Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:55 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,882,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
YES. I was babysitting that night in my town in Bergen County, and all of a sudden the house shook. Found out what that was the next day.
Ahh, the pre-Twitter days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 PM

478 posts, read 1,231,543 times
Bond's. The corner of 23 and Bloomfield Ave- White Castle, Claremont Diner, video arcade.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:50 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,155,695 times
I remember:

Two Guys in East Hanover
The Livingston Roller Rink
The Florham Park Roller Rink (it's still there!)
The Livingston Drive-In
Grunings
The Madison Friendlys (where we sometimes hung out in high school and where you'd see lots of ladies in their tennis clothes)
The small but wonderful childrens section of the old East Hanover library where I tried to read my way through every book in that section!
Afternoons when my best friend and I would leave the East Hanover Middle School (after classes were done), cut our way through the back of the police station, make our way through the supermarket (to pose in front of the security cameras and giggle), and various stores to buy candy, and then proceed to the East Hanover library to study, accompanied by much giggling.
Madison Plaza when it had a Woolworths
As teenagers, hitting most the diners in the Morris County area. That's such a Jersey thing to do. I could eat anything and not gain an ounce! I always had chocolate milkshakes!
Going to movies in Madison and Chatham
A certain pizza place in the Livingston Mall (which shall remain nameless), where I enjoyed the pizza but which eventually closed after the employees were arrested for plotting to kill the mall manager.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,880,972 times
Does anybody remember Wurlitzers on Hoes Lane? Great happy hour buffets, and dancing DJ's and waitresses. It was a great place to hang out and meet people.....lots of memories!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,962 times
Default Stoke's YCC 1976

Hey Al---I was also in the YCC at Stokes in '76. I am the guy with the orange tee shirt in your photo.
Do you remember me? I was leader of the Green Team and worked on all of the projects you mention.
YCC was one of the best experiences of my life!
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollytix View Post
Hi Kin Atoms!

Well, You've stumped me. I was also in the YCC at stokes in 1976, and I also lived in Bergen County.. But who are you? I cut allot of trees, worked on streams and roofs...

Attached is a group photo from those memorable years! I've been in contact with some of the staff recently.

send me an email!

AL

Stokes State Forest became my favorite in later life, as I worked there in 1976 in the YCC. We helped with timber stand improvement, latrines, a bridge in Tillman's Ravine, and a 40 foot look out tower on the mountain next to the monument.

For me, those were the institutions I recall best.
[/quote]

Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,476 times
"" Pizza King on Fisher Blvd in Toms River- and I am talking the real one before they opened the resturant and became Baoimonte's and then Mugsy's or whatever. They were great when they were just Pizza King. I remember we got to go to Pizza King once a month on payday and I would get a Pizza Burger and two slices. Occasionally I would switch out the Pizza Burger for an Italian Dog. ""

Pizza King before Baoimonte's adjacent to The Game Room with the Go-Kart track...
Ummm,.. Baoimonte's Pizza King became just Baoimonte's.. the family got old and sold business off to the sport complex you see today.. I'm a 70's kid so for me it was a great place.. I worked at Baoimonte's in the kitchen, the family did the cooking so where did that leave me?

Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,476 times
The Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge that crossed the Barnegat Bay from Bayville to Seaside Park.
The Seaside Park Railroad station which became the firehouse first aid squad island..

The legendary fire that destroyed the bridge and the train that flamed into the night with screams of help unattended to...

December 1 1946:

It was a dark morning on the bay
An unusually thick fog bank was covering the coastal areas into the pine barrens.
PRR New Yorker was leaving Toms River for NYC via Bay Head Jct.
She had 14 cars pulled by a Camel Back.
Out on the bay, a barge captain could not see the small bridge lanterns.
The New Yorker's train engineer did not see the signal stop for the Toms River Fisherman's Pier Station / Pine Island Station and pulled onto the trestle at top line speed 40 mph.
As the New Yorker passed over the draw span, the Barge struck the train bridge erupting the boiler of the barge steamer that spread hot embers all over the passing train and bridge.
The train engineer jumped off and into the bay but drowned.
The New Yorker continued motorman-less @ gained speed as she entered into the Seaside Park Curve.. Stories have it that she derailed on the spur or she barreled into the station flaming cars and set the Seaside Park Station on fire.
Another story has her rolling into the night motorman less until it burned in a wreck over brielle inlet bridge..

Screams heard in the wind to this day of that ghostly train...

Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,877,703 times
Anyone remember Guysmeyers ?? I remember my Dad taking me there to meet Bob Tucker (NY Giants).

Old 11-20-2013, 10:31 PM

166 posts, read 241,196 times
As Bob Hope would have said - "Thanks for the memories!"
I'll try not to repeat any others (until the end). Remember?
Skee ball at Two Guys (from Harrison)
WMCA Good Guys (think AM radio)
Lewellyn Farm restaurant (route 10 west in Morris Plains)
The Joint in the Woods (now the Sheraton Tara hotel in Parsippany)
And in my hometown of Verona : The Claremont Diner (renowned for cheesecake), White Castle next door, and Bonds further down Bloomfield Ave.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:57 AM

989 posts, read 1,879,280 times
Tippy's Charcoal Hearth-Jersey City NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey