Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyOnTheMove View Post
Well, since Tahiti started her Jersey'isms thread, I have been stuck in a time warp, visiting places I haven't been to in years, and finding that some are GONE-

When I was a kid, growing up in Fort Lee, we had Hiram's AND Callahan's, right across the street from each other. I had a family of 7, and we all liked different things, and we'd argue over which 'burger and dog joint we'd go to! When we ordered from Callahan's it was the ONLY time my mother let me drink Yoo Hoo- FROM A BOTTLE no less....Nobody worried that I'd kill myself on the bottle- we didn't have "juice boxes" back then...

The Carvel in Fort Lee was also another favorite place of mine, and I'd always ask the 'dipper' if they had any broken flying saucer cookies, and she would give me a handful of broken cookies....SCORE!

And Michele's Bakery in Fort Lee. Remember when you were a kid, and every time you went into the Bakery with your mom they'd give you one of those little cookies, the ones with the sprinkles on them......

And finally, my favorite Jersey Institution was "Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor" on Route 4. Every dance recital, or Choir recital, or 6th grade graduation...we went to Jahn's and we'd order "The Kitchen Sink" which was like 15 scoops of ice cream and EVERY topping they had!

What are your favorite Jersey Institutions of Yesteryear? What place do you drive by and smile to yourself????
Thanks for reminding me about Jahn's. Wasn't that place great?

I miss The Balcony on Goffle Road in Hawthorne. It was a restaurant that was there for years--had pizza, and we'd go there with the softball teams or Girl Scouts, but they also had good regular food and a great salad bar. I loved their broiled seafood platter. After they were gone, some other restaurant moved in for a time--we tried it, and it was one of those places where your appetizer is a stick of asparagus on a huge plate and your entree is a quarter-sized piece of meat surrounded by garnishes of vegetable shavings and a little potato or something, lol. Didn't last long. Something else is there now, but I haven't been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 PM

989 posts, read 1,878,797 times
I remember a great GO-GO bar in Newark,NJ called "The Bar"..... One of the many places of a misspent youth, which is long gone.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:55 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,029,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordoc View Post
Came to this site by a search for Herm's restaurant. It's older than most of the people making posts here but maybe somebody remembers. I'm listening to tape recordings reel to reel ) from herm's where my mother used to hang out. I'm making her Christmas present from these and I'm looking for any more info I can find.
I used to live a few blocks north of Herm's. Only ate there once or twice but the last time, the busboy was a classmate of mine. It was torn down and replaced by a Burger King sometime in the 1970s or 80s.

You are talking about the restaurant on Park Ave. in the Holly Park section of South Plainfield, right?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,930 times
Anyone remember the ESSO refinery explosion in Linden area? I think it was 1969 or 70 maybe. It was at night & it looked like the sun came up where I was in Morris county. The news said it broke windows in Brooklyn.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:02 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,371,265 times
Here is a blast from the past that will only be remembered by those who are somewhat older than...let's say...50 or so:

The Walker-Gordon Dairy Farm in Plainsboro!

The farm was open to the public, and I recall going there several times as a kid, marveling at their world-famous Rotolactor.
The Rotolactor was a huge carousel-like device that the cows entered in order to be milked. The building was immaculately clean, and there were attendants to clean the cows' udders with sanitizing towels just before they were milked.

The cows were so well-trained that they knew to wait for the next available cubicle coming along on the carousel. When the time was right, the cow would move from the walkway onto a cubicle on the carousel. An attendant would attach the automated milking equipment, and the cow would remain on the carousel for a few minutes as the machinery extracted her milk--which you could see coursing through a network of transparent piping.

When the milking equipment was removed from the cow's udders, it would know that it was time to exit the Rotolactor when it rotated to the exit point.

You could even tour the cowbarns in that era before anyone had to worry about terrorists and food contamination!

I believe that the site of the Walker-Gordon Dairy Farm later became a housing development. How many of you remember this place?

Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 PM

614 posts, read 1,377,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyOnTheMove View Post
Well, since Tahiti started her Jersey'isms thread, I have been stuck in a time warp, visiting places I haven't been to in years, and finding that some are GONE-

When I was a kid, growing up in Fort Lee, we had Hiram's AND Callahan's, right across the street from each other. I had a family of 7, and we all liked different things, and we'd argue over which 'burger and dog joint we'd go to! When we ordered from Callahan's it was the ONLY time my mother let me drink Yoo Hoo- FROM A BOTTLE no less....Nobody worried that I'd kill myself on the bottle- we didn't have "juice boxes" back then...

The Carvel in Fort Lee was also another favorite place of mine, and I'd always ask the 'dipper' if they had any broken flying saucer cookies, and she would give me a handful of broken cookies....SCORE!

And Michele's Bakery in Fort Lee. Remember when you were a kid, and every time you went into the Bakery with your mom they'd give you one of those little cookies, the ones with the sprinkles on them......

And finally, my favorite Jersey Institution was "Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor" on Route 4. Every dance recital, or Choir recital, or 6th grade graduation...we went to Jahn's and we'd order "The Kitchen Sink" which was like 15 scoops of ice cream and EVERY topping they had!

What are your favorite Jersey Institutions of Yesteryear? What place do you drive by and smile to yourself????
Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor... must have been a small chain there was one in Union Nj up until late 90's early 2000's it's now a Rite Aid. and they did have "The kitchen sink" so it had to be the same co.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman116 View Post
Anyone remember the ESSO refinery explosion in Linden area? I think it was 1969 or 70 maybe. It was at night & it looked like the sun came up where I was in Morris county. The news said it broke windows in Brooklyn.
YES. I was babysitting that night in my town in Bergen County, and all of a sudden the house shook. Found out what that was the next day.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,880,247 times
Wow......so many great threads.....let me see if I can remember here. The place on Rt. 35 was the club Bene. The pier pub in long branch burnt down, but I can not remember if that was when the whole boardwalk burnt down. I remember Long Johns in Atlantic Highlands.....great popovers....I was 17 and fondly remember the clubs we would frequent.....royal manor north, colonels garter, brothers 3, arrow lounge, jimmy byrnes, club spanky, pier pub, bucaneer, ships wheel, parker house, d jais, too many to list.......but happy memories.......Oh and I recall stokes state forest on a class trip in 6th grade...catholic school. What a trip!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,880,247 times
Oh I remember the wagon wheel on 35, they had great donuts.....also jersey freeze on 33....and sorrentos on 33 for cheese steaks......of course perkins on 37 as kids on the way to seaside, and hojos on the boarwalk in asbury park as well.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,127,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
Wow......so many great threads.....let me see if I can remember here. The place on Rt. 35 was the club Bene. The pier pub in long branch burnt down, but I can not remember if that was when the whole boardwalk burnt down. I remember Long Johns in Atlantic Highlands.....great popovers....I was 17 and fondly remember the clubs we would frequent.....royal manor north, colonels garter, brothers 3, arrow lounge, jimmy byrnes, club spanky, pier pub, bucaneer, ships wheel, parker house, d jais, too many to list.......but happy memories.......Oh and I recall stokes state forest on a class trip in 6th grade...catholic school. What a trip!
Long johns was at Roxy's pier in highlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey