referring to them as illegals.

There’s a difference between illegal and criminal. But since you choose to make no distinction than I guess that makes you a criminal also, as I’m sure you’ve broken at least one law in your life.

Where do you see me still referring to them as illegals? You literally just made this up.

I honestly don’t know what their path to citizenship was. My dad is dead. My mom has told me some stories of their struggles early on, so I don’t really make a habit of bringing it up. And really, I don’t care. I especially don’t care about explaining it to you.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:24 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,214,667 times
Quote:

Or try another country b/c the ****hole you live in is so bad that you'd rather "sneak in" to the US illegally and think you can demand "things".

Good luck with that.

I used to live "a stones throw figuratively" from the Hudson County border and I've heard through the grapevine that there are people who know people in very high places who circumvent/cheat the law/process. Whether it's what happened to that poster's acquaintances for US citizenship - who knows.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,801,295 times
Quote:

Good luck with that.
its funny that the government sets up a system to "do it right" and republicans suddenly believe that the government is competent.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:44 AM

18,498 posts, read 15,303,271 times
Quote:
its funny that the government sets up a system to "do it right" and republicans suddenly believe that the government is competent.
Do they believe the government is competent?

The whole problem is that the government is incompetent, as usual. They used to be fairly competent with this, but then they made laws along the way making it harder to be competent. Like, requiring proof of citizenship to enroll in school. Now that is illegal. Landlords used to ask for proof of citizenship as well. Now that is illegal in many places. Now they have drivers licenses, in-state tuition, and soon, professional degrees.

It was much less desirable for them to come here when the life was harder and more in the shadows. But it is our government's fault. They are practically sending them invitations to come.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

The whole problem is that the government is incompetent, as usual. They used to be fairly competent with this, but then they made laws along the way making it harder to be competent. Like, requiring proof of citizenship to enroll in school. Now that is illegal. Landlords used to ask for proof of citizenship as well. Now that is illegal in many places. Now they have drivers licenses, in-state tuition, and soon, professional degrees.

It was much less desirable for them to come here when the life was harder and more in the shadows. But it is our government's fault. They are practically sending them invitations to come.
its just that we are aware that there is a way to immigrate legally but most of us dont even know what that is. people just accept that the way that the government established to legally immigrate is right and that it should be followed. are we supposed to support a process simply because a process exists? im not sure why we should assume that the legal way is appropriate for meeting the immigration needs of the country.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:52 AM

18,498 posts, read 15,303,271 times
Quote:
its just that we are aware that there is a way to immigrate legally but most of us dont even know what that is. people just accept that the way that the government established to legally immigrate is right and that it should be followed. are we supposed to support a process simply because a process exists? im not sure why we should assume that the legal way is appropriate for meeting the immigration needs of the country.
Well, it is better to know who is coming into our country than it is to not know who is coming into our country. So there is that.

As far as the legal way being appropriate for meeting the immigration needs the country? I don't have faith in our government. I have faith is the market. If we are suddenly paying $10 for a tomato, the people will want us to allow more immigrants. It wouldn't take long to find the balance.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:27 PM

51,027 posts, read 36,735,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

You’re ignoring the fact that illegal immigration was at 50-year lows when Trump came into office. He made it worse by cutting off aid and other assistance to Central American countries.

And people keep ignoring the fact that Visa overstays dwarf illegal border crossings by a mile. But they are not all brown people, so it’s more convenient to place all the blame on the Mexican border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey