Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 09:45 PM

10,904 posts, read 7,350,108 times

Advertisements

Makes sense. Might see a bump in home prices in the NJ suburbs and a little more west.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/weal...k&par=sharebar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 10:01 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,732,628 times
I heard this also but I find it a bit odd to leave New York to flee from the virus but still work in New York.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:04 PM

4,199 posts, read 5,126,670 times
There was an article about this in last week's Wall St. Journal, I was going to post the link but it's behind a paywall...

Old 05-01-2020, 06:27 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,222,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I heard this also but I find it a bit odd to leave New York to flee from the virus but still work in New York.
The next time the city goes into lockdown the last place anyone wants to be is stuck inside a 500 sqft, 1 bedroom apartment with no outdoor space. If it's just your job that is in NY then you can stay home in the suburbs and work from your spacious house and yard. On nice days I bring my laptop outside and work out on the deck. It is quite uplifting. 20 years ago I used to live in Jersey City and loved the city life. Today you couldn't pay me enough to move back there.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:33 AM

1,005 posts, read 762,960 times
I think this has been top of mind for lots of people, and being someone stuck in a relatively medium-sized condo with 2 kids and no outdoor space has most definitely been top of mind for me. We joke that we've never wanted a garden variety McMansion with a back yard in a far flung suburb more than now (mostly joking about the McMansion part, but you get the idea).

Will that drive us to action in the next 1-2 years? I'm not sure, we'll see. A lot will depend on if our jobs become more flexible with days in/out of the office. We've decided to stay close to the city because we both work demanding jobs in the city, and put in city hours. We've never been able to make the numbers work from a commute perspective, if we actually want to see/spend time with our children. I'd need to be walking out the office door at 5:00 everyday and that's just not realistic right now. Now IF I could say work from home 2-3 days per week and commute in the others, well that may change the calculus. If I could truly work remotely full time? Well, we'd probably be looking at other locations around the country in general since we have no family connections here and have aged out of experiencing NYC on full blast.

But, we (as a society) have proven time and time again that we have short memories. Once this is collectively in our rearview mirror, will we fall back into old habits? I'm thinking probably yes, I just don't know what that timeframe looks like. But, to the broader point, I do think that those suburban homes look like a better investment than they did 3 months ago, at least in the short-term.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:21 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,310,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
This would be the way to go for necessary workers who would rather commute by car then public transportation. Think about medical professionals who might want to drive to the hospital. People who work in operations at television, IT support, critical construction. Traffic is light and it’s easy to find parking at least. If you do have to quarantine from your family it’s much easier in a nice big house. Bergen county towns have a 3 month minimum rental so now would be a good time to move.
unfortunately you have to be at a certain income level to make it work paying 2 rents at least for a while until the city lease is up.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:05 PM

5,826 posts, read 12,694,601 times
Same applies to most urban areas now. The urban warriors are changing their minds. Stuck in a city surrounded by potential corona cases is no fun.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:31 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,547,930 times
seems like business as usual to me. people leave the city for the burbs to raise kids

Old 05-01-2020, 09:10 PM

1,392 posts, read 4,039,702 times
Geez, I really hope not. I was hoping home prices would go down! Wifey and I have been patiently waiting on the sidelines for a few years now (and strongly considering relocating) to buy a house for a good price!

This article seems to be talking about wealthy home buyers anyway. I’m staying hopeful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: