Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 01:02 PM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJnewbielandlord View Post
The house is located in Rahway. The guy is a real piece of work!
You are right about the negotiating, I am absolutely done with that. I keep checking the NJCOURTS site and am getting no info other than its closed.
I believe one of my friends lives in Rahway. I'll hit her up to see if she knows a good attorney.

How far are you from the house? Hope not too far because it's a royal pain to have to drive to drop in on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 02:26 PM

118 posts, read 67,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I believe one of my friends lives in Rahway. I'll hit her up to see if she knows a good attorney.

How far are you from the house? Hope not too far because it's a royal pain to have to drive to drop in on them.
Thank you so much, very kind of you!!

about 20min out- it is a royal pain only because every time we go we get a story and no resolution! But I dont mind making them uncomfortable with my constant presence.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:15 AM

32,961 posts, read 36,439,551 times
Quote:

about 20min out- it is a royal pain only because every time we go we get a story and no resolution! But I dont mind making them uncomfortable with my constant presence.
You need to find out from your lawyer if going there every day is considered harassment. That may be why your squatter mentioned it.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:08 PM

551 posts, read 1,189,858 times
Thanks so much for sharing. What this brings to light is the hundreds of homeowners who rely on rental income to afford our mortgages, water bills, ever-increasing property taxes. We have no relief from any current programs, the SALT deduction caps 10k of property tax when multi-fam homes can be upwards of 20k now.. my mortgage provider told me that yes they can put me in forebearance but all interest STILL adds up and will be due in 90 days so whats the point? We are screwed either way.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:37 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,294,606 times
Quote:
The house is located in Rahway. The guy is a real piece of work!
You are right about the negotiating, I am absolutely done with that. I keep checking the NJCOURTS site and am getting no info other than its closed.
Try David Bressler, Esq., from Bressler-Duyk. His office used to be in Edison, but I think they moved. He's Middlesex County based and focused. His firm has two components -- a collection practice, and the other is real estate, corporate/business, etc. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2020, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Try David Bressler, Esq., from Bressler-Duyk. His office used to be in Edison, but I think they moved. He's Middlesex County based and focused. His firm has two components -- a collection practice, and the other is real estate, corporate/business, etc. Good luck!
He could end up being more. I see he's in Bridgewater. There has to be someone in Union County that's decent.

My friend doesn't know anyone. When we did my dad's house in Roselle we somehow used Jerome Petti in Union. I just googled, he has decent reviews. I'm not seeing that he has a website.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:29 PM

More? More than what? Rahway is very, very close to the border of Middlesex County. The father in the practice is a former Middlesex County Prosecutor. Their practice is Middlesex and Union County based. The other partner was town attorney for numerous towns in Union County, as well as the attorney for numerous towns' real estate/zoning/planning boards. They represent numerous landlords throughout Middlesex and Union Counties. If I owned a house in Rahway, and David Bressler was still doing this type of work, I'd hire him. They are well known, and well respected, by the right people.

That said, I hire the right person for the right job. I am sure you can find someone "less" but I think that's irrelevant. If you know what you are doing, how to hire the right person for the right job, with legal matters, representation, attorneys, etc., you can easily get what you pay for. For me, I don't look for someone decent. I don't look at internet reviews. I speak with knowledgeable, qualified, professionals, people in the business, people with experience. Get qualified, knowledgeable opinions.

Just my experience, and how I run my real estate business.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Just be careful. Aside from discussions, conversations, and any "negotiating" you may do (which, again, can have negative consequences), presence can be a good thing. But it can also hurt. He may claim harassment, (legal) enjoyment (of the property), and numerous other things. Once that starts, it becomes he said she said. There are certain things you should do, others you could do, and there are things you can't do. For a smart landlord, all of that, and more, becomes the attorney's job.

If the case ends up in court, or even if simply in litigation, written correspondence is far more efficient and effective than personal visits. It's admissible in discovery. Remember, he is going to claim he's never paid rent late to any landlord, his credit is wonderful, his track record is perfect -- and you checked all those things -- and they were OK. However, you are in the right -- for now. As long as you send overdue, late, inquiry notices, and ask for a reply in writing...there is nothing, absolutely nothing he can say to excuse non-payment of rent. Period. He can't win! The same doesn't apply for in-person discussions. Remember, he said she said. For example, like when he says you told him it was OK for him to pay the rent late. Oh, wait, you didn't say that? Did you? See my point?

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
More? More than what? Rahway is very, very close to the border of Middlesex County. The father in the practice is a former Middlesex County Prosecutor. Their practice is Middlesex and Union County based. The other partner was town attorney for numerous towns in Union County, as well as the attorney for numerous towns' real estate/zoning/planning boards. They represent numerous landlords throughout Middlesex and Union Counties. If I owned a house in Rahway, and David Bressler was still doing this type of work, I'd hire him. They are well known, and well respected, by the right people.

That said, I hire the right person for the right job. I am sure you can find someone "less" but I think that's irrelevant. If you know what you are doing, how to hire the right person for the right job, with legal matters, representation, attorneys, etc., you can easily get what you pay for. For me, I don't look for someone decent. I don't look at internet reviews. I speak with knowledgeable, qualified, professionals, people in the business, people with experience. Get qualified, knowledgeable opinions.

Just my experience, and how I run my real estate business.
When I said more I meant for him to travel from his firm in Bridgewater to the Union County court house which is 35 minutes right now on google maps. Attorneys can get expensive at $300 an hour. Petty is more local. I really can't give feedback for Petty, we used him in 2006, that's why I went to google reviews. If you like the law firm you suggested, OP surely can give them a call. They sound more then qualified.

As I've said, I'm not in North Jersey any more. I can recommend attorneys in my area.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:36 AM

118 posts, read 67,087 times
Quote:
Just be careful. Aside from discussions, conversations, and any "negotiating" you may do (which, again, can have negative consequences), presence can be a good thing. But it can also hurt. He may claim harassment, (legal) enjoyment (of the property), and numerous other things. Once that starts, it becomes he said she said. There are certain things you should do, others you could do, and there are things you can't do. For a smart landlord, all of that, and more, becomes the attorney's job.

If the case ends up in court, or even if simply in litigation, written correspondence is far more efficient and effective than personal visits. It's admissible in discovery. Remember, he is going to claim he's never paid rent late to any landlord, his credit is wonderful, his track record is perfect -- and you checked all those things -- and they were OK. However, you are in the right -- for now. As long as you send overdue, late, inquiry notices, and ask for a reply in writing...there is nothing, absolutely nothing he can say to excuse non-payment of rent. Period. He can't win! The same doesn't apply for in-person discussions. Remember, he said she said. For example, like when he says you told him it was OK for him to pay the rent late. Oh, wait, you didn't say that? Did you? See my point?

Good luck.
Thank you so much for all your pointers. I do not go daily (no point) but I do go at least once a week, if not every 2 weeks. After each visit i follow up with written correspondence to show that we have communicated etc since he is a liar and has repeatedly lied to our face. EVERYTHING I do is written (emailed or mailed, or text messages), all of which I am keeping in files. I am very careful not to cross any lines that can hurt us. I will look into the lawyers you all suggested and take it from there. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey